XPEnology Community

Driver extension jun 1.03b/1.04b for DSM6.2.2 for 3615xs / 3617xs / 918+

IG-88

On 6/26/2020 at 5:59 PM, IG-88 said:

depends on the dsm version you want to install but just for trying to find it in network you just boot up 1.03b as it comes, even the vid/pid (usb) part is not important as long as its just about loader booting and not installing dsm

the kernel and extra together is needed for 6.2.2, on 6.2.3 i'd suggest it but in most case the newer extra will work with the older 6.2.0 kernel in the loader

the basic booting is working but in case of loader 1.03b you could still fail when the uefi boot device is used

only way is to use a serial cable and a console (like putty) to see whats going on during boot

So I have hit a bit of a brick wall, I tried to create a new bootable usb using both win32diskimager and rufus using your latest 6.2.3 extra.lmza and the zImage and rd.gz from the latest DSM 6.2.3. The issue I have is that if i leave uefi boot enable in the bios I get as far as the boot loader but it is not found in find.synology, if I disable uefi boot I just end up a blank screen without even seeing the boot loader screen. Do you have any ideas on anything else I can try or maybe point out where I could be going wrong?  

The usb device name in the bios is KingstonDataTraveler G3 1.00 in case that helps

Edited by Mitt27

22 hours ago, Mitt27 said:

The issue I have is that if i leave uefi boot enable in the bios I get as far as the boot loader but it is not found in find.synology, if I disable uefi boot I just end up a blank screen without even seeing the boot loader screen. Do you have any ideas on anything else I can try or maybe point out where I could be going wrong?  

usually loader 1.02b (dsm 6.1) i s a safe bet

read this

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

might help to see why  uefi (without csm) might not work

3615/17, loader 1.03b

when using csm/legacy mode in bios is also important to restart again after activating it to see the non uefi boot device of the usb, that would be the one to choose

918+, loader 1.04b

i dont know what cpu you use but this loader need a cetain minimal cpu type, for intel it's haswell

from the specs it looks like a piledriver capable board and these A4/A6/A8/A10 cpu's should at least boot with 918+ loader

48 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

usually loader 1.02b (dsm 6.1) i s a safe bet

read this

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

might help to see why  uefi (without csm) might not work

Yes I am using 1.02b at the minute but that is booting in uefi mode, same thing happens with my other usb drive with 1.02b if I disable this and use legacy boot.

49 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

3615/17, loader 1.03b

when using csm/legacy mode in bios is also important to restart again after activating it to see the non uefi boot device of the usb, that would be the one to choose

I have gave this another try but same result unfortunatley

49 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

918+, loader 1.04b

i dont know what cpu you use but this loader need a cetain minimal cpu type, for intel it's haswell

from the specs it looks like a piledriver capable board and these A4/A6/A8/A10 cpu's should at least boot with 918+ loader

Can I use uefi boot with 918+ or is it across the board for this release that needs to be booted in legacy? I am using an AMD FX770k which is socket FM2+ (piledriver) so might give this a try if its uefi compatible. 

21 hours ago, Mitt27 said:

Can I use uefi boot with 918+ or is it across the board for this release that needs to be booted in legacy?

did you have a look into the link above?

it documents the capabilities for each loader

918+ can do uefi but its kernel need certain cpu features intel haswell and newer and persumably pildriver as min. for amd

afair i used a A8 about two years ago to test 918+ drivers

1 hour ago, IG-88 said:

did you have a look into the link above?

it documents the capabilities for each loader

918+ can do uefi but its kernel need certain cpu features intel haswell and newer and persumably pildriver as min. for amd

afair i used a A8 about two years ago to test 918+ drivers

Yeah have just re tried again using 918+ loader but same result unfortunately :( I don't even have a serial port on the motherboard either to try and see what is going on behind the scenes.  

Unless you have anymore ideas I guess I will have to stick with 6.1.7.

