XPEnology Community

HP N40L upgrade to 6.1.7 not showing up on network

Knarf

Question

I'm currently running 5.2-5644.3 and I'd like to update to at least 5.2-5967 which my machine is offering me on the update page.  There was a time that with certain installations that worked, but mostly I remember always reading not to update from within the machine offerings.

So I followed Polanskiman's tutorial on migrating from 5.2 to 6.1.X (Jun's Loader).  I get the same screen shown in the tutorial once I boot but Synology assistant never finds NAS.  Will replacing the NIC solve this problem?  I've seen a reference to that but I think it's for a later version.

One way or another I'd appreciate any direction on either getting 6.1 to work or what bootloader and Pat file I'll need for 5.2-5967.  I've searched and worked on this all week and just can't find the answers I'm looking for so I hope someone here has some info.

Thanks

Frank

Edited by Knarf

@Knarf 

I'n not sure what BIOS version you have, and I'm currently unable to reboot any of my microservers to find the place wher it should be, 

but if you look at the screenpic posted here from a N36L you might find the setting in your BIOS?

If you want to use more than 4 disk's in your NAS, you must upgrade to a modified BIOS,

in "all" the G7 boxes I have configured, I have been using a BIOS from "TheBay" and in that BIOS, there is a option to disable the C1E.

1 hour ago, bearcat said:

@Knarf Try this: 

You might expect a minor "problem" after the update, as someone describe here

the sollution to that problem, you will find here.

Thank you for the reply.   before I did the update I looked in my bios and I do not show any settings for ce1.  Does this mean I need a newer bios for my hpn40l before I proceed again?

Thanks again.

Bearcat,

Thanks for the link to the screenshot of the HP Bios screen.  I double checked and found the option to disable C1E.  It was way down at the bottom of the page and in my late night fog I didn't scroll down far enough.  So after disableing C1E I tried to boot from the usb I made from Polanskiman's tutorial and still not showing up in the network.  Later today or tonight when I have time I will make a new usb stick from your link and try again. 

Thanks for your patience and help.

Frank

Edited by Knarf
No longer valid
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Knarf said:

Bearcat,

Thanks for the link to the screenshot of the HP Bios screen.  I double checked and found the option to disable C1E.  It was way down at the bottom of the page and in my late night fog I didn't scroll down far enough.  So after disableing C1E I tried to boot from the usb I made from Polanskiman's tutorial and still not showing up in the network.  Later today or tonight when I have time I will make a new usb stick from your link and try again. 

Thanks for your patience and help.

Frank

Well I've created a fresh usb with the modded bootloader and I make it to the Happy hacking screen as shown in the tutorial but my machine still does not show up on the network.  My BIOS ID is :041, The version is :07/29/2011.  Do you think I have a BIOS issue or do I need a different NIC? 

This is the result I get from SSH 

ZenStation> lspci|grep 0200
02:00.0 Class 0200: Device 14e4:165b (rev 10)

ZenStation> ethtool -i eth0
driver: tg3
version: 3.137h
firmware-version: 5723-v3.35
bus-info: 0000:02:00.0
supports-statistics: yes
supports-test: yes
supports-eeprom-access: yes
supports-register-dump: yes
supports-priv-flags: no

ZenStation> lspci -k
00:00.0 Class 0600: Device 1022:9601
        Subsystem: Device 103c:1609
00:01.0 Class 0604: Device 103c:9602
00:06.0 Class 0604: Device 1022:9606
        Kernel driver in use: pcieport
00:11.0 Class 0106: Device 1002:4391 (rev 40)
        Kernel driver in use: ahci
00:12.0 Class 0c03: Device 1002:4397
        Kernel driver in use: ohci_hcd
00:12.2 Class 0c03: Device 1002:4396
        Kernel driver in use: ehci-pci
00:13.0 Class 0c03: Device 1002:4397
00:13.2 Class 0c03: Device 1002:4396
00:14.0 Class 0c05: Device 1002:4385 (rev 42)
00:14.1 Class 0101: Device 1002:439c (rev 40)
00:14.3 Class 0601: Device 1002:439d (rev 40)
00:14.4 Class 0604: Device 1002:4384 (rev 40)
00:16.0 Class 0c03: Device 1002:4397
00:16.2 Class 0c03: Device 1002:4396
00:18.0 Class 0600: Device 1022:1200
00:18.1 Class 0600: Device 1022:1201
00:18.2 Class 0600: Device 1022:1202
00:18.3 Class 0600: Device 1022:1203
00:18.4 Class 0600: Device 1022:1204
01:05.0 Class 0300: Device 1002:9712
        Subsystem: Device 103c:705d
        Kernel driver in use: tg3

