XPEnology Community

6.2.2 Install on HP Z230

bateau

Hello folks.

Can someone offer some tips on how to get through 6.2.2 Update 3 installation. Here's info from my compatibility post:

- Outcome of the update:  FAILED

- DSM version prior update: DSM 6.2.2-24922 Update 3 - FIRST INSTALL

- Loader version and model: JUN'S LOADER v1.04b - DS918+

- Using custom extra.lzma: NO

- Installation type: BAREMETAL -  HP Z230 (Xeon E3-1245 v3 - 8GB - NIC: I217-LM)

Fresh install of 24922 wasn't successful.  The machine rebooted after DSM install and couldn't be found in Synology Assistant or via its IP address.  I did manage to successfully install DSM 6.2.1-23824 Update 6.  Now I'm curious how to go up to 6.2.2.  Not for any particular reason, other than my own curiosity.  I don't have any data on this machine yet.

44 minutes ago, bateau said:

Now I'm curious how to go up to 6.2.2.  Not for any particular reason, other than my own curiosity

you can try a fresh install 6.2.2 with my new extra.lzma (i will have the next version in a few days, that one had some "shortcuts" i'll avoid on the next one and that will not be called test version if it goes as planed)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/21663-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm622-for-3615xs-3617xs-918/

42 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

you can try a fresh install 6.2.2 with my new extra.lzma

Do extra.lzma files have to be added to synoboot.img before making USB or can they be added to flashed USB directly? When flashing on Windows USB contains 2 partitions, one of which is readable by Windows and contains lzma files. 

windows10 (later version) can only access the 2nd partition but thats the one with the extra.lzma so you can replace it afterward

the process is also in the 5.x-6.1 install tutorial here but uses osfmount (as for edition the grub.cfg on the 1st partition)

so you can use the one you have but beware, the install process of 6.2.2 also installs the new 6..2.2 kernel on the usb, so afterward you can only reinstall 6.2.2 with it

2 hours ago, IG-88 said:

but beware, the install process of 6.2.2 also installs the new 6..2.2 kernel on the usb, so afterward you can only reinstall 6.2.2 with it

That explains why I couldn't install 6.1.2 after attempting 6.2.2 install with the same USB.  Had to reflash it from synoboot.img to try again.

At any rate, I attempted to clean install 6.2.2 with your extra.lzma files and ran into same issue.  Not showing up on the network after reboot.  The NIC lights are on and blinking.  If I boot with bootloader in "reinstall" mode, the machine is detected and is listed as "Migratable" with DSM version 6.2.2.

strange, if it comes up in network even once then its not the nic - or i did something wrong with the two extra.lzma's (you did use both?)

both extra and extra2 (should) contain the same drivers so there should be no differences between "first" boot and boot with installed dsm

can you use a serial (null modem) cable to see whats on the console

cant be the network driver your integrated Intel i217LM uses the e1000e driver and i had a card using this driver in my test system and the driver is the latest 3.6.0

Did use both extra.lzma files.  When I was running 6.2.1 I could see that NIC is using e1000e driver.  Z230 doesn't have a serial port.  Is there a FAQ somewhere for how to connect to the console with serial?  I've been able to connect to console over ethernet with that funky Synology root password, but obviously that's not going to work here.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:  I successfully got 6.2.2 installed by adding HP NC360T NIC to the Z230 workstation.

- Outcome of the update:  SUCCESS

- Installation type: BAREMETAL -  HP Z230 (Xeon E3-1245 v3 - 8GB - NIC: HP NC360T)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @bateau @IG-88

I've exactly the same problame with my optiplex 7020.

- Outcome of the update:  FAILED

- Installation type: BAREMETAL -  Dell Optiplex 7020 (I7-4770 - 8GB - NIC: I217-LM)

The only DSM 6.2.1 works me fine, but after I wanted to make a fresh install of 6.2.2 update X, install goes to the end and after restart, network is not respond, cant find my server through synology assistan, ip scanner and my router also cant see it ( seems to turn off), but nic is working and blinking.

Is there any solution or extra.lzma?

How can I try a new update safely without loosing all my data? (try with new pendrive or same pendrive but with a fresh hardrive?)

I tried with your extra.lmza and extra.lmza2 test6  @IG-88 but the issue is the same.

Thanks for help.