8 hours ago, Mitt27 said:

would you happen to know if adding a serial pci card would work to allow me to try and debug the issue? 

at least not so easy, i had a pcie serial card for testing this, disabled the onboard, plugged int the card and tried the serial cable (working with the onboard before) - it did not work, it might be possible to get it working by having some changes in grub.cfg but i did not test this as it was just a quick test with a card i borrowed

there is a line in grub.cfg  that hints it might be possible to do something

#set extra_args_3617='earlycon=uart8250,io,0x3f8,115200n8 earlyprintk loglevel=15'

i've never looked into the kernel option for this and whats possible, all the systems i had and have are still having a serial port that worked

earlycon=   [KNL] Output early console device and options.

When used with no options, the early console is
        determined by the stdout-path property in device
        tree's chosen node.

cdns,<addr>
        Start an early, polled-mode console on a cadence serial
        port at the specified address. The cadence serial port
        must already be setup and configured. Options are not
        yet supported.

uart[8250],io,<addr>[,options]
    uart[8250],mmio,<addr>[,options]
    uart[8250],mmio32,<addr>[,options]
    uart[8250],mmio32be,<addr>[,options]
    uart[8250],0x<addr>[,options]
        Start an early, polled-mode console on the 8250/16550
        UART at the specified I/O port or MMIO address.
        MMIO inter-register address stride is either 8-bit
        (mmio) or 32-bit (mmio32 or mmio32be).
        If none of [io|mmio|mmio32|mmio32be], <addr> is assumed
        to be equivalent to 'mmio'. 'options' are specified
        in the same format described for "console=ttyS<n>"; if
        unspecified, the h/w is not initialized.

pl011,<addr>
    pl011,mmio32,<addr>
        Start an early, polled-mode console on a pl011 serial
        port at the specified address. The pl011 serial port
        yet supported.  If 'mmio32' is specified, then only
        the driver will use only 32-bit accessors to read/write
        the device registers.

meson,<addr>
        Start an early, polled-mode console on a meson serial
        port at the specified address. The serial port must
        already be setup and configured. Options are not yet
        supported.

msm_serial,<addr>
        Start an early, polled-mode console on an msm serial
        port at the specified address. The serial port
        yet supported.

msm_serial_dm,<addr>
        Start an early, polled-mode console on an msm serial
        dm port at the specified address. The serial port
        yet supported.

smh Use ARM semihosting calls for early console.

s3c2410,<addr>
    s3c2412,<addr>
    s3c2440,<addr>
    s3c6400,<addr>
    s5pv210,<addr>
    exynos4210,<addr>
        Use early console provided by serial driver available
        on Samsung SoCs, requires selecting proper type and
        a correct base address of the selected UART port. The
        serial port must already be setup and configured.
        Options are not yet supported.

lpuart,<addr>
    lpuart32,<addr>
        Use early console provided by Freescale LP UART driver
        found on Freescale Vybrid and QorIQ LS1021A processors.
        A valid base address must be provided, and the serial
        port must already be setup and configured.

armada3700_uart,<addr>
        Start an early, polled-mode console on the
        Armada 3700 serial port at the specified
        address. The serial port must already be setup
        and configured. Options are not yet supported.

edit: the kernel config from synology seems to support pci based 16550 so there might be pci/pcie card supported be this

<*> 8250/16550 and compatible serial support                    
 [ ]   Support 8250_core.* kernel options (DEPRECATED)           
 [ ]   8250/16550 PNP device support                             
 [*]   Console on 8250/16550 and compatible serial port          
 [*]   DMA support for 16550 compatible UART controllers         
 <*>   8250/16550 PCI device support                             
 (4)   Maximum number of 8250/16550 serial ports                 
 (4)   Number of 8250/16550 serial ports to register at runtime  
 [*]   Extended 8250/16550 serial driver options                 
 [*]     Support more than 4 legacy serial ports                 
 [*]     Support for sharing serial interrupts         

Edited by IG-88

So I accidentally updated 6.2.2 to 6.2.3 and lost network find ability although the dsm continued to function. From this thread I was under the impression that I could use Ext2fds .69 to assign drive letters to my USB and then replace the two .extra files on the second partition with those from the OP. There must be something more because it wants to do a reinstall which fails. What did this Noob miss?

