XPEnology Community

Driver extension jun 1.03b/1.04b for DSM6.2.2 for 3615xs / 3617xs / 918+

IG-88

Great work, IG-88! You rock!

On my side, I can report that the fresh install on my HP Gen8 micro server went smooth like butter. Used one HDD and new USB to test the installation. Both built-in NICs are recognized. A note that during the DSM install, the server rebooted by itself before I was able to go through the set up process. I am sure that's expected but I wanted to throw it out there as an FYI. With that said, it seems to me that DSM automatically updated to the latest version (Update 4) which, if that's the case, that's great.

Copied extra.lzma, rd.gz and zImage files to 2nd partition (the 30MB size one), as per instructions.

One question though: should I understand that for the minor updates under 6.2.2 we should be good with the USB created and those may be required again only for major updates in the future?

Next step would be to test the migration from 6.1.7 to 6.2.2. I will provide update once completed.

Hardware: HP Microserver Gen8 micro

Bootloader: 1.03b

DSM Version: 6.2.2 24922 Update 4

Install Method: Fresh install

6 hours ago, Decebalus said:

One question though: should I understand that for the minor updates under 6.2.2 we should be good with the USB created and those may be required again only for major updates in the future?

usually you dont need new drivers or a new loader when keeping inside a major version like 6.2

we did not have this kind of problem/change inside 6.0 or 6.1 line

i don't expect that synology will do much, they are busy bringing up 7.0 and that will usually need a new loader/hack/driver pack

6 hours ago, Decebalus said:

Next step would be to test the migration from 6.1.7 to 6.2.2. I will provide update once completed.

i have read about 2 people having problems with plugins after migrating from 6.1 in the last week, not seen someone commenting on that, i don't see a connection to drivers here so its not really my department, my update tests where usually just without additional packages and i'm not sure i even opened the package center

2 hours ago, Messenger said:

Think many got a HP N54l like me, possible to integrate the Nic (Network Controller: Embedded NC107i PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Server Adapter) think from Broadcom?

see above, all microserver have broadcom nic's onboard using tg3.ko as driver

• Like 3

5 hours ago, IG-88 said:

i have read about 2 people having problems with plugins after migrating from 6.1 in the last week, not seen someone commenting on that, i don't see a connection to drivers here so its not really my department, my update tests where usually just without additional packages and i'm not sure i even opened the package center

Interesting. I do have a lot of add-ons. Since I have already ordered a N360T NIC before I performed this testing, should I wait to install the NIC and use Jun’s 1.03b loader with the 6.2.2 pat without copying the files to the 2nd partition then? What would you recommend?

Edited by Decebalus

1 hour ago, S__M said:

88E8056/88E8001

if you look here in the network driver list here

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/12859-driver-extension-jun-103a2dsm62x-for-ds918/

you will find that it is sky2.ko and skge.ko what you ask for

when in doubt you can open the extra.lzma with 7zip and check if the files are in and they are present

so you might try the new extra.lzma for 6.2.2 with a fresh test install to a empty disk or even just boot up a fresh prepared usb to check if you can find the system in network. no need to install anything if you want to know that the network driver is working, most important part is to copy the 6.2.2 zImage and rd.gz to the usb together with the new extra.lzma

2 minutes ago, Decebalus said:

Interesting. I do have a lot of add-ons. Since I have already ordered a N360T NIC before I performed this testing, should I wait to install the NIC and use Jun’s 1.03b loader with the 6.2.2 pat without copying the files to the 2nd partition then? What would you recommend?

from my point of view  the drivers (kernel) are not related to the DSM package center, thats just a application inside DSM

there should be no difference using jun's extra.lzma or mine, i've not changed anything beside driver (*.ko) files and the "rc.modules" (containing the names of drivers and firmware loaded)

On 12/25/2019 at 12:47 PM, mckaycr said:

Hardware: Dell PowerEdge R410 with 6.2.2 24922 DSM version

DSM Version: 6.2.2 24922 Update 4

Install Method: Migration from 6.1.7.51284

Results: Success

Notes: I migrated from from DS3615xs 6.1.7.51284 to DS3617xs 6.2.2 24922 for no real reason, just wanted to try.  All data was successfully migrated as well.

Did you have any add-ons/packages installed on 6.1.7? If yes, did you encounter any issues with those after the upgrade to 6.2.2?

2 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

from my point of view  the drivers (kernel) are not related to the DSM package center, thats just a application inside DSM

there should be no difference using jun's extra.lzma or mine, i've not changed anything beside driver (*.ko) files and the "rc.modules" (containing the names of drivers and firmware loaded)

fully agreed. In that case, I am not sure why the other 2 members have experienced issues with the add-ons. Doesn’t really make sense to me unless I am missing something. The only situation that may occur would be when changing the model of Synology during the upgrade, perhaps. With that said, I think I will still proceed with the migration and report back. Thanks a million, IG-88!

38 минут назад, IG-88 сказал:

if you look here in the network driver list here

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/12859-driver-extension-jun-103a2dsm62x-for-ds918/

you will find that it is sky2.ko and skge.ko what you ask for

when in doubt you can open the extra.lzma with 7zip and check if the files are in and they are present

so you might try the new extra.lzma for 6.2.2 with a fresh test install to a empty disk or even just boot up a fresh prepared usb to check if you can find the system in network. no need to install anything if you want to know that the network driver is working, most important part is to copy the 6.2.2 zImage and rd.gz to the usb together with the new extra.lzma

Hi. I`m use this lzma. System not start... no lan connection, intel lan installed in system too. DSM is lastest. 3 lan adapters in system...

