Driver extension jun 1.03b/1.04b for DSM6.2.2 for 3615xs / 3617xs / 918+


Recommended Posts

Hi,

 

Can someone please teach me how to install a fresh copy of my DSM?  

 

I followed some steps but when i got to the installation step, it stopped and it shows that no hard disk is connected.

 

I have followed steps to change the extra.lzma but that made the whole thing worse by making the NAS server disappear from my LAN altogether.  

 

I seriously need help.. can someone please help me on this..

 

Thanks and appreciated.
Felix

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, noobieFelix said:

Hi,

 

Can someone please teach me how to install a fresh copy of my DSM?  

 

I followed some steps but when i got to the installation step, it stopped and it shows that no hard disk is connected.

 

I have followed steps to change the extra.lzma but that made the whole thing worse by making the NAS server disappear from my LAN altogether.  

 

I seriously need help.. can someone please help me on this..

 

Thanks and appreciated.
Felix

 

I posted a step by step instructions a couple posts back here. 

 

Try to follow them and maybe you'll know where the problem is. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, man67 said:

plz tell me what is the situation with drivers for a network card virtio? If they work - how to install them?

 

manual load with insmod and check

 

15 hours ago, man67 said:

 

There were reports that only e1000 works ...

 

where?

i did not get any positive feedback that anything with virtio was working, maybe two negatives, as there is the recent source now available i will make new drivers, also virtio, maybe i will make a special test version for this to make it easier for people to test, might produce more feedback (not that i could answer question about kvm, never used it)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the driver package.

I have a QNAP TS451 with J1800 and I210 ethernet working but without hw transcode (yeah this is the only thing that doesn't work). LAN works fine so as the WOL and it shuts down and reboots without any problems.

I tried to replace with the "syno" driver package and it seems nothing changes.

Also tried fresh install with std package, but the ethernet doesn't work after the first synology assistant install procedure. After the first reboot, the ethernet dies.

 

Any hints?

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

13 minutes ago, easy113 said:

I tried to replace with the "syno" driver package and it seems nothing changes.

what did you replace? if you change the packeges without cleaning the drivers in upddate folder you might get different results depending on what you had there before

 

On 10/6/2019 at 9:07 PM, IG-88 said:

if really wanting to test with a running 6.2.x system then you should empty /usr/lib/modules/update/ and /usr/lib/firmware/i915/ before rebooting with the new extra/extra2
rm -rf /usr/lib/modules/update/*
rm -rf /usr/lib/firmware/i915/*

 

 

11 minutes ago, easy113 said:

Also tried fresh install with std package, but the ethernet doesn't work after the first synology assistant install procedure. After the first reboot, the ethernet dies.

how doe you know? the fact you can't find it in network is no proof of that, more likely the kernel/driver crash on boot

 

try a fresh install to a empty disk with syno

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, IG-88 said:

 

what did you replace? if you change the packeges without cleaning the drivers in upddate folder you might get different results depending on what you had there before

 

 

 

how doe you know? the fact you can't find it in network is no proof of that, more likely the kernel/driver crash on boot

 

try a fresh install to a empty disk with syno

 

I did those rm -rf  commands before replacing the package and replaced the syno package nothing seems to change so I decided to pull out all HDDs and make a fresh install.

 

I tried a very fresh install by installing with new HDD. How do I know the ETH doesn't work? By looking the LEDs on the ETH ports, they don't even light up and also in my router page they don't appear to be active.

Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW, I got this from "ls /dev/dri/"

Quote


card0  controlD64  renderD128
 

 

And as for "cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/i915_frequency_info" I got this

 

Quote

PUNIT_REG_GPU_FREQ_STS: 0x0000c0d0
DDR freq: 1333 MHz
actual GPU freq: 187 MHz
current GPU freq: 187 MHz
max GPU freq: 792 MHz
min GPU freq: 187 MHz
idle GPU freq: 187 MHz
efficient (RPe) frequency: 687 MHz
Current CD clock frequency: 333333 kHz
Max CD clock frequency: 400000 kHz
Max pixel clock frequency: 360000 kHz
 

 

There is something wrong with is isn't it? The Plex works fine but it can't handle any hardware transcode. For example when MPEG2 from a DVDRIP needs to be transcoded, it just stuck, but the machine won't reboot nor crash only the video just not gonna play. So as VC-1 videos.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, easy113 said:

How do I know the ETH doesn't work? By looking the LEDs on the ETH ports, they don't even light up and also in my router page they don't appear to be active.

