XPEnology Community

Driver extension jun 1.03b/1.04b for DSM6.2.2 for 3615xs / 3617xs / 918+

IG-88

22 hours ago, man67 said:

I will look for a RAID controller with 6 channels ...

two problems in one sentence

- raid is bad, you want every drive to be seen as a single driver, just a plain controller

-6 sata in a xpenology compatible way seems unlikely (reason below) imho  its 4 or 8, all controller i've seen with 5 or 6 ports where not suitable for yxpenology

As I understand it, in AHCI mode, any one will be picked up by the drivers in 6.2? Or are there any restrictions? 

yes there are restrictions - no multiplexing

you cant have a controller that splits one sata port into more ports, synology blocks this (and it would also a problem when it comes to performance)

so

i found two good 8 port candidates

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/19854-sata-controllers-not-recognized/?do=findComment&comment=122709

there are tons of 4 port controllers, if its marvel 9215, its defiantly good as the chip is a 4 port sata chip

always find out what chips are on the controller, if its more then one chip on a 4 port controller its likely not good

check the specs of the chips, how many pcie lanes are used (by the chip) and how ma ports are there

i explained it in the link above, thats also valid when looking for a 4 or maybe a 6 port controller, in theory a it would be possible to build a 6 port controller the same way as the QNINE 8 Port SATA Card from the link above, like 1 x ASM 1806 (pcie bridge) + 3 x ASM1061 (2port sata), but not sure it that exists

lets take this as exaple

https://www.amazon.com/Controller-Expression-Profile-Bracket-Converter/dp/B07S8CB398

they give good information, not just the chips also what it does

"Chip: ASM 1062(PCIE to SATA Controller)+ASM 1093(Port Multiplier)"

so with port multiplier its a no go for us

also the pcie type is a hint, pcie 1x for a 8 port controller - the bandwidth of pcie 1x is to low for this (and it for sure be a controller with port multiplier)

Edited by IG-88

On 1/4/2020 at 8:08 PM, nadiva said:

Hardware: HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen10, AMD CPU, 32G ECC RAM, SSD+4xHDD+NVME, Aquantia+2xBroadcom NIC
DSM Version: DS3918+ 6.2.2-24922 Update 4 w extra918plus_v0.7_test
Bootloader: 1.04b
Install Method: Migration
Results: Success
Notes: some extra reboots. libNVMEpatch and synoinfo NIC patch. 10gbit with NVME working

Hi Nadiva,

could you, please, update the DSM Post-Installation topic with your successful achievement?

Also, please, let us know, please, how you manage to add a NVMe module on the Gen10 AMD microserver? With an PCI x1, x4, x8 card?

Thanks a lot!

19 часов назад, IG-88 сказал:

two problems in one sentence

- raid is bad, you want every drive to be seen as a single driver, just a plain controller

-6 sata in a xpenology compatible way seems unlikely (reason below) imho  its 4 or 8, all controller i've seen with 5 or 6 ports where not suitable for yxpenology

RAID - It was a mistake, I fixed it later. Of course I meant SATA :)
Thank you so much for the detailed explanations, I have found some important points unknown/incomprehensible to me so far.

19 часов назад, IG-88 сказал:

lets take this as exaple

https://www.amazon.com/Controller-Expression-Profile-Bracket-Converter/dp/B07S8CB398

also the pcie type is a hint, pcie 1x for a 8 port controller - the bandwidth of pcie 1x is to low for this (and it for sure be a controller with port multiplier)

Ok.

I found identical card, it has PCIE x4 , so I think ASM1093 - SATA controller too, not a multiplier (i can't find this chip on ASM site)

Now I have knowledge and understanding :) I hope I will not make a mistake :) Thanks again.

PS There may be a card with two marvel 9215 chip?

PPS I find https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N39YSZD/ref=dp_prsubs_3 card with 4 ASM 1061 controller, but I found "Port Multiplier FIS-based and Command-based switching supported" too .. Сould this be a problem?