Asus X99m Intel 4770k 

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, -iliya- said:

Adaptec (Microsemi) ASR(RAID+RAW or HBA modes) 71605 supports in DSM ?

the driver would be aacraid and that one is present but to be sure we would need to check the vid/pid if its in the driver (there a a driver from 2017 on adaptecs homepage we could use if needed) can you use lspci to check whats the vid/pid

i guess its this one?

http://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/9005/028c/90050501

the driver coantians this

alias=pci:v00009005d0000028Csv*sd*bc*sc*i*

so i guess all subdevices of 9005:028c will be supported

JMB 585 seems to support (software) RAID and non RAID. any ideas if there is actually a difference here, or just amazon fluff and BS

https://www.amazon.ca/ADWITS-Express-Expansion-Controller-Software/dp/B07X27R477/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=jmb585&qid=1595879950&sr=8-7

https://www.amazon.ca/Internal-Non-Raid-Controller-Desktop-Bracket/dp/B07ST9CPND/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=jmb585&qid=1595878196&sr=8-8

I like the first one as it has activity lights and a little cheaper but ....

same chipset so I expect support is there ...

Edited by mervincm

35 minutes ago, mervincm said:

JMB 585 seems to support (software) RAID and non RAID. any ideas if there is actually a difference here, or just amazon fluff and BS

no difference, software raid is what synology uses, the JMB585 has no the slightest RAID functionality of its own, JMicron names it "PCIe Gen3x2 to 5 SATA 6Gb/s Bridge" in the data sheet, it not even contains the word raid

just some mockery and translation problems

i have the card without the (questionable) m.2 sata option (1st link) and both cards have 5 activity led's

On 7/27/2020 at 2:47 PM, IG-88 said:

no difference, software raid is what synology uses, the JMB585 has no the slightest RAID functionality of its own, JMicron names it "PCIe Gen3x2 to 5 SATA 6Gb/s Bridge" in the data sheet, it not even contains the word raid

just some mockery and translation problems

i have the card without the (questionable) m.2 sata option (1st link) and both cards have 5 activity led's

I understand the difference between software RAID and hardware RAID. I was wondering if one of the cards had its own BIOS or some bizzarre hooks into the motherboard firmware to allow that to function. The vendor says RAID is supported if the motherboard supports it. I can't imagine what that could mean, or what RAID functionality would depend on the motherboard support. As an HBA, you can use standard operating system RAID independantly from the motherboard features. This vendor also states you can boot from it provided bios supports it.

The second one says storage only no boot, and non-raid. perhaps it wont be bootable, but it is an HBA so it will absolutely support software based RAID. 

They just seem to have very different descriptions for what are in all likely functionally identical.

I ordered the same card as you, as well as an m2 version. I have an unused PCIE3-2x m2 that would be perfect, so I thought why they heck not try it out. I am concerned it will be fragile more than anything else to be honest.

Edited by mervincm

On 7/28/2020 at 12:28 PM, p3t3 said:

Anybody knows Intel I225 series supports in DSM? 

pci id: https://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/IGC.html

if don't support, please add support it.

there seems to be no driver for older kernels 4.459 or 3.10.105 synology uses, just the versions inside newer kernels like 4.20 or 5.0

if you spot a backported version let us know and i will try to compile it

21 hours ago, mervincm said:

I ordered the same card as you, as well as an m2 version. I have an unused PCIE3-2x m2 that would be perfect, so I thought why they heck not try it out. I am concerned it will be fragile more than anything else to be honest.

i had something below the m.2 card when i tested it, no way you could plug sata cable without that, you might break the thin pcb

Edited by IG-88
  • Thanks 1

Hello all,

I'm trying to install DSM with 1.0.3b bootloader and It doesn't boot up just blinking the cursor. 

