XPEnology Community

Driver extension jun 1.03b/1.04b for DSM6.2.2 for 3615xs / 3617xs / 918+

IG-88

16 hours ago, mysy said:

I try the 0.5 extra with ds3617 loader,  system could find the HDD through LSI 9400 HBA card,  but other problem is only find 6 of 8 HDD.

thats a pretty common problem, the max disk count for 3615/17 is 12, when having 6 sata and 8 by sas it will be 14 and the last two will not appear

with some tweaking of config files it can be extended but you will loose that change with bigger dsm updates like 6.2.2 -> 6.2.3 and you end up without redundancy disks or worth

the way to go is the patch in the loader, jun the dsm default of 12 for 3515/17 but as 918+ gad only 4 he inclided a "extension" in his patch (atm 16) and it also made it easy to extend further by just changing some numbers in the patch (it not possible that way for 3615/17 as there are no parts in the patch about disk number)

i still plan to do it , i already had to alter the patch slightly to delete the i915 drivers so i guess i might play a little with the patch next weekend (if nothing more interesting comes up)

9 hours ago, mk13139 said:

If I understand you correctly, you are planning to compile new extra.lzma/extra2 for 6.2.3, as the current v0.5 is only compatible with 6.2.2?

the drivers for 6.2.2 will not work for 6.2.3 but you can (again) use the default drivers from jun that comes with loader 1.03b

i already did something for 6.2.3 918+ as it was not possible to get hardware transcoding with juns default drivers and 6.2.3 but for 3615/17 there is not such a big need for a new driver package as juns driver will work with 6.2.3, there might be some special cases of 10G network or newer intel onboard nic's that will not work with jun drivers (because i added some drivers and updates some), i will do the same for 3615/17 as i did for 819+ last weekend, maybe in a few days

9 hours ago, mk13139 said:

Just to make sure, before I put on 6.2.2 with v0.5 driver extension.. 

you did not write about your hardware (storage controller and nics)

just try 6.2.3 with jun's default extra.lzma, in most cases it will do the job

29 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

the drivers for 6.2.2 will not work for 6.2.3 but you can (again) use the default drivers from jun that comes with loader 1.03b

i already did something for 6.2.3 918+ as it was not possible to get hardware transcoding with juns default drivers and 6.2.3 but for 3615/17 there is not such a big need for a new driver package as juns driver will work with 6.2.3, there might be some special cases of 10G network or newer intel onboard nic's that will not work with jun drivers (because i added some drivers and updates some), i will do the same for 3615/17 as i did for 819+ last weekend, maybe in a few days

you did not write about your hardware (storage controller and nics)

just try 6.2.3 with jun's default extra.lzma, in most cases it will do the job

Sorry, forgot about that.

I have a HP Microserver N40L with the onboard BCM5723 NIC which I would like to run on 6.2.3 DS3615 (currently on 6.2.2 DS3615 with your v0.5 extra.lzma), and a new project which has an Asus E2KM1I-DELUXE motherboard (AMD FCH A50M Hudson M1 chipset and onboard Realtek 8111F NIC) which I would also like to run on 6.2.3 DS3615.

Edited by mk13139
Added DMS platform

33 minutes ago, mk13139 said:

I have a HP Microserver N40L with the onboard BCM5723 NIC which I would like to run on 6.2.3 DS3615 (currently on 6.2.2 DS3615 with your v0.5 extra.lzma), and a new project which has an Asus E2KM1I-DELUXE motherboard (AMD FCH A50M Hudson M1 chipset and onboard Realtek 8111F NIC) which I would also like to run on 6.2.3 DS3615.

should both work with juns 1.03b extra.lzma

when updating from 6.2.2 and replacing the 6.2.2 extra.lzma with the one from the original loader and having reboot/shutdown problems then just empty /usr/lib/module/update/ and reboot

the "older" extra.lzma will not overwrite (6.2.2) drivers that where added later (by my extra.lzma) so in same cases they might be loaded an crash on boot

35 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

when updating from 6.2.2 and replacing the 6.2.2 extra.lzma with the one from the original loader and having reboot/shutdown problems then just empty /usr/lib/module/update/ and reboot

the "older" extra.lzma will not overwrite (6.2.2) drivers that where added later (by my extra.lzma) so in same cases they might be loaded an crash on boot

Not sure to understand. How to achieve Realtek 8111F NIC drivers then? Not on Jun extra 1.03b.

