XPEnology Community

Driver extension jun 1.03b/1.04b for DSM6.2.2 for 3615xs / 3617xs / 918+

IG-88

16 minutes ago, real3x said:

20 sec later : confirmed, KP again, dsm stock have a r8168.ko driver ?

only 918+ does have r8168.ko

its back to native drivers story for people wanting to update to 6.2.3

also there will be shutdown problems when a driver crashes on boot - like extra.lzma loads r8168.ko crashes and DSM then loads its own driver, resulting in a working network but system will have shutdown problems (does not switch off)

5 hours ago, IG-88 said:

just a quick warning for 6.2.3 attempts, all additional drivers from 6.2.2 will fail (crash)  to load so if you update only "native" drivers from DSM will work

the mentioned i915 firmwares can be loaded as expected to get all non apollolake/geminilake cpu's to work (tested with a 8th gen cpu, got /dev/dri devices)

looks like there is a reason why its a complete new version 6.2.3

What does that mean? I'm using your driver package (with DS918+-1.04b Bootloader) and latest 6.2.2 (u6). If I want to update to 6.2.3 I've to use the untouched Bootloader (1.04b) or to wait for a new driver package update?

5 hours ago, Huberer said:

What does that mean? I'm using your driver package (with DS918+-1.04b Bootloader) and latest 6.2.2 (u6). If I want to update to 6.2.3 I've to use the untouched Bootloader (1.04b) or to wait for a new driver package update?

That's exactly what it means i think

For me beside the let's encrypt wildcard i see no need to update to 6.2.3 anyway. But if new drivers are released for 1.03b 3615xs (running hp n54l here) and people confirm it's working well I might reconsider

• Like 1

3 hours ago, yongbi said:

That's exactly what it means i think

not exactly, the untouched loader contains jun's drivers (made for 6.2.0), they will not work too

people just need to wait if someone finds out why the drivers fail, for now my working hypothesis is a kernel source change after 24992 that produced this incompatibility

and as  we dont have the new source we cant compile new drivers to test

10 минут назад, IG-88 сказал:

not exactly, the untouched loader contains jun's drivers (made for 6.2.0), they will not work too

people just need to wait if someone finds out why the drivers fail, for now my working hypothesis is a kernel source change after 24992 that produced this incompatibility

and as  we dont have the new source we cant compile new drivers to test

Just to back up, is it correct that for now it doesn't make any sense to try with the topic extras (driver extensions) as they won't work for DSM 6.2.3 anyway? For my case, abcense of HW acceleration is the only issue, the rest work just fine

Edited by lotusd

10 minutes ago, lotusd said:

abcense of HW acceleration is the only issue, the rest work just fine

and that can be fixed easily as mentioned above, i plan to release new extra/extra2 that will invalidate the old drivers and will add the new i915 firmware files so that people with just needing native drivers and hardware acceleration will be fine (without shutdown or reboot problems)

• Like 3

6 минут назад, IG-88 сказал:

and that can be fixed easily as mentioned above, i plan to release new extra/extra2 that will invalidate the old drivers and will add the new i915 firmware files so that people with just needing native drivers and hardware acceleration will be fine (without shutdown or reboot problems)

Great, thank you in advance)

2 часа назад, IG-88 сказал:

Hello @IG-88 , I encountered a problem with the drivers. starting with v0.5. my system on the GA-j1800 does not load the network. This is probably due to the update of drivers. I have a working extra.lzma / extra2.lzma. Can I somehow copy the old driver r8168.ko from mine to your lzma v.08? thanks.

рабочий zlma j1900-j1800.zip

update DSM 6.2.2-24922  to   DSM 6.2.3-25423

ash-4.3# dmesg |grep eth
[    3.641313] usbcore: registered new interface driver ethub
[   16.588641] jme: JMicron JMC2XX ethernet driver version 1.0.8
[   19.376018] eth0: 0xffffc9000122a000, IRQ 89
[   19.454716] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
[   22.480202] r8168: eth0: link up
[   22.480249] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready
[   23.987526] init: dhcp-client (eth0) main process (7813) killed by TERM signal

Edited by alexku44

5 hours ago, alexku44 said:

[   22.480202] r8168: eth0: link up

please post a more complete log where the version number of the used r8168.ko, i'm sure the driver from 0.5 cant word and there will be the version number from the 6.2.3 build in driver

5 hours ago, alexku44 said:

I have a working extra.lzma / extra2.lzma. Can I somehow copy the old driver r8168.ko from mine to your lzma v.08? thanks.

not sure what you did and why you think a much older driver should work

te descrition how to unpack and repack the extra.lzma is in this

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7187-how-to-build-and-inject-missing-drivers-in-jun-loader-102a/

you dont have to use a chroot for this, just a normal live linux would be enough

IG-88, I just wanted to say that you are GOD when it comes to trying to keep compatibility with older hardware and I cannot express enough my gratitude and appreciation for all the work you have been doing and the time invested in this! I am sure I am not the only one appreciating all your work, time and dedication. Hats off in front of you and thanks a million, my friend! YOU ROCK!