The results are the same with 1.04b also...

My pc is HP Pro 3300 MT with Sandy Bridge (Intel G840 , 2.8 Ghz)

As HP's datasheet said it has:

Intel H61 Express chipset 

The NIC is HP Pro 3300: Realtek RTL8171E Gigabit Ethernet controller 

Which I couldn't find in the list.

Does it possible to add it? 

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Sleepy

On 7/30/2020 at 5:39 AM, IG-88 said:

there seems to be no driver for older kernels 4.459 or 3.10.105 synology uses, just the versions inside newer kernels like 4.20 or 5.0

if you spot a backported version let us know and i will try to compile it

i had something below the m.2 card when i tested it, no way you could plug sata cable without that, you might break the thin pcb

Getting this on CentOS 7 (it uses 3.10 kernel), So this driver compatible on DSM?

and centos7 kernel source package: http://vault.centos.org/7.8.2003/os/Source/SPackages/kernel-3.10.0-1127.el7.src.rpm

igc.ko

Edited by p3t3

On 7/31/2020 at 11:44 AM, Sleepy93 said:

My pc is HP Pro 3300 MT with Sandy Bridge (Intel G840 , 2.8 Ghz)

1.04b/918+ does only work from haswell (4th gen) upward

My pc is HP Pro 3300 MT

I'm trying to install DSM with 1.0.3b bootloader and It doesn't boot up just blinking the cursor. 

often HP desktops need thr mbr version of the loader

https://xpenology.com/forum/forum/98-member-tweaked-loaders/

On 7/31/2020 at 3:48 PM, p3t3 said:

Getting this on CentOS 7 (it uses 3.10 kernel), So this driver compatible on DSM?

and centos7 kernel source package: http://vault.centos.org/7.8.2003/os/Source/SPackages/kernel-3.10.0-1127.el7.src.rpm

they usually cook up there own kernel and backports and synology also mod's the kernel they use

anyway i tried to insert the module into the synology kernel and (as expected) did not work