Edited by trox

6 minutes ago, trox said:

How can I try a new update safely without loosing all my data?

you dont loose your data when a update goes wrong, you just loose access to your data, the update only changes the system partitions on the disks and does not touch you data raid, in such a semi brick it can be enough to add a new extra.lzma to the usb and on next boot it finishes, had that last week with someone accidentally updating to 6.2.2 with a 3615, test version of a new extra.lzma fixed it

so your date are even more safe in a semi brick state of a dsm installtion, no trojan or ransomeware will be able to harm your data :-)))

if my extra.lzma 918+ 6.2.2 loader 1.04b does not work then you cant update for now, you can try if a different nic solves your problem

atm i'm doing 3615/3617 extra.lzma, after this i will revisit the 918+ and look more closely into it

• Thanks 1

Thank you @IG-88 for your quick answer. 

Just for example: If I update it accidentally to 6.2.2 and and the problame will be the same, the only thing is enough to change the extra.lmza to the original and after that it goes back to 6.2.1, and can reach my datas? 

Sorry for these stupid questions I'm also new here, but I couldn't find answers in the  forum to my exact problames :))

I'm patient, and can wait for your 918+ project. atm.. thanks for your hard work :)

Edited by trox

25 minutes ago, trox said:

Just for example: If I update it accidentally to 6.2.2 and and the problame will be the same, the only thing is enough to change the extra.lmza to the original and after that it goes back to 6.2.1, and can reach my datas? 

no, if you updated to 6.2.2 the only thing that helps is a working extra.lzma (that can be copied to usb after the update and failed boot) or a propper downgrade

just as a example to access your data you can also boot up open media vault from a different media and it will detect the raid with your data (its just a normal linux mdadm and lvm) - that's my plan B when dsm fails and and i'd need access to my data

35 minutes ago, trox said:

I'm patient, and can wait for your 918+ project. atm.. thanks for your hard work

hopefully i will be out of test hardware soon an will stop finding new problems in the 3615/17 extra.lzma, still need to write a lot of text as its not so simple as just using a new extra.lzma with 3615/17 and loader 1.03b, the loader needs to updated too

i have a good amount of ideas what a want to test and do for a new 918+ extra.lzma

8 hours ago, IG-88 said:

propper downgrade

Can you explan me please, what is that mean?

8 hours ago, IG-88 said:

hopefully i will be out of test hardware soon an will stop finding new problems in the 3615/17 extra.lzma, still need to write a lot of text as its not so simple as just using a new extra.lzma with 3615/17 and loader 1.03b, the loader needs to updated too

i have a good amount of ideas what a want to test and do for a new 918+ extra.lzma

Sounds good, keep it up! 

Thank you for you help

2 minutes ago, bateau said:

@trox

I worked around my predicament by ordering HP NC360T dual-gigabit NIC from eBay. This one seems to play nice with 6.2.2 without any extra.lzma changes. They are about $11-14. 

I think one of this option will be solve my problame for the future, I have a single gigabit intel Nic at home, never tried with just that, only with integrated, the reason is that I want to make my server to be Dhcp server, with one input lan from modem and an output to switch.

9 hours ago, trox said:

I think one of this option will be solve my problame for the future, I have a single gigabit intel Nic at home, never tried with just that, only with integrated, the reason is that I want to make my server to be Dhcp server, with one input lan from modem and an output to switch.

Why don't you try installing that gigabit NIC into your server right now?  You have nothing to lose.  If it's supported by 6.2.2, your server will come back on the network. If not, you can proceed with @IG-88's suggestions.

4 hours ago, bateau said:

Why don't you try installing that gigabit NIC into your server right now?  You have nothing to lose.  If it's supported by 6.2.2, your server will come back on the network. If not, you can proceed with @IG-88's suggestions.

Sure, I'll try it at the weekend, my only problame if something goes wrong, can't reach my datas for work, media server for my family and also camera system. That's why I'm careful with updates. :)

update package 4, 918+, files inside:

"linux-4.4.x-apollolake-bin_4.4.15-24922-s4_all.deb", package with new kernel drivers, does not contain a new e1000e.ko driver and there is only "flashupdate_6.2-24922-s3_all.deb" no "s4", that flashupdate could contain a new rd.gz with a new driver

usually a new driver would be in "linux-4.4.x-apollolake-bin_4.4.15-24922*" and "flashupdate*"  and there is no e1000e.ko in all updates

whatever you did its not coming from the dsm updat4

e1000e.ko inside rd.gz u3, version 3.3.4

e1000e. ko in initial 6.2.2, version 3.3.4

so nothing to support your claim that u4 is the reason

i also checked 6.2.0 (v23739), e1000e.ko version 3.3.4

either it worked all the time and you did not noticed it or you introduced a new driver like from my extra.lzma (contains version 3.6.0)

please check log on console with "dmesg" to see whats written to the log, when starting the driver, there should be a version number for the driver in use

also please check with " lspci -k | grep 'Kernel driver' " what vendor- and product-id your i217-lm nic has, that can usually be checked against a driver (source) to see if a device is supported