I unfortunately have no idea what any of this means.  I'm a slightly accomplished home networker but this is way above my head.  I can type in the commands and follow directions (sometimes) but when something goes wrong I'm lost.

Once again thanks for the help.

Edited by Knarf
More Info

11 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

you can try the extra.lzma the tutorial mentions

IG-88,

Thank you for the reply.  I have a couple of questions about the ramdisk, first of all I see 4 versions listed on the page referenced from the link and I do not know how to determine the proper version for my use.  I'm  guessing      " extra.lzma for ds3615 v4.8 ".        Secondly, where do you put this?  I assume this is something that needs to be modified in Jun's loader but I do not know what to do.

Thanks again,

Frank

Edited by Knarf

10 minutes ago, Knarf said:

I do not know how to determine the proper version for my use.

it need to match you loader/dsm image type, if you installed loader 1.02b for 3615 the its the extra.lzma for 3615

10 minutes ago, Knarf said:

Secondly, where do you put this?  I assume this is something that needs to be modified in Jun's loader but I do not know what to do.

its in the tutorial, the part with osf mount

4 - Now launch OSFMount. Select Mount New, then select the 
image file you downloaded earlier (i.e. .img extension file) 
to open. Now select partition 0 (the one that is 15 MB). 
Click Ok. Then at the bottom of the window make sure to un-tick 
the "Read only drive". Click Ok. The partition should now be 
mounted in file explorer. At this point you can navigate to 
the /grub directory and edit the grub.cfg file.

If you need to replace the extra.lzma ramdisk with the custom 
ramdisk provided above then you will also need to mount partition 1 
(the one that is 30 MB). 

as alternative you can plug you usb into a windows pc and you should see the partition with the extra.lzma (sadly the 1st partition with grub.cfg is not shown in newer win10 versions, just asks to format it instead - what you should ignore)

Edited by IG-88

Unfortunately Synology Assistant still can't find NAS on network and ping receives no reply.

COmpletely different question, I've never set a virtual machine but can you tell me if this theory is correct?

1:  Boot into virtual machine

2:  try to update from update window in DSM-this would only be to 5.2-5967

3:  If this works in a virtual machine then try it on the bare metal version thru DSM

Upgrade.JPG

Edited by Knarf

15 hours ago, Knarf said:

Well I've created a fresh usb with the modded bootloader and I make it to the Happy hacking screen as shown in the tutorial but my machine still does not show up on the network.  My BIOS ID is :041, The version is :07/29/2011.  Do you think I have a BIOS issue or do I need a different NIC? 

This is the result I get from SSH 

ZenStation> lspci|grep 0200

ZenStation> ethtool -i eth0
driver: tg3
version: 3.137h
firmware-version: 5723-v3.35
bus-info: 0000:02:00.0
supports-statistics: yes
supports-test: yes
supports-eeprom-access: yes
supports-register-dump: yes
supports-priv-flags: no

Ok, I', a bit confused.... (happends all the time btw. ;-)) 

If you are able to SSH into your box, it IS online, yes?

The above highlited text, is telling me your internal NIC,   HP NC107i (based on BCM5723), is running with the correct driver.

(if memory serves me right, that driver is part of the extra.lmza in Jun's bootloader).

There was a problem with the original BIOS from HP, causing the NIC to not work with Server 2012 and Win 8.1, and it was fixed by a update in 2013.

I'm not sure if that could be related to your problem, as I (and most others) don't use the original HP BIOS.