Spoiler

CC [M]  drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.o
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c: In function ‘igc_clean_rx_ring’:
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:380:3: error: implicit declaration of function ‘dma_unmap_page_attrs’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
   dma_unmap_page_attrs(rx_ring->dev,
   ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:385:3: error: implicit declaration of function ‘__page_frag_cache_drain’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
   __page_frag_cache_drain(buffer_info->page,
   ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c: In function ‘igc_setup_mrqc’:
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:659:2: error: implicit declaration of function ‘netdev_rss_key_fill’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
  netdev_rss_key_fill(rss_key, sizeof(rss_key));
  ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c: In function ‘igc_tx_ctxtdesc’:
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:846:20: error: storage size of ‘ts’ isn’t known
  struct timespec64 ts;
                    ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:868:3: error: implicit declaration of function ‘ns_to_timespec64’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
   ts = ns_to_timespec64(first->skb->tstamp.tv64);
   ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:846:20: warning: unused variable ‘ts’ [-Wunused-variable]
  struct timespec64 ts;
                    ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c: In function ‘igc_tx_map’:
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:1099:53: error: ‘struct sk_buff’ has no member named ‘xmit_more’
  if (netif_xmit_stopped(txring_txq(tx_ring)) || !skb->xmit_more) {
                                                     ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c: In function ‘igc_rx_hash’:
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:1256:3: error: implicit declaration of function ‘skb_set_hash’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
   skb_set_hash(skb,
   ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:1258:9: error: ‘PKT_HASH_TYPE_L3’ undeclared (first use in this function)
         PKT_HASH_TYPE_L3);
         ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:1258:9: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c: In function ‘igc_construct_skb’:
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:1394:2: error: implicit declaration of function ‘napi_alloc_skb’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
  skb = napi_alloc_skb(&rx_ring->q_vector->napi, IGC_RX_HDR_LEN);
  ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:1394:6: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
  skb = napi_alloc_skb(&rx_ring->q_vector->napi, IGC_RX_HDR_LEN);
      ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:1401:3: error: implicit declaration of function ‘eth_get_headlen’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
   headlen = eth_get_headlen(va, IGC_RX_HDR_LEN);
   ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c: In function ‘igc_page_is_reserved’:
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:1455:2: error: implicit declaration of function ‘page_is_pfmemalloc’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
  return (page_to_nid(page) != numa_mem_id()) || page_is_pfmemalloc(page);
  ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c: In function ‘igc_can_reuse_rx_page’:
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:1469:2: error: implicit declaration of function ‘page_ref_count’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
  if (unlikely((page_ref_count(page) - pagecnt_bias) > 1))
  ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:1484:3: error: implicit declaration of function ‘page_ref_add’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
   page_ref_add(page, USHRT_MAX);
   ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c: In function ‘igc_cleanup_headers’:
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:1548:2: error: implicit declaration of function ‘eth_skb_pad’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
  if (eth_skb_pad(skb))
  ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c: In function ‘igc_clean_rx_irq’:
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:1674:3: error: implicit declaration of function ‘dma_rmb’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
   dma_rmb();
   ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c: In function ‘igc_alloc_mapped_page’:
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:1755:2: error: implicit declaration of function ‘dev_alloc_pages’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
  page = dev_alloc_pages(igc_rx_pg_order(rx_ring));
  ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:1755:7: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
  page = dev_alloc_pages(igc_rx_pg_order(rx_ring));
       ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:1764:2: error: implicit declaration of function ‘dma_map_page_attrs’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
  dma = dma_map_page_attrs(rx_ring->dev, page, 0,
  ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c: In function ‘igc_clean_tx_irq’:
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:1833:3: error: implicit declaration of function ‘napi_consume_skb’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
   napi_consume_skb(tx_buffer->skb, napi_budget);
   ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c: In function ‘igc_update_stats’:
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:2031:4: error: implicit declaration of function ‘u64_stats_fetch_begin_irq’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
    start = u64_stats_fetch_begin_irq(&ring->rx_syncp);
    ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:2034:3: error: implicit declaration of function ‘u64_stats_fetch_retry_irq’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
   } while (u64_stats_fetch_retry_irq(&ring->rx_syncp, start));
   ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c: In function ‘igc_down’:
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:2212:2: error: implicit declaration of function ‘netif_trans_update’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
  netif_trans_update(netdev);
  ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c: In function ‘igc_features_check’:
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:2394:9: error: ‘NETIF_F_SCTP_CRC’ undeclared (first use in this function)
         NETIF_F_SCTP_CRC |
         ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:2399:2: error: implicit declaration of function ‘skb_checksum_start’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
  network_hdr_len = skb_checksum_start(skb) - skb_network_header(skb);
  ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:2399:44: error: invalid operands to binary - (have ‘int’ and ‘unsigned char *’)
  network_hdr_len = skb_checksum_start(skb) - skb_network_header(skb);
                                            ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:2409:41: error: ‘NETIF_F_TSO_MANGLEID’ undeclared (first use in this function)
  if (skb->encapsulation && !(features & NETIF_F_TSO_MANGLEID))
                                         ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c: In function ‘igc_set_default_mac_filter’:
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:2487:2: error: implicit declaration of function ‘ether_addr_copy’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
