XPEnology Community

SN/MAC - Does it affect the original owner?

BullFrog

Question

8 answers to this question

As mentioned in the FAQ, the XPE community discourages using genuine sn and macs as its a breach of Synologys terms of use.

Also, its known that all syno installations (real or XPE) regularly 'phone home' to various synology servers so its possible that calls from two different external IP addresses from 'the same' device might be an issue, just what I wouldnt know, but most probably if your friend is using quick connect it could be.

I made a test with a real 918+ I bought and a Xpenology (flashed the MACs to an Intel dual port NIC, serial and same MACs in grub.cfg). Only one system was online, never both of them. At first I could login to my Synology account within DSM on the Xpenology, but didn’t activate QC. Shut down the system and started the real 918+ for the first time. After a few hours I shut it down, powered on the Xpenology box and after that I couldn’t login to my Synology account within DSM anymore (login window displays a spinning circle forever). The same happened with a DS3615. So I think there are many ways for Synology to keep an eye on „fake“ boxes beside serial numbers and MACs.

Alright, it is 2 days late, but how can I change SN or MAC the easiest way? I don't want him any trouble.

Does simply editing existing grub file on the boot pendrive enough?

edit. Turned it off and pendrive is in my computer but can't mount the grub file...

Can I make a new pendrive and reinstall the system without loosing all the stuff I setup in the last 2 days? (docker etc)

edit2 - google is my friend, right? I will try this:

"chaning the mac adress from the grub menu worked perfectly. 

--> by pressing C in grub menu, enter "mac1 your_mac" in command line, then ESC and boot."

CAN the SN stay the original? MAC will be the hardware MAC of the device

Edited by BullFrog

You can assign a drive letter to the first partition of your boot stick with freeware tools. One of it is the MiniTool Partition Wizard (look at the thread Xpenology Tool for Windows...). Start the tool, right click on the first partition of your stick and choose „assign drive letter“. After that click on „apply“ on the upper left menu. Now you can browse into the grub folder, open, edit and save your grub.cfg. Once you‘re done go back to the Partition Wizard, right click the first partition, „assign drive letter“ -> none and apply. No rocket science 🙂

Edited by jensmander

Good idea, now it is working with the new MAC address but I save this method for later use! (or should I change the SN too?)

Btw when you tested, did the original Synology drive get back on track and worked after a while (DSM login), or you had to reinstall it to use normally again?