XPEnology Community

Driver extension jun 1.03b/1.04b for DSM6.2.2 for 3615xs / 3617xs / 918+

IG-88

В 19.03.2020 в 00:52, mrmvd сказал:

Oh, thank you. Now with properly installed 1.03b_mod loader it work.

Last thing I would like to do - is hide VMware 50Mb virtual disk which shown at DSM.

Is it possible?

Upgrading VM to 6.7U2 compatibility solves problem

Hello together,

i want to migrate my system to a newer DSM Version.
Currrently i use the "DS3615xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02-alpha" Bootloader with "DSM_6.1.1_DS3615xs_15101"

Is it possible to create a second USB stick with a new boot loader and the system boots up normally and then i can update the DSM version?

I have the Mainboard ASRock J3455.

Hello everyone.

I used loader 1.01 with DS3615 on a bare-metal install on Dell R720xd. It works fine. It contains dual E5-2640 processors with 6 cores each, 12 with HT. But, unfortunately DSM reports only 2 cores of INTEL Core i3-4130.

My network card is BRCM 10G/GbE 2+2P 57800 rNDC and they work just fine.

I have edited the synoinfo.conf file to increase the drives count and see all my 14 drives.

I have seen a post about increasing the core count by using other DSM files.

My questions:

I am not experienced in Xpenology, so is what described in this post correct or doable as described?

I honestly tried to do as was described in the post and I get the happy hacking message but could never find it through the finder. Is this network driver issue?

What is the most appropriate loader that works with my processor with most core count?

Appreciate the help.

Edited by mosaati
more details

2 hours ago, Nybass2 said:

Is it possible to create a second USB stick with a new boot loader and the system boots up normally and then i can update the DSM version?

you should read the 1st post, thats one of the ways 'm suggesting there

I have the Mainboard ASRock J3455.

if you want to use hardware transcoding you can try 918+ loader/image and "syno" extra, the cpu is the same as in the original 918+

serial number or matching mac of the nic should be no problem with this

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/24864-transcoding-without-a-valid-serial-number/

2 hours ago, mosaati said:

I used loader 1.01 with DS3615 on a bare-metal install on Dell R720xd. It works fine. It contains dual E5-2640 processors with 6 cores each, 12 with HT. But, unfortunately DSM reports only 2 cores of INTEL Core i3-4130.

the i3 thing is just a static value synology put in for the original hardware - you might want to read the faq?

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/9392-general-faq/?do=findComment&comment=82391

there is a patch if thats important for you

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13030-dsm-5x6x-cpu-name-cores-infomation-change-tool/

more important is that the kernel (we cant change) is responsible of the real usage of cpu cores

3615, 8 cores

3617, 16 cores

918+, 8 cores

you have 12 when you use HT so you should use 3617

2 hours ago, mosaati said:

I honestly tried to do as was described in the post and I get the happy hacking message but could never find it through the finder. Is this network driver issue?

usually not the nic as most nic's are covered by the additional drivers (at least since december last yaer)

you could get more information when using the serial port on your nas with a null-modem cable and a serial terminal (like putty) on your computer

its just that all output is only going there after you see the message

don't use, 918+ you cpu is to old and you need legacy bios mode (enable csm when its a uefi system and don't use uefi boot device, use the legacy device) to use 3615/17

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

Thank you so much for taking time to read my post and reply.

6 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

you have 12 when you use HT so you should use 3617

It is actually 24 with HT. But I get the message.

8 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

Thank you. I will check.

3 minutes ago, mosaati said:

Thank you. I will check.

dont waste time its just cosmetics, the cpu will be used in the way whats possible without this

5 minutes ago, mosaati said:

It is actually 24 with HT. But I get the message.

ahh, i missed the "dual", so you you need 3617 and should disable HT to prevent "HT-cores" blocking places for real cpu cores

HT usually adds just some lower degree of performance, having the real cores all working is better

Thank you again.

Just now, IG-88 said:

dont waste time its just cosmetics, the cpu will be used in the way whats possible without this

ahh, i missed the "dual", so you you need 3617 and should disable HT to prevent "HT-cores" blocking places for real cpu cores

HT usually adds just some lower degree of performance, having the real cores all working is better

Copy that. Ignoring cosmetics and disabling HT.

As I am typing, I was finally able to boot DS3617xs on loader 1.02b with DSM 6.1.7 with extra drivers image.

I tried 1.03b with its corresponding extra drivers image and it didn't work. Is this expected for my hardware?