 

the output of the serial console will be the thing to check but some system dont have a serial port anymore and most people dont have a nullmodem cable around (millennials might not even know what a nullmodem cable is without looking it up), you could even login the system this way (if it comes up its also possible that there is a kernel crash and the system freezes, you cant see the difference from looking at the video signal, that stops soon after booting)

 

9 hours ago, easy113 said:

BTW, I got this from "ls /dev/dri/"

that at least looks like the i915 driver was loaded as there are devices below /dev/dri

if you see this and you have network working your problem could be seen as solved

 

i cant do anything about the driver itself as i dont have the source (jun included newer i915 drivers in 1.04b but i dont have source to recompile them and i also not able to do a new backuprt of i915 drivers to the 4.4.59 kernel of dsm)

its kind of the same for the native driver from sysnology that comes with dsm

thats more or less the reasons why there are syno and std to choose, binary drivers from two partys we cant change

 

you can try to use the internal transcoding from synology with this

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/24864-transcoding-without-a-valid-serial-number/

plex can have issues by itself on some systems, i doe remember some threads about specific problems with synology and plex where you had to delete some files from plex to make it work

 

 

2 hours ago, TeddyLU said:

Excuse me, may I know if this will help for using realtek r8125 in 918+,thank you so much

 

i was about so say it should be possible to see this by looking at "drivers included (Reveal hidden contents)" in the 1st post here but looks like i did not look into that list for a while, i added 4 realtek nic's and now your r8125 is there too - so yes it should work, i did a new driver and if there is newer source and a newer chip/phy turrns up that need a newer version i will make a newer driver

beside my list you can also open the extra.lzma and look what *.ko files are in, you should see r8125.ko there too

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

 

the output of the serial console will be the thing to check but some system dont have a serial port anymore and most people dont have a nullmodem cable around (millennials might not even know what a nullmodem cable is without looking it up), you could even login the system this way (if it comes up its also possible that there is a kernel crash and the system freezes, you cant see the difference from looking at the video signal, that stops soon after booting)

 

that at least looks like the i915 driver was loaded as there are devices below /dev/dri

if you see this and you have network working your problem could be seen as solved

 

i cant do anything about the driver itself as i dont have the source (jun included newer i915 drivers in 1.04b but i dont have source to recompile them and i also not able to do a new backuprt of i915 drivers to the 4.4.59 kernel of dsm)

its kind of the same for the native driver from sysnology that comes with dsm

thats more or less the reasons why there are syno and std to choose, binary drivers from two partys we cant change

 

you can try to use the internal transcoding from synology with this

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/24864-transcoding-without-a-valid-serial-number/

plex can have issues by itself on some systems, i doe remember some threads about specific problems with synology and plex where you had to delete some files from plex to make it work

 

 

 

i was about so say it should be possible to see this by looking at "drivers included (Reveal hidden contents)" in the 1st post here but looks like i did not look into that list for a while, i added 4 realtek nic's and now your r8125 is there too - so yes it should work, i did a new driver and if there is newer source and a newer chip/phy turrns up that need a newer version i will make a newer driver

beside my list you can also open the extra.lzma and look what *.ko files are in, you should see r8125.ko there too

 

 

I'll have a look into it. Thanks for reply!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I used currently the Jun's Bootloader 1.02 alpha for DS3615x on an AS Rock J3455 Mainboard. DSM-Version is 6.1.1-15101 Update 2

I want to upgrade to a the new DSM Version 6.2.


I prepared a new USB Stick with Jun's Bootloader V1.03b, modify VID, PID from the USB Stick and the Serial/MAC from my actual system. Also i have overwrite the zImage and rd.gz from the DSM updatefile.

 

I replaced the usb stick, but i can not find the DSM and the router shows me none IP.
After that i overwrite the extra.lzma file from extra3615_v0.5_test.

Same problem. i have no network connection.

 

Anyone an idea?

Thanks and Greetings

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Nybass2 said:

I prepared a new USB Stick with Jun's Bootloader V1.03b, modify VID, PID from the USB Stick and the Serial/MAC from my actual system. Also i have overwrite the zImage and rd.gz from the DSM updatefile.

 

I replaced the usb stick, but i can not find the DSM and the router shows me none IP.
After that i overwrite the extra.lzma file from extra3615_v0.5_test.

Same problem. i have no network connection.

if you used the new extra.lzma, zImage and rd.gz for 6.2.2 then the only problem that might be left could be uefi/csm

loader 1.03b only supports bios/csm

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

so make sure your uefi is set to csm active, save, reboot, go into bios and look for a non uefi usb boot device  (usually there are two uefi devices as for 1st and 2nd partition of the usb device, there has to to be a 3rd one without mentioning of a partition as a "classic" bios like boot device)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, IG-88 said:

so make sure your uefi is set to csm active, save, reboot, go into bios and look for a non uefi usb boot device  (usually there are two uefi devices as for 1st and 2nd partition of the usb device, there has to to be a 3rd one without mentioning of a partition as a "classic" bios like boot device)

 

 

Thanks for the ideas - I still have the problem with no network connection :(

 

I checked into the BIOS that CSM is active.
I saw that the 3rd partition of the USB Stick was placed 4th in the boot order (after the hdd). I placed it at position 3 and hoped that the problem is fixed.
Unfortunately without any success.

