XPEnology Community

DSM 6.2.2-24922 (and U1/U2/U3) shutdown and restart not working

Acme Chris

Hello,

Did some of you found how to get the DSM (6.2.2+) restart and shutdown functions to work correctly?

Is there something related to BIOS version(s) or settings? Or the issue is in the DSM software itself?

I've updated successfully to 6.2.2-24922-3 on bare-metal systems (both with 1.03b bootloader & DS3615xs and additional HP NC365T Quad Gigabit Intel NIC):

1. HP Microserver G8 with latest BIOS (04/2019). Tried No C-States setting at CPU power management, but behavior is the same
  2. HP Microserver G7 N54L with modded BIOS 041 (2013, Kamzata version). I've tried ACPI 1.0/2.0/3.0 with no success. C1E and PCI-E power management were already disabled (no worky without them disabled)

I've seen many users with successful bare-metal updates and wanted to ask if anybody knows more about the shutdown/restart issue...

Thanks,
Chris

On 10/15/2019 at 9:46 PM, Acme Chris said:

[SOLVED] I guess it's mandatory to disable onboard/embedded NICs (that are not Intel e1000/e1000e) after upgrading to DSM 6.2.2-24922

After disabling them on MS G7 and G8, restart and shutdown functions work as they should

Hi,

you may have an idea or could help me. I struggle with my N54L, the bios update 2013. I'm not able to install the BIOS on a Stick via Win10.

My problem with the bios? After downloading the bios from HP or other sources (SP64420.zip) and running the file HPQUSB.exe, I can select the stick, but then it comes "Device media is write proteced".

...also with other sticks. 
I have tried it on other computers with Win 7/8 and 10, have tried it also by VM and Win 7/8 & 10 on my computer, always the same.
Also tips from the internet "concerning "Device media is write-protected" like (https://www.disk-partition.com/articles/hp-usb-format-tool-failed-format-device-3889.html) don't get me success. 

Do you have an halpful idea?

thanks.

Yes, this might help.

- Launch CMD as Admin with stick attached

- run: diskpart 

- run: list disk

- check the disk number of your stick

- run: select disk <number of your stick>
- run: clean

- run: exit

Check if it’s working with the HP tool after this. If not repeat the steps above and add these steps after „clean“:

- run: create partition primary

- run: active

- run: format fs=fat32 quick

- run: assign

- run: exit

On 10/15/2019 at 9:46 PM, Acme Chris said:

[SOLVED] I guess it's mandatory to disable onboard/embedded NICs (that are not Intel e1000/e1000e) after upgrading to DSM 6.2.2-24922

After disabling them on MS G7 and G8, restart and shutdown functions work as they should

one of the differences when using the 6.2.2 is that in the current state of the loader the tg3 driver will not be loaded after the update

i already have a new extra.lzma for 3615 that contains drivers working with 6.2.2, its not much tested yet and will need a 1.03b loader that was renewed/overwriten with the 6.2.2 kernel

next weekend i plan to document the steps needed to get a working loader to use the new extra.lzma (like when doing a new install) and also want to test and document how to deal with already installed systems

so maybe when using a driver you system will be back to normal (i assume it was working with 6.2.(0))

Edited by IG-88
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

next weekend i plan to document the steps needed to get a working loader to use the new extra.lzma (like when doing a new install) and also want to test and document how to deal with already installed systems

Looking forward to that! Thanks!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, IG-88 said:

i already have a new extra.lzma for 3615 that contains drivers working with 6.2.2, its not much tested yet and will need a 1.03b loader that was renewed/overwriten with the 6.2.2 kernel

Don't suppose you have an updated 1.03b extra.lzma for DS3617 yet please?  :)

(that I could test)

Edited by Hostilian

as 3617 uses the same kernel source (3.10.105) i don't expect to see anything "new" compared to 3615, so (i hope) it will be just redoing steps i've already done for 3615

918+ still needs some work but i guess i should push that back until 3615/17 are both out, for now 3615/17 looks much more like a shorter way to a state where people can use it

i expected to see more interest in 918+ (i was planing to use it for my new hardware) but looks like the 3615/17 is still strong(er?) as install base

• 1 month later...
On 10/16/2019 at 2:23 AM, Acme Chris said:

Hello,

Did some of you found how to get the DSM (6.2.2+) restart and shutdown functions to work correctly?

Is there something related to BIOS version(s) or settings? Or the issue is in the DSM software itself?

I've updated successfully to 6.2.2-24922-3 on bare-metal systems (both with 1.03b bootloader & DS3615xs and additional HP NC365T Quad Gigabit Intel NIC):

1. HP Microserver G8 with latest BIOS (04/2019). Tried No C-States setting at CPU power management, but behavior is the same
  2. HP Microserver G7 N54L with modded BIOS 041 (2013, Kamzata version). I've tried ACPI 1.0/2.0/3.0 with no success. C1E and PCI-E power management were already disabled (no worky without them disabled)

I've seen many users with successful bare-metal updates and wanted to ask if anybody knows more about the shutdown/restart issue...

Thanks,
Chris

i have disabled the onboard NIC Atheros AR8132M NIC , but the restart and shudwon function of N54L (DSM 6.2.2  24922 U4 ) is still not working correctly.  

I've successfully install ed 6.2.2-24922-4 on my Hp N54l  (both with 1.03b bootloader & DS3615xs and additional HP NC360T dual Gigabit Intel NIC):

Is there something related to BIOS version(s) or settings? 

Thanks

Benson 

• 3 months later...