XPEnology Community

DSM Nas won't boot after powercut

Saph69

Question

Hey Guys

I recently had a powercut, when trying to reboot my nas i got the following error.

I was first prompted with a login screen. When trying to login i get the following message.

can't chdir to home directory /var/services/home"username"

Can't run /sbin/nologin: No such file or directory

Iv'e had the nas running for almost 2 years without problems atall :( Running DSM 5.2

Appericiate any help i can get.

Screenshot of error - https://imgur.com/YXNcrNT

Edited by Saph69

4 answers to this question

you should be able to login to the console as 'root' and 'your admin pw' to check the files and or if you have telnet enabled use winscp to check directories, assuming the box has an ip address (pingable?)

if you have a spare hdd then disconnect your raid, boot with that connected and install dsm with same station name/admin pw but no volume, on reboot check for same errors (dodgy usb, try a new one?) but if the clean dsm works ok then leave that hdd attached to channel 1, reconnect other drives and boot, the 'good' system partition on channel 1 should repair the array disks you can then disconnect spare hdd etc. maybe look at updating to 6.1/6.2 as well

Thanks alot for the fast reply Sbv3000.

I am unable to ping the machine on the network so i have no way to remote it currently.

I did however manage to login using the root username, but my lack of linuix commands is limited, so i need to read up on how to check disks/files.

Will defintly look into upgrading to 6.1/6.2 aswell, if i'm able to salvage this :)

On 10/8/2019 at 4:37 PM, sbv3000 said:

you should be able to login to the console as 'root' and 'your admin pw' to check the files and or if you have telnet enabled use winscp to check directories, assuming the box has an ip address (pingable?)

if you have a spare hdd then disconnect your raid, boot with that connected and install dsm with same station name/admin pw but no volume, on reboot check for same errors (dodgy usb, try a new one?) but if the clean dsm works ok then leave that hdd attached to channel 1, reconnect other drives and boot, the 'good' system partition on channel 1 should repair the array disks you can then disconnect spare hdd etc. maybe look at updating to 6.1/6.2 as well

I'm up and running again! 

Created a new bootable USB pen with version 6.1. Reinstalled the Nas using an extra HDD has you recommended, then reconnected my raid afterwards.

Everything seems to be running fine, and all data is intact.

Thanks again for the help