Can i do something else?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nybass2 said:

Can i do something else?

start from scratch, check every file you used and if there is no name making clear what type/version it is download or unpack it again

just to check for booting and to find it in network you don't need to change grub.cfg (vid/pid is most important but will only be relevant when installing the pat file)

just replace extra.lzma, zImahe and rd.gz - its faster hat way and if it works you can change grub.cfg later

 

also the dsm usb boot device should be without a partition marking, only uefi supports booting from different partitions of one device

on my test system it needed a reboot (with the usb drive connected) and then to go into bios to see it as boot device

 

also with your hardware you could use the 1.04b 918+ loader and "syno" extra/extra2

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

also with your hardware you could use the 1.04b 918+ loader and "syno" extra/extra2

 

I want to update my actual DS3615x system to a newer version. Therefore i used the Bootloader v1.03b.

The system boots from the usb stick - i see the message "screen will stop updating shortly, please open http://find.synology.com.
I check on my router if any device on LAN is connected.

 

Even with a new usb stick where I replaced the 3 files (without modify grub.cfb), I can not find the device in the network.

 

Can i create a new usb stick with 1.04b 918+ loader and check if i find the system in the network?! After that i could plug the "old" usb stick and the system starts again?

What happens if i will use the 1.04b 918+ loader on my 1.02a 3615x system?

 

 

Edited by Nybass2
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Nybass2 said:

Can i create a new usb stick with 1.04b 918+ loader and check if i find the system in the network?! After that i could plug the "old" usb stick and the system starts again?

yes as long as you just boot the 918+ loader nothing will happen to your disks, its just to check if its found in network and the conclusion would be its about uefi/csm as 918+ does support uefi and 3615 does not

 

Quote

What happens if i will use the 1.04b 918+ loader on my 1.02a 3615x system?

 

if you continue installing (vid/vid must be set) the assistant will offer to migrate to the new system, you will keep your settings and data but i guess most of the (3rd party) plugins need to be reinstalled and you might not get all plugins for 918+, if that is important you can check by making a 918+ install to a single empty disk (disconnect "old" disks) and after installing check if you can get your plugins installed

 

Edited by IG-88
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

yes as long as you just boot the 918+ loader nothing will happen to your disks, its just to check if its found in network and the conclusion would be its about uefi/csm as 918+ does support uefi and 3615 does not

 

Fine, with this loader i can find the DSM.

 

45 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

if you continue installing (vid/vid must be set) the it will offer to migrate to the new system, you will keep your settings and data but i guess most of the (3rd party) plugins need to be reinstalled and you might not get all plugins for 918+, if that is important you can check by making a 918+ install to a single empty disk (disconnect "old" disks) and after installing check if you can get your plugins installed

 

 

I will check if i am using 3rd party applications and then simply migrate to the 918+

Thanks for the information and help.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, premikkoci said:

Hi, is there any update about hw acceleration on gemini lake with the newest dsm?

 

no, as jun left no source code to recompile the driver we would need to have someone backporting i915 driver to synology's DSM 6.2.2 kernel (4.4.59)
https://01.org/linuxgraphics

https://sourceforge.net/projects/dsgpl/files/Synology%20NAS%20GPL%20Source/24922branch/apollolake-source/linux-4.4.x.txz/download

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, premikkoci said:

So the most probable solution would be if Synology released new models based on gemini lakes?

if someone hack it the too

afaik gemini lake works with 6.2.0 and jun's drivers from 1.04b

the fact that its not working with 6.2.2 indicates that it might be as simple as recompiling the driver for 6.2.2, so the "smallest" solution might be if jun still have the i915 source he used for 1.04b and drop it somewhere

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there!
As  DSM 6.2.2 does not show S.M.A.R.T info under ESXI 6.7 as SATA and with LSI Logic SAS the drives do not show up even adding the extra.lzma, I decided to give it a try to DSM 6.2.0 and LSI Logic SAS and it works! Is there an extra.lzma for 6.2.0 ever built? Could I use the same from 6.2.2?

For DS3617xs I mean.
Thanks a lot and keep it up!

Edited by aristone
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, aristone said:

Hi there!
As  DSM 6.2.2 does not show S.M.A.R.T info under ESXI 6.7 as SATA and with LSI Logic SAS the drives do not show up even adding the extra.lzma, I decided to give it a try to DSM 6.2.0 and LSI Logic SAS and it works! Is there an extra.lzma for 6.2.0 ever built? Could I use the same from 6.2.2?

For DS3617xs I mean.
Thanks a lot and keep it up!

 

Please don't mind to answer. Thank you. I found a way to pass-through the whole controller and going forward with 6.2.2.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.