XPEnology Community

New Install Question

syno406

Question

18 answers to this question

2 hours ago, syno406 said:

AFter installing im unable to find my nas after reboot. USB is still plugged in. Does it write to the drives to boot? This is now the 3rd time im reinstalling. Im on juan 6.1

im running this on an optiplex 790 A10 bios. I had it all working but when i tried to power it back on i went into boot loop

dsm 6.1 so i guess loader 1.02b?

what type? 3615 3617 916+? (seems like that dell would be 2nd gen intel cpu so the 916+ might not work at all)

did you let dsm do updates? it will suggest uüdate to dsm 6.2.2 and if you do this you would at least need loader 1.03b

what network card is used? (onboard intel 82579LM, driver e1000e from what i found. so a "good" one when it comes to drivers as its part of dsm itself)

Edited by IG-88

4 hours ago, IG-88 said:

dsm 6.1 so i guess loader 1.02b?

what type? 3615 3617 916+? (seems like that dell would be 2nd gen intel cpu so the 916+ might not work at all)

did you let dsm do updates? it will suggest uüdate to dsm 6.2.2 and if you do this you would at least need loader 1.03b

what network card is used? (onboard intel 82579LM, driver e1000e from what i found. so a "good" one when it comes to drivers as its part of dsm itself)

im using 3615xs. i tried flashing the usb to do 1.03b also. Im stuck now at the migrate screen. it sees the nas but i keep getting errors like disk not found when trying to migrate. Also nuked my drives to try and start fresh but it still says it detected a previous install. Is there any hope here?

2 minutes ago, syno406 said:

im using 3615xs. i tried flashing the usb to do 1.03b also. Im stuck now at the migrate screen. it sees the nas but i keep getting errors like disk not found when trying to migrate. Also nuked my drives to try and start fresh but it still says it detected a previous install. Is there any hope here?

and then if i can finally load 6.1 on there through syn assistant it says its rebooting and it never comes back up. its like it needs the usb to boot from but if i choose usb the process starts all over

13 minutes ago, syno406 said:

its like it needs the usb to boot from but if i choose usb the process starts all over

Yes, it need's the USB to boot from, as it contains the bootloader.

If it never comes back online after the install, you might have installed a .pat with no drivers for your NIC.

Did you install the .pat manually, or was it automaticly dowloaded from synology?

Edit: seems like someone made it to work on a 790, so it should be possible.

Edited by bearcat
Added a link

6 minutes ago, bearcat said:

Yes, it need's the USB to boot from, as it contains the bootloader.

If it never comes back online after the install, you might have installed a .pat with no drivers for your NIC.

Did you install the .pat manually, or was it automaticly dowloaded from synology?

Edit: seems like someone made it to work on a 790, so it should be possible.

ok, I dont know how but i just magically got in. I was ready to throw in the towel. So my usb with juan boot loader always needs to be in and boot from that correct? Now that im finally in is there anything special i should do so this never happens again? Im afraid to turn the PC off now

6 minutes ago, syno406 said:

ok, I dont know how but i just magically got in. I was ready to throw in the towel. So my usb with juan boot loader always needs to be in and boot from that correct? Now that im finally in is there anything special i should do so this never happens again? Im afraid to turn the PC off now

meaning should i be changing boot order on pc to always boot from usb first now?

:91_thumbsup:Don't you just love it when magic happens :35_thinking:

Yes, your USB with the bootloader will have to stay "forever" in case you ever do a reboot,

making sure USB has boot priority 1 in your BIOS.

You might want to disable any automaticly updates from the controlpanel,

and check in here and read about any updates that might be available before doing them manually.

6 minutes ago, bearcat said:

:91_thumbsup:Don't you just love it when magic happens :35_thinking:

Yes, your USB with the bootloader will have to stay "forever" in case you ever do a reboot,

making sure USB has boot priority 1 in your BIOS.

You might want to disable any automaticly updates from the controlpanel,

and check in here and read about any updates that might be available before doing them manually.

no issue with installing packages though correct?

Just now, bearcat said:

No issues with installing packages :91_thumbsup: (unless they need a valid MAC/SN combo to work).

Thanks. Hoefully last question of the day... 6.2.2-24922 is available. do i need to install that manually or can i download straight from control pannel. and anything i need to know before doing it? Dont want to have to do this whole ordeal again. Literally spent 10 hours on it. 

Thanks. I read through it. I got myself new drives and have to install again. It comes up as migrateable but when it says rebooting its not registering after 10 minutes. Im using 1.03b with dsm 6.2 23739. 

Just trying to get this upgraded to 6.2 before i go to 6.2.2. Can anyone help me please?

image.thumb.png.9010ade0bc8d1e2b9ccd20e0023122bd.png

Edited by syno406
add image

you can read this to estimate

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13922-guide-to-native-drivers-dsm-617-and-621-on-ds3615/

but i'd suggest testing it with a fresh 1.03b loader on a separate usb and a single empty disk

because of the kernel config changes synology introduced related to pcie apm some drivers dont work with 6.2.2

the safe way would be to wait for my new driver package, this drivers are made for this new version but are incompatible to the pre 6.2.2 versions

(so you just can't use a 1.03b image from jun and add this new extra.lzma for better driver support)

also as it will be the first version, my general recommendation will be to test it (like above) to not risk a running system and loose access because drivers i could not test did not work as expected (no data are lost when updating to 6.2.2 and driver problems occur but it can be a hassle to downgrade again and lot of people are not that good with linux to do it  and do not know how dsm works internally to understand the process (its not a "brick" as the term often used here might indicate)