On 4/18/2020 at 6:06 PM, djvas335 said:

Actually I got the ideia to try this from a post by alexku44, when he confirmed that older driver works in his setup, so credit for discovering this goes to him.

I confirm upgrade success dsm3615xs to 6.2.3 on Microserver GEN 7, GEN8 and GEN10, this is only hardware I have running DSM

I can also can confirm that djvas335 is right! I have installed 6.2.3 using June's loader version 1.03b unmodified (original extra.lzma, rd.gz and zimage) and installing DSM_DS3615xs_25423.pat. That is on a very old hardware using Asus P5Q motherboard. Everything seems to be working fine. I will report later if I encounter any issues.

djvas335, thank you so much for mentioning this!

On 4/19/2020 at 9:41 AM, djvas335 said:

Use 1.03b loader and upgrade directly to DSM 6.2.3, do not use extra.lzma, it's no longer compatible with newer DSM, they reverted their driver support to old version of drivers, so old drivers from original loader work.

I am wondering what made them decide to revert back to older driver support. Just asking, not complaining 😀. I pray we will be so lucky with DSM 7.0 - I know, it's a very long shot but still...

Edited by Decebalus

Since I have installed from scratch 6.2.3 using June's loader 1.03b for 3615xs on one of my old machines, I was wondering what would be the best approach to upgrade to 6.2.3 for those of us who have custom extra.lzma. Would it make sense to boot up with the current USB stick containing custom extra.lzma and after booting up, taking out the stick, reimage it with original June's 1.03b loader (and modifying grub.cfg accordingly, of course), plugging it back in the USB port, install manually 6.2.3 from Control Panel and reboot?

Sorry, it may be a stupid question but I have never went through a similar process before.

Any suggestions are definitely appreciated and I hope this will help others in similar situation.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Decebalus

I just mount it inside DSM, replace extra.lzma with old one and upgrade.

7 hours ago, Decebalus said:

Since I have installed from scratch 6.2.3 using June's loader 1.03b for 3615xs on one of my old machines, I was wondering what would be the best approach to upgrade to 6.2.3 for those of us who have custom extra.lzma. Would it make sense to boot up with the current USB stick containing custom extra.lzma and after booting up, taking out the stick, reimage it with original June's 1.03b loader (and modifying grub.cfg accordingly, of course), plugging it back in the USB port, install manually 6.2.3 from Control Panel and reboot?

Sorry, it may be a stupid question but I have never went through a similar process before.

Any suggestions are definitely appreciated and I hope this will help others in similar situation.

Thanks in advance!

11 hours ago, IG-88 said:

8 hours ago, Decebalus said:

I can also can confirm that djvas335 is right! I have installed 6.2.3 using June's loader version 1.03b unmodified (original extra.lzma, rd.gz and zimage) and installing DSM_DS3615xs_25423.pat. That is on a very old hardware using Asus P5Q motherboard. Everything seems to be working fine. I will report later if I encounter any issues.

28 minutes ago, djvas335 said:

I just mount it inside DSM, replace extra.lzma with old one and upgrade.

Thanks guys, I will try 6.2.3 with unmodified Jun's v1.03b loader this weekend (both clean installs).

17 hours ago, IG-88 said:

2 hours ago, Eduardo said:

Silly me! You are right. Now I remember it was working time before. 😳

So, is it included in Jun's v1.03b loader? Or do I have to install r8168.ko somehow?

1) Enable SSH and ssh into your DiskStation

2) Become root ( sudo -i )

3) Make a mount point ( mkdir -p /tmp/mountMe )

4) cd into /dev ( cd /dev )

5) mount synoboot2 to your mount point ( mount -t vfat synoboot2 /tmp/mountMe )

6) Profit!

1 hour ago, Decebalus said:

That's perfect. Is there a link or a thread that contains those details? What commands to use in terminal? Any help is definitely appreciated.

32 minutes ago, djvas335 said:

6) Profit!

You rock! Thanks a million, sir!

18 hours ago, Decebalus said:

Quick update: I have been running 6.2.3 non-stop since yesterday and, so far, it has been rock solid. In fact, with 6.2.2 and the custom extra.lzma used previously, one of the HDDs connected to one of the two extra Marvell SATA ports was dropping from the pool randomly. Not happening any longer with 6.2.3 and June's 1.03b unmodified loader.