Edited by Decebalus
  • Like 4

5 часов назад, IG-88 сказал:

please post a more complete log where the version number of the used r8168.ko, i'm sure the driver from 0.5 cant word and there will be the version number from the 6.2.3 build in driver

dmesg | grep -i ethernet
[   15.876852] Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Network Driver - version 5.3.5.3
[   15.900316] r8168 Gigabit Ethernet driver 8.045.08-NAPI loaded
[   16.299135] jme: JMicron JMC2XX ethernet driver version 1.0.8
[   16.333018] QLogic 1/10 GbE Converged/Intelligent Ethernet Driver v5.3.63

if not correct, write the command to run

5 часов назад, IG-88 сказал:

not sure what you did and why you think a much older driver should work

te descrition how to unpack and repack the extra.lzma is in this

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7187-how-to-build-and-inject-missing-drivers-in-jun-loader-102a/

you dont have to use a chroot for this, just a normal live linux would be enough

I immediately apologize, because I am writing through a translator. My network card is not loaded with any of your driver packages above v.0.5. I don’t remember where I found the attached lzma, only the network works with it and hw on 6.2.2. The standard ones from the bootloader do not find the network on 6.2.2.

v0.5 

ash-4.3# dmesg | grep -i ethernet
[   19.953975] Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Network Driver - version 5.3.5.3
[   19.973762] i40e: Intel(R) 40-10 Gigabit Ethernet Connection Network Driver - version 2.3.6
[   19.987354] r8168 Gigabit Ethernet driver 8.044.02-NAPI loaded
[   20.100395] bnx2x: QLogic 5771x/578xx 10/20-Gigabit Ethernet Driver bnx2x 1.712.30-0 (2014/02/10)
[   20.508112] jme: JMicron JMC2XX ethernet driver version 1.0.8
[   20.566289] QLogic 1/10 GbE Converged/Intelligent Ethernet Driver v5.3.63
[   21.258045] Atheros(R) L2 Ethernet Driver - version 2.2.3
[   21.274648] bna: QLogic BR-series 10G Ethernet driver - version: 3.2.25.1
[   21.371536] enic: Cisco VIC Ethernet NIC Driver, ver 2.3.0.20
[   21.395621] usbcore: registered new interface driver MOSCHIP usb-ethernet driver
[   21.431847] pegasus: v0.9.3 (2013/04/25), Pegasus/Pegasus II USB Ethernet driver

Edited by alexku44

2 hours ago, alexku44 said:

it turned out to replace the driver + work HW 6.2.3

i'm asolute sure about what you did

you emptied your updated drivers and firmware on the already installed system (6.2.2->6.2.3 updated)

you removed the drivers from the extra.lzma? repacked it and put it on you loader?

and added the new firmware files to your (already installed) system and it works for you

that would be in the direction what i had in mind but with a more universal touch as it would be interesting to not have to manually clean the driver and firmware (0 byte long files overwriting the files there will do the trick) - but we might not need all this

in doing your experiments and questions you also did something else and that was what my question about the driver version was about - you used a 0.5 extra.lzma of mine, that version that worked before 6.2.2 (the kernel config change about "CONFIG_PCIEASPM") and would not have worked with 6.2.2 but it worked with 6.2.3

that implies there is no big change in kernel source 25423 that prevents us from making new drivers, it might be just that synology reverted the change of the kernel config made in 6.2.2 (maybe because they found a better solution like a newer driver)

as a quick check i took the original 1.04b loader (jun's extra.lzma made for 6.2.0) added the new kernel (not needed) and it booted up (using the new kernel) and installed dsm 6.2.3

the only mismatch now are jun's newer backported i915 drivers, but with synololgys new own backported driver we dont need it anymore

it now seems simple to build a new extra/extra2 for 6.2.3 that will have all drivers working as before, i will just remove i915 drivers, add the new firmware (there is one file different from what jun's i915 driver used) adn recompile drivers the old (pre 6.2.2) way - if there are no new obstacles that can be done by tomorrow

Edited by IG-88
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, sunyu said:

感谢你的付出

反馈一个问题 J1800  v0.8-sync 使用硬件转码会导致重启

if everyone writes in her/his own language it gets messy, please write in english

if you can't or feel uncomfortable doing so there are areas where native language can be used like https://xpenology.com/forum/forum/10-chinese/

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

if everyone writes in her/his own language it gets messy, please write in english

if you can't or feel uncomfortable doing so there are areas where native language can be used like https://xpenology.com/forum/forum/10-chinese/

Sorry, I used chrome's translator, which automatically translates what I see into Chinese. I just want to express my gratitude and feedback.