Edited by man67

21 hours ago, IG-88 said:

lets take this as exaple

I literally just installed this card as the replacement to the HP240.  I was having trouble finding a card with >1x PCIe lanes and at least 4-ports that costs less than an actual enterprise SAS controller.  I haven't yet confirmed it works, but now I guess I need to hurry up and test it.

14 minutes ago, wickedgtr said:

I literally just installed this card as the replacement to the HP240.  I was having trouble finding a card with >1x PCIe lanes and at least 4-ports that costs less than an actual enterprise SAS controller.  I haven't yet confirmed it works, but now I guess I need to hurry up and test it.

1 x ASM 1062 - a 2 port controller

2 x - ASM 1093 - ???  ASM1092 is a one port in, 2 port out multiplier, maybe 1093  is 1 port in, 3 port out

if that's true then only 2 sata ports will be usable with dsm

17 минут назад, IG-88 сказал:

1 x ASM 1062 - a 2 port controller

2 x - ASM 1093 - ???  ASM1092 is a one port in, 2 port out multiplier, maybe 1093  is 1 port in, 3 port out

if that's true then only 2 sata ports will be usable with dsm

i think that's right, 

"

The 1062 has PCIE ports and 2 SATA ports. The 109X family are port multipliers that do not have PCIE ports, only SATA upstream and 2X SATA downstream. Maybe the 3 in 1093 means it has 3 SATA downstream ports for drives. So my guess is:

Motherboard PCIE port <-> 1062 <-> dual 1093 chips

That gives you 6 ports total.

"

3 minutes ago, man67 said:

Maybe the 3 in 1093 means it has 3 SATA downstream ports for drives. So my guess is:

so only same as i did, guessing (but there seems no other way as the asm1062 is known as 2port and getting from 2 ports to 6 and using two multipliers ...)

but you will find out soon

this can also be nasty for people looking for a 4port controller 1 x asm1062 and 1 x asm1093 make it look like 4 ports but dsm will only see 2 ports

2 минуты назад, IG-88 сказал:

this can also be nasty for people looking for a 4port controller 1 x asm1062 and 1 x asm1093 make it look like 4 ports but dsm will only see 2 ports

Can your answer for this:

" I find https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N39YSZD/ref=dp_prsubs_3 card with 4 ASM 1061 controller, but I found "Port Multiplier FIS-based and Command-based switching supported" too .. Сould this be a problem?"

1 hour ago, man67 said:

card with 4 ASM 1061 controller, but I found "Port Multiplier FIS-based and Command-based switching supported" too .. Сould this be a problem?"

for me that does not fit together, asm1061 is a 2port controller but afaik you would need a pcie bridge chip (like  ASM1806) to have 4 of these together on one pcie card

also why mentioning fis based portmultipliert tech

i guess it will be ok

the card in the link below looks the same (ssu-tech su_sa3008 on the pcb) and there is photo showing the pcb without heat sink revealing that there are 5 chips, labeling the 5th as asm1806 - makes sens that way

https://www.amazon.de/C10INE-Port-Karte-Controller-Kabeln/dp/B07RTGY7Q9

so it looks to be the same hardware design as the card i mentioned in my post about the two 8port cards

Edited by IG-88
  • Like 1

On 1/10/2020 at 5:15 AM, psychoboi32 said:

I know isci not provided by jun that's why I was stick to old version of DSM btw I was using this  Bootloader  by @sbv3000. It just works

ok thats loader 1.02b for dsm 6.1

you cant use this for 6.2.x you need loader 1.03b (and the additional stuff) to get 6.2.2 working

that was the reason i wanted you to upload then boot image from the usb flash drive

On 1/10/2020 at 7:25 PM, psychoboi32 said:

At same forum @sbv3000 said update to beta (idk?) but I update to 6.1.3 from 6.1 then poweroff, attach your drives and it will recover but I am running around circle same migration and you can't downgrade, you have to use latest version. format again my spare drive (FAT32) and my flash drive but same issue, 

to install a recovery system for downgrade you need a "empty" drive, so remove all partitions before trying to install dsm

also you can use any dsm version, so also 6.2.2 if you want

make a new usb with loader 1.03b, add the extra.lzma and zImage, rd.gz like in first lost and boot this up with the empty disk, install dsm 6.2.2 to it

now you have a tested boot media and a disk you "could" use a media for a downgrade or in that case to reset you system partitions (as it would be the same version so it not really a downgrade) - shutdown, keep the new usb in and disconnect the new 6.2.2 single disk

as s step to shorten the way you can now test to boot the new usb with your old disks, if 6.2.2 is already installed it might boot up and you are finished, if there is something older on the disks then 6.2.2 then you should at least find the system in network and see "migratable" as status, try to install 6.2.2 - if that is successful you should have a running 6.2.2 with your last settings, if not you can still continue from here like in the downgrade recovery guide (have usb and one disk (1st sata port)  running and add your old disks, ...

9 minutes ago, DonTomate said:

are the r8168 drivers updated in the new v0.6 version or are they the same as in the jun version?

if you open "drivers included (Reveal hidden contents)" by clicking on it you see that its still the same (the 3615/17 version contains a new version and the new 918+ version will have that too)

6 hours ago, IG-88 said:

si abre "controladores incluidos (Mostrar contenido oculto)" haciendo clic en él, verá que sigue siendo el mismo (la versión 3615/17 contiene una nueva versión y la nueva versión 918+ también la tendrá)

Thanks for the help.  I look forward to the new version with eagerness, you are a genius!

Thank you for the effort you put to this project.

My Synology DSM 6.2.2 dead last night and I've decided to go with XPENology solution in order to up my files storage (4 hdd in raid)

I've tried all loaders: 3615, 3617, 918(1.03b), 918(1.04b) the result is the same - my network card seems not working.

As suggested here I've booted up with Ubuntu Live usb and validated a Network driver - it is r8169 (btw the card worked with no issues)

My next step was to replace extra.lzma and exra2.lzma of 918(1.04b) loader with 'extra.lzma/extra2.lzma for loader 1.04b ds918+ DSM 6.2.2 v0.6_test'

This has given me no results :( just the message 'please go to find.synology.com'

Anything I'm missing? I don't want to buy new Synology :(

My configuration:

MB: MSI H61I-E35 V2/W8

CPU: Celeron G1610T

LAN: Realtek Gigabit Ethernet controller

8 minutes ago, Sergei said:

CPU: Celeron G1610T

ivy bridge, to old for 918+ (needs min. hasswell, 4th gen), so that was not running after the kernel tried to start but you could net see the difference

13 minutes ago, Sergei said:

MB: MSI H61I-E35 V2/W8

LAN: Realtek Gigabit Ethernet controller

just a normal 8111e, nothing unusual and tested already, if you cant find it in network its not the driver for sure

so try to use loader 1.03b and 3615, see the lower half in the 1st post about 3615/17 extra.lzma, if you go with 6.2.2 (DSM_DS3615xs_24922.pat) you will need to copy zImage and rd.gz too

finding it in network would even work without changing vid/pid in grub.cfg

if you miss that you will get a error message on installing as in the tutorial - you did read the faq and the tutorial?

https://xpenology.com/forum/forum/83-faq-start-here/

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7973-tutorial-installmigrate-dsm-52-to-61x-juns-loader/

you also might try the windows program "synology assistant" to find your system in network

maybe you try it first without connecting any disk, if that works try to connect your old disks and see if you see them as migrateable

On 1/10/2020 at 4:35 PM, IG-88 said:

if you are cautious to the extreme you can disconnect your disks (or the power of the disk), copy the new extra.lzma to your usb device (if you have e empty disk at hand connect it) and boot if it comes up in network then there is no obvious problem and when you had a disk connected you can see if the system is ready for install (because it found the disk) you don't need to install anything just a check that the controller(driver) and disk on it works, if that checks out you ran reconnect all your disks and start the system, it will copy the nee drivers to your disk and your realtek network should be up and running

(there is not much what would block a 3615/17 from booting, that's mainly a domain of the 918+ loader because of the i915 driver used for hardware transcoding)

It worked beautifully swapped out the extra.lzma with the one from this thread and no issues 3x1gb of Ethernet now. Thanks @IG-88

Hey!