In addition to "TheBay" as I use, there are other known working mod-BIOS'es, take a look here.

Edit:

Did you use DHCP (with or without fixed lease) or static IP when running DSM 5.x?

Did you use the real MAC or a "fake" MAC in your grub.cfg?

Edit 2:

As can be seen here I have a N40L running DSM 6.2 with only the internal NIC, and a "clean" version of Jun's bootloader.

Edited by bearcat
Added 2 Q's, and a link.

40 minutes ago, bearcat said:

Ok, I', a bit confused.... (happends all the time btw. ;-)) 

If you are able to SSH into your box, it IS online, yes?

The above highlited text, is telling me your internal NIC,   HP NC107i (based on BCM5723), is running with the correct driver.

(if memory serves me right, that driver is part of the extra.lmza in Jun's bootloader).

There was a problem with the original BIOS from HP, causing the NIC to not work with Server 2012 and Win 8.1, and it was fixed by a update in 2013.

I'm not sure if that could be related to your problem, as I (and most others) don't use the original HP BIOS.

In addition to "TheBay" as I use, there are other known working mod-BIOS'es, take a look here.

Edit:

Did you use DHCP (with or without fixed lease) or static IP when running DSM 5.x?

Did you use the real MAC or a "fake" MAC in your grub.cfg?

Edit 2:

As can be seen here I have a N40L running DSM 6.2 with only the internal NIC, and a "clean" version of Jun's bootloader.

Bearcat,

Sorry if I've confused you, I rebooted back to 5.2-5644.  Since it's never been found on the network I've never loaded the new .pat file.  I guess I'll give a new bios a try and see if it will go then.  I use a fixed ip address from the router, DSM set to DHCP.  I use the "real" MAC in the grub file and a serial number from the generator.  Does any of that indicate a problem?

Thanks again,

Frank

Edited by Knarf

@Knarf No problem (as I tend to be easily confused :10_wink: )

It makes sense that you'r on the DSM 5x track, since it's working.

I asked about those things, just in case it was a IP conflict causing the problem,

but you did exactly what I have done, so no problem in regards to that.

btw:

Before you go "all in" and reflash your BIOS, make sure that the C1E support is still listed as "Disabled", 

as my fading memory tells me that you would see that NIC problem if the setting is wrong.

If your Proliant has an AMD processor, like mine, you have to go to the "Advanced" section, "C1E Support" line,

and disable the function, otherwise your server will not appear in the Synology wizard.

Quote stolen from here.

4 hours ago, Knarf said:

DSM set to DHCP.  I use the "real" MAC in the grub file and a serial number from the generator.  Does any of that indicate a problem?

no, setting the mac is only important for WOL or when using a "pair" of SN and mac (surveillance station licensing?), SN might be checked for some plugins or licensing features like certain codes or transcoding

if you just use the image from jun "as is" even without vid/pid change then you should at least see the booted system in network, not setting vid/pid will later result in a error when trying to install DSM pat file, just for checking out if the network drivers are running you can just use the image in its original state (and add a extra.lzma for more drivers if needed)

31 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

no, setting the mac is only important for WOL or when using a "pair" of SN and mac (surveillance station licensing?), SN might be checked for some plugins or licensing features like certain codes or transcoding

if you just use the image from jun "as is" even without vid/pid change then you should at least see the booted system in network, not setting vid/pid will later result in a error when trying to install DSM pat file, just for checking out if the network drivers are running you can just use the image in its original state (and add a extra.lzma for more drivers if needed)

I guess this is not going to work for me.  I've tried all these things including the unmodified loader and then just changing the ramdisk and no results.  One last question, should the original extra.lzma file be deleted and replaced with the extra.lmza or should they both be in the folder?  I deleted and replaced in my case.