3 часа назад, IG-88 сказал:

you emptied your updated drivers and firmware on the already installed system (6.2.2->6.2.3 updated)

you removed the drivers from the extra.lzma? repacked it and put it on you loader?

I installed 6.2.3 with the Jun's Loader v1.04b DS918 + clean bootloader. Then I tried to start with your lzma v.0.8. but ran into a problem, the network interface does not start. Then I took your lzma and repacked it with the replacement of r8168.ko from a known worker on my system. without compilation. registered new firmware in rc.modules. when running

rm -rf /usr/lib/modules/update/*
rm -rf /usr/lib/firmware/i915/*

dev/dri did not appear. I killed the system and installed 6.2.3.

Interesting, I just recovered my 6.2.3 test system by just recreating the USB with jun 1.03 loader without any extra.lzma and it booted right up

Hardware is microserver gen7 dsm 3615xs

In synology assistant just execute recover system

Running on internal networking, no intel card needed

Edited by djvas335

1 hour ago, darkknigt said:

Has anyone managed to recover the installation? I am using an Asrock J4105 and it does not work

just be patient until romorrow, i'm working on it

i could send you a link for a test i did that will work for systems using realtek nic and ahci for storage (like most mITX boards with apollo or gemini lake)

1 hour ago, djvas335 said:

Interesting, I just recovered my 6.2.3 test system by just recreating the USB with jun 1.03 loader without any extra.lzma and it booted right up

Hardware is microserver gen7 dsm 3615xs

i guess that can be misleading, for hp microserver you will need broadcom driver (onboard) and "no extra.lzma" can mean you used jun's default extra.lzma (part of the loader) or you deleted the extra.lzma completely from the loader

the driver inside jun's default extra.lzma might work with 6.2.3 in some (lot's) cases but its not that universal to copy back jun's extra.lzma, depending on the hardware it might end in success but can also fail

there will be cases where storage is not working or where network does not work (i've seen problems here with a igb.ko based network adapter, e1000e and realtek did work)

• Like 1

I confirm upgrade to 6.2.3 using original jun's extra lzma on Microserver gen7 Microserver gen8 and Microserver gen10

I see I was not clear in my last post, no extra.lzma I mean I used original extra.lzma from jun's bootloader

2 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

just be patient until romorrow, i'm working on it

i could send you a link for a test i did that will work for systems using realtek nic and ahci for storage (like most mITX boards with apollo or gemini lake)

i guess that can be misleading, for hp microserver you will need broadcom driver (onboard) and "no extra.lzma" can mean you used jun's default extra.lzma (part of the loader) or you deleted the extra.lzma completely from the loader

the driver inside jun's default extra.lzma might work with 6.2.3 in some (lot's) cases but its not that universal to copy back jun's extra.lzma, depending on the hardware it might end in success but can also fail

there will be cases where storage is not working or where network does not work (i've seen problems here with a igb.ko based network adapter, e1000e and realtek did work)

Edited by djvas335
  • Like 1

Just now, djvas335 said:

I can upgrade to 6.2.3 using oringinal jun's extra lzma on Microserver gen7 Microserver gen8 and Microserver gen10

yes i don't doubt that but it will not work for everyone (every hardware) and on 918+ there are three types of extra/extra2.lzma and depending on what type used it will it will "influence" the result (3615/17 does not have i915 hardware transcoding and does not rely on i915 firmware)

i guess it wont make things worse to try jun's original files - but don't blame me or djvas335 if it does not ;-) and i guess it will be back to what you had before when using the extra/extra2 you used before you tried jun's originals (also no guarantees - as usual)

one thing is sure, your data are still there, you just cant use them because you might have lost network access or the storage does not work to get all disks into the raid

one "safe" solution might be to boot up open media vault from a external (additional) source/disk, that will give you network access to your raid (data) volume - if you need files from there - thats my personal plan "f" if i loose access when dsm does not boot (if your raid is damaged then you are beyond "f")