XPEnology Community

Driver extension jun 1.03b/1.04b for DSM6.2.2 for 3615xs / 3617xs / 918+

IG-88

3 minutes ago, XerSonik said:

Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-H8IR how to use?

with it firmware it should work with all tree images as its "only" 6GBit SAS, lsi 2108 chip, nothing special, when using the latest extra.lzma's and 6.2.2

if there are problem check if it has IT firmare, IR firmware is not working the way we need it and list the vendor/device id with lspic

should be inside this range

https://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/1000

• Thanks 1

Just now, XerSonik said:

What to register in grub.cfg for support and proper operation of this SAS controller?

usually nothing special needed

SataPortMap or anything there would only be used in case of problems

the only thing important is that the controller has to use IT mode so disks can be seen as individual single devices

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, XerSonik said:

How to understand that the controller uses IT mode?

initiator target mode, its a firmware that hast to be flashed when the controller has IR (R for RAID) firmware in this firmware is no raid support, IR/IT is shown when in controller bios

https://nguvu.org/freenas/Convert-LSI-HBA-card-to-IT-mode/

you can goolge "lsi sas it mode"

• Thanks 1

Il y a 22 heures, IG-88 a dit :

with it firmware it should work with all tree images as its "only" 6GBit SAS, lsi 2108 chip, nothing special, when using the latest extra.lzma's and 6.2.2

if there are problem check if it has IT firmare, IR firmware is not working the way we need it and list the vendor/device id with lspic

should be inside this range

https://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/1000

Hello,

It would be really great to upload a synoboot.img DS3617xs with:
- the new drivers
- 24 HHD discs
- with a Synology Hybrid Raid SHR RAID

Many people use DS918 + because it is the only easy-to-modify Synobbot to get 24 HHD discs.

11 hours ago, JeanJean67 said:

It would be really great to upload a synoboot.img DS3617xs with:
- the new drivers

what new drives, the 3617 has the same driver level as 918+ extension, maybe minor differences as of different kernel (3.10.105 vs. 4.4.59)

- 24 HHD discs
- with a Synology Hybrid Raid SHR RAID

can both be done after installing, the SHR in in the faq, for more disks there are guides and youtube videos, no urgent need from my point of view

the >12 disks thing will be a pain when installing big updates where the system partition is replaced

Many people use DS918 + because it is the only easy-to-modify Synobbot to get 24 HHD discs.

918+ is a good choice, has newer kernel, nvme support, the 3617 is just the better choice when it comes to cpu cores support (8 vs 16) and 3615/17 has raidf1 for all ssd raid arrays, both are not that usual for home power efficient home nas

if not done right a wrong patch in the extra.lzma will  screw up a lot of systems and only a smaller minority need >12 disks

its still in the back of my mind to do it but as long as my own new hardware waits to be assembled here and the newly available 24922 source is not used for new drivers, i'm doing anything with the patch, is no rocket science and completely independent from the drivers, so if anyone else does it with diff and provides a new patch i could incorporate it into a test version dedicated for desperate people to try out

HI IG-88,

I got a problem with GA-J1900N-D3V motherboard...
Which can success boot to the happy hacking screen, but it can't be found in "find.synology.com"......

I use Intel PCI Lan card instead (8391GT PRO/1000 Lan card with 82541PI controller) but same problem......

If you need futher information or detail spec I can reply it, thank you.

17 hours ago, eszerfrm said:

If you need futher information

more likely another problem then nic

what loader and type (there are three)

if 1.04b/918+ what extra/extra2 type did you use (there are three, syno, std, recovery)

did you also copy the new zImage and rd.gz to the loader?

Hello,

I have a Problem with my following Build:

Mainboard: Asrock J3455 ITX Motherboard
RAM: 4 GB RAM - 1 Slot used
HDD: 10 TB WD White (from an External WD Case)
Onboard NIC: Disabled in BIOS (not showing up in DSM 6.2.2).
Current NIC: USB 3.0 to Ethernet
NIC Chip: ASIX AX 88179

Link to NIC: Amazon USB 3.0 Adapter - UGREEN

DSM Version: DSM 6.2.2-24922 Update 5

Loader: 1.04b - DS918 with "Driver extension jun 1.03b/1.04b for DSM6.2.2 for 3615xs / 3617xs / 918+"

To my problem:
Everything is working great! Except one thing. Suddenly my NAS is losing Internet Connection. 
I can not access the NAS anymore. Also it completely disappers on the network. I checked that in my router (Speedport Hybrid).

I have no other possibility than shut down the power and restart the NAS. That is not nice for the HDD.

I have uploaded 2 Screenshots from the Protokoll Center. I hope you have an idea what the problem is.

Should i Use another Driver extension or another External NIC (Pcie? or USB?)

Fehler 2.png

Fehler 3.png

What version of the J3455 board do you have? With my J3455B-ITX, 1.04b does not work well, machine is super slow, network file transfers are below 50MB/s and USB3 port speed is also terrible (20MB/sec). For that board, running 1.03 with the extra.lzma (to get the network working) is much better - super smooth and fast.