8 hours ago, mk13139 said:

So, is it included in Jun's v1.03b loader? Or do I have to install r8168.ko somehow?

its part of juns laoder and you could chek if you want by opening the extra.lzma with 7zip

in the "older" thread is also a list of hardware and kernel modules

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/12859-driver-extension-jun-103a2dsm62x-for-ds918/

On 7/8/2018 at 6:32 PM, IG-88 said:

Realtek
(r8101: 10/100 Realtek PCIe FE Family RTL8100E/RTL8101E/RTL8102E-GR/RTL8103E(L)/RTL8102E(L)/RTL8101E/RTL8103T/RTL8401/RTL8401P/RTL8105E/RTL8402/RTL8106E/RTL8106EUS/RTL8107E)
r8152: RTL8152/RTL8153 Based USB 2.0/3.0 Ethernet Adapter (source: 0008-r8152.53-2.09.0.tar.bz2)
r8168: Realtek Gigabit Ethernet PCIe
RTL8111B/RTL8168B/RTL8111/RTL8168/RTL8111C/RTL8111CP/RTL8111D(L)/RTL8168C/RTL8111DP/RTL8111E/RTL8168E/RTL8111F/RTL8411/RTL8111G/RTL8111GUS/RTL8411B(N)/RTL8118AS/RTL8111H(S)/RTL8118/RTL8119i (source: 0010-r8168-8.045.08.tar.bz2)
r8169: Realtek Gigabit Ethernet PCI RTL8110SC(L) (RTL8110S/RTL8110SB(L)/RTL8169SB(L)/RTL8169S(L)/RTL8169) (source: 0008-r8169-6.025.03.tar.bz2)
rtl8150: USB RTL8150 based USB Ethernet Adapter

5 hours ago, Decebalus said:

, one of the HDDs connected to one of the two extra Marvell SATA ports was dropping from the pool randomly. Not happening any longer with 6.2.3 and June's 1.03b unmodified loader.

ahci is part or the kernel synology delivers for each dsm version, so it seem likely that its not related to drivers/kernel modules loaded

Hello all,

i am on hp n54l microserver gen7 and have no additional nic.

I am on dsm 6.2-23739 update 2 and now i read its possible to update out of the box with old 6.2 drivers to new dsm 6.2.3???

For this old version (6.2), i don´t use additional lzma - just junes DS3615xs out of the box.

For 6.2.2 i remembered must need an additinoal nic or custom lzma - but now just update in control panel, reboot and all fine and finished?

Greetings
messenger

Edited by Messenger

3 hours ago, Messenger said:

I am on dsm 6.2-23739 update 2 and now i read its possible to update out of the box with old 6.2 drivers to new dsm 6.2.3???

For this old version (6.2), i don´t use additional lzma - just junes DS3615xs out of the box.

yes, synology reverted the change made in 6.2.2 so old drivers work again

3 hours ago, Messenger said:

For 6.2.2 i remembered must need an additinoal nic or custom lzma - but now just update in control panel, reboot and all fine and finished?

yes, it should work this way

22 hours ago, djvas335 said:

6) Profit!

I am sure I am doing something wrong. I have mounted the USB stick and replaced the extra.lzma file, however, when I am trying to load the 6.2.3 pat file from control panel, I am getting an unknown error. Now, 2 things I think it is worth mentioning:

1. 6.2.3 does not show up under Update/Restore in control panel - hence trying to install it manually. Is it expected for 6.2.3 not to show up as an available update?

2. I have not replaced zImage and rd.gz files on the stick with the ones from June's loader. Those files are from 6.2.2. Do those need to be replaced as well?

Thanks in advance.

1. Yes

2. Maybe corrupt image ? No need to replace anything except extra.lzma

2 minutes ago, Decebalus said:

I am sure I am doing something wrong. I have mounted the USB stick and replaced the extra.lzma file, however, when I am trying to load the 6.2.3 pat file from control panel, I am getting an unknown error. Now, 2 things I think it is worth mentioning:

1. 6.2.3 does not show up under Update/Restore in control panel - hence trying to install it manually. Is it expected for 6.2.3 not to show up as an available update?

2. I have not replaced zImage and rd.gz files on the stick with the ones from June's loader. Those files are from 6.2.2. Do those need to be replaced as well?

Thanks in advance.