  ether_addr_copy(mac_table->addr, adapter->hw.mac.addr);
  ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c: In function ‘igc_set_rx_mode’:
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:2755:2: error: implicit declaration of function ‘__dev_uc_sync’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
  if (__dev_uc_sync(netdev, igc_uc_sync, igc_uc_unsync))
  ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c: In function ‘igc_request_msix’:
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:2930:2: error: implicit declaration of function ‘request_irq’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
  err = request_irq(adapter->msix_entries[vector].vector,
  ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:2966:2: error: implicit declaration of function ‘free_irq’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
  free_irq(adapter->msix_entries[free_vector++].vector, adapter);
  ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c: In function ‘igc_update_phy_info’:
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:3080:9: error: implicit declaration of function ‘from_timer’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
  struct igc_adapter *adapter = from_timer(adapter, t, phy_info_timer);
         ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:3080:55: error: ‘phy_info_timer’ undeclared (first use in this function)
  struct igc_adapter *adapter = from_timer(adapter, t, phy_info_timer);
                                                       ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c: In function ‘igc_watchdog’:
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:3130:55: error: ‘watchdog_timer’ undeclared (first use in this function)
  struct igc_adapter *adapter = from_timer(adapter, t, watchdog_timer);
                                                       ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c: In function ‘igc_poll’:
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:3646:2: error: implicit declaration of function ‘napi_complete_done’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
  if (likely(napi_complete_done(napi, work_done)))
  ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c: In function ‘igc_set_interrupt_capability’:
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:3697:2: error: implicit declaration of function ‘pci_enable_msix_range’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
  err = pci_enable_msix_range(adapter->pdev,
  ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c: In function ‘igc_alloc_q_vector’:
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:3758:3: error: implicit declaration of function ‘struct_size’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
   q_vector = kzalloc(struct_size(q_vector, ring, ring_count),
   ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c: In function ‘igc_request_irq’:
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:4062:42: error: ‘IRQF_SHARED’ undeclared (first use in this function)
  err = request_irq(pdev->irq, &igc_intr, IRQF_SHARED,
                                          ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c: At top level:
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:4217:2: error: unknown field ‘ndo_size’ specified in initializer
  .ndo_size  = sizeof(struct net_device_ops),
  ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:4217:15: warning: initialization makes pointer from integer without a cast
  .ndo_size  = sizeof(struct net_device_ops),
               ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:4217:15: warning: (near initialization for ‘igc_netdev_ops.ndo_init’)
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:4223:2: error: unknown field ‘extended’ specified in initializer
  .extended.ndo_change_mtu = igc_change_mtu,
  ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:4223:29: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
  .extended.ndo_change_mtu = igc_change_mtu,
                             ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:4223:29: warning: (near initialization for ‘igc_netdev_ops.ndo_validate_addr’)
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:4227:2: error: unknown field ‘ndo_features_check’ specified in initializer
  .ndo_features_check = igc_features_check,
  ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:4227:24: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
  .ndo_features_check = igc_features_check,
                        ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:4227:24: warning: (near initialization for ‘igc_netdev_ops.ndo_neigh_construct’)
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c: In function ‘igc_probe’:
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:4364:2: error: implicit declaration of function ‘mark_tech_preview’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
  mark_tech_preview(DRV_SUMMARY, THIS_MODULE);
  ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:4454:22: error: ‘NETIF_F_SCTP_CRC’ undeclared (first use in this function)
  netdev->features |= NETIF_F_SCTP_CRC;
                      ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:4466:8: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘extended’
  netdev->extended->min_mtu = ETH_MIN_MTU;
        ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:4466:30: error: ‘ETH_MIN_MTU’ undeclared (first use in this function)
  netdev->extended->min_mtu = ETH_MIN_MTU;
                              ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:4467:8: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘extended’
  netdev->extended->max_mtu = MAX_STD_JUMBO_FRAME_SIZE;
        ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:4483:2: error: implicit declaration of function ‘eth_platform_get_mac_address’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
  if (eth_platform_get_mac_address(&pdev->dev, hw->mac.addr)) {
  ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:4501:2: error: implicit declaration of function ‘timer_setup’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
  timer_setup(&adapter->watchdog_timer, igc_watchdog, 0);
  ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:4535:2: error: implicit declaration of function ‘pcie_print_link_status’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
  pcie_print_link_status(pdev);
  ^
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c: In function ‘igc_remove’:
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.c:4589:2: error: implicit declaration of function ‘pci_release_mem_regions’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
  pci_release_mem_regions(pdev);
  ^
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
scripts/Makefile.build:308: recipe for target 'drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.o' failed
make[5]: *** [drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_main.o] Error 1
scripts/Makefile.build:455: recipe for target 'drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc' failed
make[4]: *** [drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc] Error 2
scripts/Makefile.build:455: recipe for target 'drivers/net/ethernet/intel' failed
make[3]: *** [drivers/net/ethernet/intel] Error 2
scripts/Makefile.build:455: recipe for target 'drivers/net/ethernet' failed
make[2]: *** [drivers/net/ethernet] Error 2
scripts/Makefile.build:455: recipe for target 'drivers/net' failed
make[1]: *** [drivers/net] Error 2
Makefile:800: recipe for target 'drivers' failed
make: *** [drivers] Error 2