Thanks

Edited by Knarf

replace/overwrite, also they can't be in the same folder with the same name - at least not with this file system (FAT)

you know about the access to the local console by serial calbe (null modem)?

that way you can see it its booting up and even login to the console the check the log (dmesg)

you also can try a different network adapter with a intel or realtek chip

1 minute ago, IG-88 said:

replace/overwrite, also they can't be in the same folder with the same name - at least not with this file system (FAT)

you know about the access to the local console by serial calbe (null modem)?

that way you can see it its booting up and even login to the console the check the log (dmesg)

you also can try a different network adapter with a intel or realtek chip

I know these NIC's are different than for a typical PC (smaller?).  Do you know offhand what I should be looking for?  No I'm not familiar with hooking up with a serial cable for access, I do have a monitor connected.

Don't give up, it has to work :91_thumbsup:

as others are using the same combination of HW and bootloader (without other drivers etc.)

Did you doublecheck the C1E setting?

If that is all OK, you may consider flashing the BIOS, since most of the working setups have done so.

When you boot using your working DSM 5.x, you get a reserved IP, what happens if you boot DSM 6.x and try to ping that adress?

If you decide to get a new add-on NIC, you should aim for a NIC that is compatible with DSM 6.2.x (or higher?)

as your internal NIC will stop working if you are using"out-of-the-box" Jun's Loader v1.03b DS3615xs when you upgrade to 6.2.1

Due to the space available, you will need a NIC with a low profile bracket, some new cards sometimes come with both normal and low profile.

I once made a listing in this post of some Intel based cards that should be good for 6.2 but there are others as well.

Personally, I have had good experience with the HP NC360T, that may be found chep on e-bay but be sure to get the low profile bracket.

7 minutes ago, bearcat said:

Don't give up, it has to work :91_thumbsup:

as others are using the same combination of HW and bootloader (without other drivers etc.)

Did you doublecheck the C1E setting?

If that is all OK, you may consider flashing the BIOS, since most of the working setups have done so.

When you boot using your working DSM 5.x, you get a reserved IP, what happens if you boot DSM 6.x and try to ping that adress?

If you decide to get a new add-on NIC, you should aim for a NIC that is compatible with DSM 6.2.x (or higher?)

as your internal NIC will stop working if you are using"out-of-the-box" Jun's Loader v1.03b DS3615xs when you upgrade to 6.2.1

Due to the space available, you will need a NIC with a low profile bracket, some new cards sometimes come with both normal and low profile.

I once made a listing in this post of some Intel based cards that should be good for 6.2 but there are others as well.

Personally, I have had good experience with the HP NC360T, that may be found chep on e-bay but be sure to get the low profile bracket.

Yes, I checked C1E and it had somehow reverted but I changed it and checked it on next boot.  When I ping I receive timed out response.  Thanks for the NIC info.  If I get a better attitude I will flash the BIOS this weekend and see what happens.

Thanks again for all your help.  I could have bought a Synology for all the time I've put into this but I'm like a dog with a bone on these projects, I just want to win!

OK, so I just checked again and the setting for C1E is Enabled again!!! I wonder why it keeps re-enabling itself?

Edited by Knarf

That's the spirit, go for the win:91_thumbsup: 

Anyone (with enough money) can buy a genuine Synology, but what do "we" learn from that? Not much :8_laughing:

It might be that the 6.x bootloader made the BIOS change the C1E setting, as I think "enabled" is the default setting.

And from what I recall, even from some posts in this forum, the G7 internal NIC will never work with C1E enabled.

I'l keep my fingers crossed, and hope you find gold during the weekend.

9 minutes ago, bearcat said:

That's the spirit, go for the win:91_thumbsup: 

Anyone (with enough money) can buy a genuine Synology, but what do "we" learn from that? Not much :8_laughing:

It might be that the 6.x bootloader made the BIOS change the C1E setting, as I think "enabled" is the default setting.

And from what I recall, even from some posts in this forum, the G7 internal NIC will never work with C1E enabled.

I'l keep my fingers crossed, and hope you find gold during the weekend.

Thanks for the encouragement but I just tried again, not found on network.  Checked the C1E controller and it is Enabled again, so is there a different Boot Loader I can use that will not keep enabling this or perhaps will a different bios solve the problem?  I'm truly stumped. (Stuipid?)