3 minutes ago, mosaati said:

I tried 1.03b with its corresponding extra drivers image and it didn't work. Is this expected for my hardware?

the original loader comes with a kernel for dsm 6.2.0 and my extra.lzma in this thread is only working for kernel comming with dsm 6.2.2 so you have to copy the kernel files fro m the dsm *.pat (6.2.2) to the loader replacig  the old files

dell's often have older 1G broadcom onboard (like HP) and your 578xx should work too with the new drivers, i use a 57840 myself and tested this one (bnx2x.ko is the driver)

the older 1G driver is also reported to work when using the correct assortment of files on the loader (extra.lzma and matching kernel)

4 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

the original loader comes with a kernel for dsm 6.2.0 and my extra.lzma in this thread is only working for kernel comming with dsm 6.2.2 so you have to copy the kernel files fro m the dsm *.pat (6.2.2) to the loader replacig  the old files

dell's often have older 1G broadcom onboard (like HP) and your 578xx should work too with the new drivers, i use a 57840 myself and tested this one (bnx2x.ko is the driver)

the older 1G driver is also reported to work when using the correct assortment of files on the loader (extra.lzma and matching kernel)

by the kernel in the dsm.pat you mean the zimage file?

1 minute ago, IG-88 said:

read the 1st post, its all there

Much appreciated. I will do it later tonight or tomorrow as it is checking the integrity now and not sure if I should shutdown and try. Can I?

I finally had the time to do this while in quarantine.

On 1/27/2020 at 9:14 AM, deaduser said:

Upgrade n54l (with internal NIC) 3615xs from 6.1.7 to 6.2.2 + extra.lzma (with adding 2 kernel files to image as described) as "migration" seems not completely successfull. After the procedure system is accessible on the previously assigned IP, but any action through web-interface leads to freezes and unavailability within a couple of minutes. With no login - files and folders accessible through LAN, but I cannot even get access to Control Panel or update packages. Repeats after reboot. Any advice how to fix it without clean install / downgrade? What to check first?

someone migrated successfull n54l without data, settings loss?

I read your post again and again but I dont understand  what to do.

I have DSM 6.2-23739 in a terramaster NAS. If I want update to 6.2.2-24922, are this steps correct?

1- Copy extra.lzma and extra2.lzma in the content of DSM_DS918+_24922.pat file

2. Apply manual update in my xpenology with the patched file

Many thanks for your support

Edited by fm11

2 hours ago, fm11 said:

Copy extra.lzma and extra2.lzma in the content of DSM_DS918+_24922.pat file

"in" the content - must be a translation problem i guess

you place the extra/extra2 on the loader with the new ones and the rd.gz / zImage will be replaced with the same files from the new 24992 pat file

at this point you have nothing changed on you installation, if you start installing 6.2.2 from the web gui of dsm before you have the new loader ready then you are forced to finish or you cant access your data, if you start with the loader and test it (you can make a new one or a copy of your old loader) you can be sure to get it finished as in most cases people have problems with the loader, if you start with the loader and you find it in network telling you version 24922 and  offers to migrate/update then it will be ok as the loader with the new version is working (new kernel and network drivers working)

On 1/18/2020 at 10:06 PM, nadiva said:

re audio, yes it works, plug in some 5$ usb sound card with $2 speakers attached, and AudioStation will play music from your custom machine asap. to test, use:

/volume1/@appstore/AudioStation/bin/mplayer <file.mp3>

actually 2$ speaker discharged every few weeks and sound was terrible. Unlike this 10$ USB sound card with integrated speaker, whichs sounds great! (and is the only of this kind i found, combining both sound card and USB powered on a single USB plug).

Then you can add custom DSM UI notifications along with sound to your scripts (you want your own Notification events with email? sure: https://www.beatificabytes.be/send-custom-notifications-from-scripts-running-on-a-synology-new/😞

synodsmnotify @administrators "DSM notification" "Hello user"

/volume1/@appstore/AudioStation/bin/mplayer /tmp/test.mp3

If you want MORE sound.. you add boot and shutdown script to make noise. Useful!

Finally you want to add sound to standard Synology events. I do this. I translate the incoming emails in a dedicated folder to sound. Not with generic TTS technology (no such package found), but with custom sounds generated at http://www.fromtexttospeech.com/ . I care about all "failures" and few more events. So i just translated the text to mp3 quickly on that website. Then I run email harvester to play it based on specific email content:

#/bin/bash
id=$(id -u $1)
echo "Monitoring user [$id] emails..."
while true; do
    #collect list of emails arrived last minute
    find /volume1/MailPlus/@local/$id/$id/Maildir/.INBOX.Notifications/cur/ -type f -mmin 1 | while IFS= read -r newemail; do
        #grep error text and Synology header
        if [ "$(grep -Pzl '(?s)failed.*\n.*Synology DiskStation' $newemail)" == "$newemail" ]; then
            nohup /volume1/@appstore/AudioStation/bin/mplayer /root/failuredetected.mp3 2> /dev/null &
            echo "$(date) Generic failure alert"
        elif [ "$(grep -Pzl '(?s)An I/O error occurred to drive.*\n.*Synology DiskStation' $newemail)" == "$newemail" ]; then
            nohup /volume1/@appstore/AudioStation/bin/mplayer /root/driveerrordetected.mp3 2> /dev/null &
            echo "$(date) Drive I/O error alert"
        elif [ "$(grep -Pzl '(?s)A file system error was detected.*\n.*Synology DiskStation' $newemail)" == "$newemail" ]; then
            nohup /volume1/@appstore/AudioStation/bin/mplayer /root/filesystemerrordetected.mp3 2> /dev/null &
            echo "$(date) File system error alert"
        elif [ "$(grep -Pzl '(?s)was not ejected properly.*\n.*Synology DiskStation' $newemail)" == "$newemail" ]; then
            nohup /volume1/@appstore/AudioStation/bin/mplayer /root/usbnotejectedproperly.mp3 2> /dev/null &
            echo "$(date) USB ejection alert"
        fi
    done
    sleep 60
done

You could also use one of the notification packages to forward notifications to specific email / text file and process it with different script. That'd add couple of more events (e.g. USB copy finished, why is this isn't emailed:(( ).

This way we have so far:

* AudioStation very nice playback

* DSM boot, shutdown, custom tasks and any Synology events interpreted as speech 🗣️ or sound 🔊

* no external packages needed, no rechargeable batteriers needed, no QNAP NAS needed (feat. voice notifications, why Synology doesn't have it?), no more crying  about missing "beep" DSM function on a custom hardware

To do:

* remote control

* redirect Video Station to USB sound, add big screen and make it a 4K home cinema

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ReGuE said:

if this extension works for asrock j1900, when i use the normal driver, NAS not appear in network.

J1900 seems to be the same as J1800 with 4 cores instead of 2

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/78867/intel-celeron-processor-j1900-2m-cache-up-to-2-42-ghz.html

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/78866/intel-celeron-processor-j1800-1m-cache-up-to-2-58-ghz.html

so syno might be the one to try, if you use the recovery type you can be sure that nothing i915 related will interfere and network should work (if you did all steps right)

if recovery does not work for you its very likely that you missed a step and you would need to describe in detail what you did

just to see it in network you can try just without changing the grub.cfg, the most important vid/pid matters when you install the dsm file, just to find it in network you can use jun's grub.cfg from loader 1.04b, it you find it in network with synology assistant then you can start changing grub.cfg (not messing around with grub.cfg might spare some time trying out things)

On 3/23/2020 at 9:25 PM, IG-88 said:

"in" the content - must be a translation problem i guess

you place the extra/extra2 on the loader with the new ones and the rd.gz / zImage will be replaced with the same files from the new 24992 pat file

at this point you have nothing changed on you installation, if you start installing 6.2.2 from the web gui of dsm before you have the new loader ready then you are forced to finish or you cant access your data, if you start with the loader and test it (you can make a new one or a copy of your old loader) you can be sure to get it finished as in most cases people have problems with the loader, if you start with the loader and you find it in network telling you version 24922 and  offers to migrate/update then it will be ok as the loader with the new version is working (new kernel and network drivers working)

Upadated smoothly finally.

Many many thanks for your work.

On 3/29/2020 at 5:59 PM, cool_dude said:

Does the bootloader for 3617 have more than 12 drives by default?

no, juns patch leaves the original of 12 and my extra.lzma only adds srivers

On 3/29/2020 at 5:59 PM, cool_dude said:

I want to use 24 drives ,vmxnet3 and lsi3008. If not there are there any files that i can update prior to install?

i guess yes but your 24 drive cout need to be done the way it was done before, manually changing synoinfo.conf

On 3/30/2020 at 4:33 PM, cool_dude said:

But if i apply max drive change from 1.04b it fails to detect the disks..

???

what did you change? there are no parts in the patch about max drives and the disk layout (binary pattern as hex number)

you would need to do a new diff file against the original and a completely patched one (juns path plus change for more drives)

6 hours ago, IG-88 said:

no, juns patch leaves the original of 12 and my extra.lzma only adds srivers

i guess yes but your 24 drive cout need to be done the way it was done before, manually changing synoinfo.conf

???

what did you change? there are no parts in the patch about max drives and the disk layout (binary pattern as hex number)

you would need to do a new diff file against the original and a completely patched one (juns path plus change for more drives)

I tried to do diff between 1.03 and 1.04 bootloaders.Added changes for max drives from 1.04b to 1.03 grub config

the patch doing the work is inside extra.lzma, etc/jun.patch

you would need to unpack extra.lzma, make a diff against the original syno.info.conf from the *.pat file with a syno.info.conf patcht the way you want it (first apply juns patch, the you won 24 disk mod and the make a diff, that diff will replace the parts inside jun.patch - that it was i would do)