On 7/31/2020 at 3:48 PM, p3t3 said:

igc.ko 151.39 kB · 0 downloads

*.ko is not going o work, using just a (binary) driver from somewhere might work with windows but its not going to work with linux, you would need to compile the driver with your own (synologys) kernel - and the result is above

maybe intel will publish a propper driver later where they usually have the source like here

https://sourceforge.net/projects/e1000/files/

Edited by IG-88

On 7/31/2020 at 5:36 PM, IG-88 said:

1.04b/918+ does only work from haswell (4th gen) upward

often HP desktops need thr mbr version of the loader

https://xpenology.com/forum/forum/98-member-tweaked-loaders/

they usually cook up there own kernel and backports and synology also mod's the kernel they use

anyway i tried to insert the module into the synology kernel and (as expected) did not work

Thank you so much :)

It's working cool.

Used the loader 1.03b tweaked mbr version :)

It is worked correctly but only 6.2.2 version installed successfully.

Clean Install:  SUCCESFULL

Loader: 1.03b / DS3617xs

Host: ESXi 6.7

DSM: 6.2.3-25426 Update 2

Runs out of the Box.

Followed this: 

Notes:

• synoboot.vmdk as SATA 0:0 --> Set as Boot device in VM Bios
  • other drives as SCSI 0:0, SCSI 0:1, SCSI 0:3,... as RDM on LSI Logic SAS
  • Adaptec 8805 Raid Controller no passthrough, decided RDM is better for later Updats
  • extra.lzma not replaced
  • S.M.A.R.T working

FixSynoBoot.sh from here:

Edited by etests

On 10/6/2019 at 12:07 PM, IG-88 said:

Case 2: fresh install with 6.2.2 or "migration" (aka upgrade) from 6.0/6.1
Pretty much the normal way as described in the tutorial for installing 6.x (juns loader, osfmount, Win32DiskImager) but in addition to copy the extra.lzma to the 2nd partition of the usb flash drive you need to copy the new kernel of dsm 6.2.2 too so that kernel (booted from usb) and extra.lzma "match"
You can extract the 2 files (zImage and rd.gz) from the DSM *.pat file you download from synology
https://archive.synology.com/download/DSM/release/6.2.2/24922/DSM_DS3615xs_24922.pat

Fresh install of 6.2.2 based on the above not a problem but I tried all possible files combination in the second partition of the synoboot.img (Juns 1.0.3b) for 6.2.3 and no result the DSM not visible on the network. What is wrong with this situation, where do I need to dig? Pushing around 24 hours with 4 hours of sleep what is going on? I feel stupid...  CpU is too old? I got Intel Q6600 but 6.2.2 working fine. 

ASUS motherboard with Intel Q6600, Chipset Intel® P35, Intel ICH9R, Dual LAN Marvell 88E8056 and Realtek RTL8110SC

Edited by alexsahka