Edited by Knarf

47 minutes ago, Knarf said:

Checked the C1E controller and it is Enabled again

c1e is a cpu state, afair with with that enabled the system will work at all with the loader

a monitor on the systems does not help here, you just see the message that i starts the kernel and after that you won't see if the kernel stopped or if there is a driver problem

if you don't  see it in the network i could be both, but in your case its seem more likely that the returning c1e setting is the cause, as we already know its trouble when enabled

47 minutes ago, Knarf said:

, so is there a different Boot Loader I can use that will not keep enabling this or perhaps will a different bios solve the problem?

no, imho the only choice is to find out about c1e option in bios

is there any indication that the system is returnung to bios defaults?

do you cut power between setting it in bios and booting the loader? - if the cmos buffer cell is to old then you might loos bios settings when cutting power

usualy you get a message about the system loosing settings and returning to defaults

try to set date and time in see if it keeps that

On 10/11/2019 at 11:03 AM, IG-88 said:

no, imho the only choice is to find out about c1e option in bios

is there any indication that the system is returnung to bios defaults?

do you cut power between setting it in bios and booting the loader? - if the cmos buffer cell is to old then you might loos bios settings when cutting power

usualy you get a message about the system loosing settings and returning to defaults

try to set date and time in see if it keeps that

IG-88,

I was terribly frustrated and needed to take a little time off from this project.  I flashed a new BIOS to the machine tonight and then I reset the C1E and rebooted and behold the time, date and status of C1E reverted from their changed and correct settings to incorrect time and date and C1E was Enabled again.

I replaced the CMOS battery and reset everything again and yes, it still is reverting to defaults.  By the way the old CMOS battery was reading 3V DC so I don't think that was the problem.

As far as restarting goes, yes I always shut down the system before removing the old flash drive and inserting the new flash drive.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Frank

I have finally succeeded in updating to DSM 6.1.7-15284.

I want to thank Bearcat and IG-88 for all their help and I'll share how I was able to solve my problem and get this to work.

I used Juns Loader 6.1 and I modified the file for the VID, PID, Time delay and used the extra.lmza file instead of the stock lmza.  Updated my bios and disabled C1E.

C1E kept resetting itself and finally a comment by IG-88 about the BIOS always resetting made me think.  I had my old flash drive with the old bootloader in my machine so that I could shut down thru the DSM interface and apparently this was causing the problem.  I took that out, changed the BIOS settings and they held thru multiple power cycles by just using the power button.  I then installed the flash drive with the new bootloader and it took.  I have now cycled the machine numerous times and it seem to be working fine. 

Does anyone know why the old bootloader would have been resetting my BIOS to default? 

Now I have two more questions:

1  I'm receiving a system health warning that says "System Partition Failed"  Is this an issue with the bootloader or a different issue?  Any way to solve this?

2 DSM is offering an update to 6.1.7-152834 Update 3.  Is it OK to dowload this in DSM and use the file for a manual update?  I remember in the past that sometimes this was not recommended and could cause problems.

Once again thanks to Bearcat and IG-88.  I never would have been able to get this solved without their help.

Frank

System Health.JPG

DSM Update.JPG

First thing first: congrats :-) I know how frustrating these things can be, and sometimes you just need some time away from it, to be able to "reboot the brain".

Now, you have it running, at least a good starting point.

The update 3 is all OK for your system, as can be seen right here (among other places).

Notice that he did not use any custom extra.lzma.

I have scratched my head in regards to your BIOS resets,

as I recall some problems from long ago, where one common thing, was the use of power-savings and some old bootloaders.

If you have a look here or here you will see some old stuff in regards to that.

One "easy fix" seems to be password protecting the BIOS after setting it the way you want it.

btw: What BIOS did you finally use to flash your system?

In regards to your System Partition Failed, that is more problematic..

How does it look from the "Storage Manager"?

Anything like this?

According to Synology there should be a link offering you to "Repair the system partition" do you see that ?

if you don't get the link (or it don't help) you might want to do a manually fsck

You may want to do some reading here for basic info and here and here for more Syno related info.