Thanks for the hard work!

I have xpenology running as a proxmox VM. It has 3 nics (for testing purposes): 2 e1000e (which work fine) and 1 virtio.

I can load your modules virtio, virtio_ring and virtio_net witouh problem, but the virtio device is still not listed by ifconfig

I even made a custom extra.lzma, rebuild synoboot. Modules are loaded, still no virtio nic :(

Am I missing something?

Edited by x1fr

8 minutes ago, richv31 said:

does it make sense to create a repackaged loader (like a 1.03c or something) that is suitable for either fresh installs or upgrades to 6.2.2? The current way to create it/update it is convoluted and likely inaccessible to some folks.

maybe 1.03b_mod and 1.04b_mod to not mistake it as a now loader, i don't want people to replace it just because of higher version number

but i'm not going to offer a complete loader for legal reasons

if anyone wants to do something like that, i don't mind if my extra.lzma is used as long as it keeps reference to the version number of the extra.lzma that is included

9 hours ago, x1fr said:

I even made a custom extra.lzma, rebuild synoboot. Modules are loaded, still no virtio nic

i can only deliver the drivers from the kernel, maybe the synology kernel misses something?

people with kvm/virtio experience have to tell

I'm currently running DSM6.2.0 on my home-build server (Mobo: Gigabyte b360m-d3h, Proc: G5400T, Eth:  I219-V) with no problems using extra.lzma v0.5_test. However, it fails to update to 6.2.1 or 6.2.2 (cant find it in local network). I've tried using the original extra.lzma, v0.5_test and v0.6_test, and both are not working. When using v0.6_test i do notice that my network card is showing some activity, so i guess its related to another driver that's not working. Anyone have any idea on what i can try?

Thank you IG-88.

Was testing new install a couple of day 3617sx 24922 then decided to --> Update took a bit but SUCCESSFUL. Esxi 6.5 3617sx 23739U - My lan xpenology "production" 

Update 3617sx 23739U to 3617sx 24922u4  -- Cross finger but ROCK Solid for now. Update at your own risk -- Downgrade mean new install.

Yea must not be easy for some people to build the Jun 1.03bmod... (Install Difficulty 5-7/10: Minimum know how to change a MAC or Serial#).

GREAT JOB @IG-88

@juliantje15  Only serial port can help if your network card is not recognized. Use the serial port with PUTTY.

If new install restart! If update a working xpenology then 2 way:

1- Easy way: restart the computer and check the message to see if there is Network card and IP... 

2- use a admin account to log in and use "ifconfig" to check network card and IP. It is a linux machine...

18 minutes ago, xpeno1 said:

@juliantje15  Only serial port can help if your network card is not recognized. Use the serial port with PUTTY.

If new install restart! If update a working xpenology then 2 way:

1- Easy way: restart the computer and check the message to see if there is Network card and IP... 

2- use a admin account to log in and use "ifconfig" to check network card and IP. It is a linux machine...

I have a serial header connection, so if i want to use it i first have to buy a connector. Ill see if i can get my hands on one of those.

9 minutes ago, xpeno1 said:

. (Install Difficulty 5-7/10: Minimum know how to change a MAC or Serial#).

if you come from 6.1 and want to get 6.2 you will have to enter vid/pid and use osfmount (on windows) even when not using a special extra.lzma

i guess if the new 918+ extra is out, better documented and more tested then there might be a complete loader for 6.2.2, for now its to early to make the the normal way like in the tutorial section

40 minutes ago, juliantje15 said:

'm currently running DSM6.2.0 on my home-build server (Mobo: Gigabyte b360m-d3h, Proc: G5400T, Eth:  I219-V) with no problems using extra.lzma v0.5_test. However, it fails to update to 6.2.1 or 6.2.2 (cant find it in local network). I've tried using the original extra.lzma, v0.5_test and v0.6_test, and both are not working. When using v0.6_test i do notice that my network card is showing some activity, so i guess its related to another driver that's not working. Anyone have any idea on what i can try?

you forgot to mention what type or loader you use

i guess its 918+ and the intel will work for sure with the new 0.7+, just wait