8 hours ago, IG-88 said:

more likely another problem then nic

what loader and type (there are three)

if 1.04b/918+ what extra/extra2 type did you use (there are three, syno, std, recovery)

did you also copy the new zImage and rd.gz to the loader?

I use 1.04b/918+ with both extra/extra2 type   and syno, std, recovery fail....
also 3617 one but i forget detail, that one tried too many loader, all fail.... 
And yet, I've tried copy new zImage and rd.gz to loader

By the way, onboard Lan is Realtek 8111F-VL, it got 2 Lan port from pcie laneimage.thumb.png.5985e8e8fa54f28250539c92be5d4022.png

Edited by eszerfrm
ADD INFO

Hope this helps. If I mention a tool that you don't have l, just Google it and download it. 

We will be using DS3617xs as it offers a bit more IMO. If you want to use a different model just substitute the extra drivers file, the serial number generator, DSM and loader files. 

1. Download the loader https://mega.nz/#!zcogjaDT!qIEazI49daggE2odvSwazn3VqBc\_wv0zAvab6m6kHbA

2. Download the extra drivers http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file\_id=06641076704622277403

3. Download DSM https://archive.synology.com/download/DSM/release/6.2.2/24922/DSM\_DS3617xs\_24922.pat

4. Use a new flash drive or clear a flash drive using diskpart in CMD. I recommend a USB 2.0. and go into the device properties to get the vid and pid records.

5. Mount the loader you downloaded in step one on OSFMount. Select partitions 0 and 1 in step 2 by pressing ctrl button while clicking. Make sure read only drive is unchecked in the next step. 2 drives will pop up.

6. Get a serial for your deployment from here https://xpenogen.github.io/serial\_generator/index.html

Make sure you choose the model DS3617xs

7. Edit the grub/grub.cfg file. It is located in the first drive.

Changing the following

`set vid=0x!!!!`

`set pid=0x!!!!`

`set sn=@@@@@@@@@@@@@`

`set mac1=$$$$$$$$$$$$`

`set mac2=$$$$$$$$$$$$`

`set mac3=$$$$$$$$$$$$`

`set mac4=$$$$$$$$$$$$`

!!!! are vid and pid. a set of 4 numbers.

@ is the serial you generated in step 6.

$ is your network nics addresses without the ':'. I have 4 nics so there are 4 records add or remove records as necessary.

Change the following record to have 4 instead of 1

`set timeout='4'`

save the file and close.

8. Open the extra drivers downloaded in step 4 with 7zip and put the file extra.lzma in the second drive that was mounted in step 5.

9. Open the DSM downloaded in step 3 with 7zip and take the files rd.gz and zImage and put them next to extra.lzma we copied in the previous step.

10. Dismount all drives and exit OSFMount.

11. Run Win32DiskImager and flash the loader we mounted and edited with OSFMount.

12. Put it in the USB slot of your server. Preferably the USB on the motherboard if you have one.

13. Boot your machine and go to BIOS settings. change boot type to BIOS and make the USB with the loader on it the first thing to boot and reboot the machine.

14. download Synology Assistant https://global.download.synology.com/download/Tools/Assistant/6.2-24922/Windows/synology-assistant-6.2-24922.exe

15. wait for the message 'Happy Hacking' and launch Synology Assistant and hit search till you see your machine come live. It will take around a minute to 2 minutes.

16. When going through the installation of DSM. Do a manual install and upload the file downloaded in step 3.

Done.

Edited by mosaati

1 hour ago, bluepr0 said:

Hello, where I can find a step by step tutorial on how to use these driver extensions? I'm reading the initial post but I'm totally lost on how to use them. Thanks a lot!

https://xpenology.com/forum/forum/83-faq-start-here/

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7973-tutorial-installmigrate-dsm-52-to-61x-juns-loader/

14 hours ago, eszerfrm said:

I use 1.04b/918+ with both extra/extra2 type   and syno, std, recovery fail....
also 3617 one but i forget detail, that one tried too many loader, all fail.... 
And yet, I've tried copy new zImage and rd.gz to loader

maybe try loader 1.04b as it comes from jun, dont change anything, it should at least boot and you should find it in network (vid/pid gets important when installing the *.pat file)

if that does not work you can try the same with 1.03b for 3615

Hello guys, thank you for your reply. Sorry that I didn't explain it well, what I meant about tutorial is for adding the extra files to the loaders/PAT files. I'm already running a Xpenology using 918+ so I'm familiar with the installation process. I will try to follow @mosaati steps to get the extra files in! Thanks :)

7 часов назад, IG-88 сказал:

virtio driver: i added virtio drivers, they will not load automatically (for now), the drivers can be tested and when confirmed working we will try if there are any problems when they are loaded by default along with the other drivers
they should be in /usr/modules/update/ after install

plz tell me what is the situation with drivers for a network card virtio? If they work - how to install them? There were reports that only e1000 works ...

@IG-88 thanks for your hard workk ;)

Edited by man67