Edited by S__M

1 hour ago, S__M said:

, intel lan installed in system too

and that's where i'm sure its something else, the e1000e.ko and igb.ko i can test myself and they do work here

when doing a test / fresh install there is not much that can go wrong when the steps described in the 1st post in the 3615/17 section

-loader, extra.lzma and *.pat file (used for extracting the zImage and rd.gz and later useed for installing) need to for the same type (like ds3615)

-pat file needs to be 6.2.2 aka v24922

-zImage and rd.gz (extracted from v24922 pat file)  have to copied to the usb at the same location as the extra.lzma

1 hour ago, Decebalus said:

Did you have any add-ons/packages installed on 6.1.7? If yes, did you encounter any issues with those after the upgrade to 6.2.2?

One server was a fresh install, and the other I migrated only had hyperbackup running on it.  No issues.

3 минуты назад, IG-88 сказал:

and that's where i'm sure its something else, the e1000e.ko and igb.ko i can test myself and they do work here

when doing a test / fresh install there is not much that can go wrong when the steps described in the 1st post in the 3615/17 section

-loader, extra.lzma and *.pat file (used for extracting the zImage and rd.gz and later useed for installing) need to for the same type (like ds3615)

-pat file needs to be 6.2.2 aka v24922

-zImage and rd.gz (extracted from v24922 pat file)  have to copied to the usb at the same location as the extra.lzma

Intel works good . Marvell not work ...  I need marvell))

1 hour ago, S__M said:

System not start... no lan connection, intel lan installed in system too.

4 minutes ago, S__M said:

Intel works good . Marvell not work ...  I need marvell))

that both cant be true then

if the system start with the intel you can provide logs that should give me a hint whats wrong with the marvell drivers

(you can pm  me the logs if you dont want to give them here in the thread)

Edited by IG-88

8 минут назад, IG-88 сказал:

that both cant be true then

if the system start with the intel you can provide a logs that should give me a hint whats wrong with the marvell drivers

(you can pm  me the logs if you dont want to give them here in the thread)

How to get logs in the terminal?

Edited by S__M

5 minutes ago, S__M said:

At startup, nothing is visible on the screen except a greeting from the bootloader

thats normal

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/9394-installation-faq/?do=findComment&comment=81098

47 minutes ago, S__M said:

How to get logs in the terminal?

a terminal like putty has a scrollback buffer, you can copy from it

https://www.linux.com/tutorials/viewing-linux-logs-command-line/

you can also have a windows share and copy the files in question to that shared folder and access the files

usually the destination would be somewhere in /volume1, depending in the name you have given your data folder

there is also winscp to access files

[Thu Jan  2 21:00:51 2020] jme: Unknown symbol pci_disable_link_state (err 0)

THAT should not be there, this message will appear when you use the new 6.2.2 kernel and old driver from 6.2.0

[Thu Jan  2 21:00:51 2020] BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at 00000000ffffffff
[Thu Jan  2 21:00:51 2020] IP: [<ffffffff81007b22>] dma_set_mask+0x22/0x50
[Thu Jan  2 21:00:51 2020] PGD 135599067 PUD 0
[Thu Jan  2 21:00:51 2020] Oops: 0002 [#1] SMP
[Thu Jan  2 21:00:51 2020] Modules linked in: skge(F+) ipg(F) uio(F) alx(F) atl1c(F) atl1e(F) atl1(F) libphy(F)

ok here the driver you want to use crashed, but the source of the problem might be come from above (old extra.lzma)

edit: check the zip file you downloaded, the date of the extra.lzma in the zip file should be 16.12.2019 to be the 0.5_test

Edited by IG-88

3 hours ago, Decebalus said:

fully agreed. In that case, I am not sure why the other 2 members have experienced issues with the add-ons. Doesn’t really make sense to me unless I am missing something. The only situation that may occur would be when changing the model of Synology during the upgrade, perhaps. With that said, I think I will still proceed with the migration and report back. Thanks a million, IG-88!

OK. Tried to do the migration without success at this point. A few things that I have noticed:

1. Despite that the fresh install worked like a charm and the server rebooted during the installation process and ended up with the latest Update 4 for 6.2.2, this did not happen during the migration (using the same USB stick, haven't changed anything). After 10 mins, the server ended up off the network and I had to reboot it manually

2. After the reboot, the DSM version is 6.2.2-24922 only (no update version)

3. I have tried this several times: once I reboot (or boot up) the server, it shows on the network for approx. 5 min; even the login page comes up. However, after that it drops off the network. If I try to log in through the login page during those 5 mins, it says "Loading..." but I am not able to get to the Synology home page

4. Now, the interesting part: while the server does not show on the network in Synology Assistant or find.synology.com, I am able to connect to it through the DSM mobile app. However, when I try to go to the Firmware option and tries to check for the most recent update (I am expecting to find Update 4), it throws an error message "Connection failed. Verify your network connection" or something similar. With that said, I can see on the mobile app that the data is still there.

While I will be trying more things, I have a question: does the "Reinstall" option in Jun's loader wipe the data on the drives? I was wondering if I can use that to try to reinstall 6.2.2.

Any suggestions/recommendations regarding the nest steps you think I should try, are more than welcome.

27 минут назад, IG-88 сказал:

[Thu Jan  2 21:00:51 2020] jme: Unknown symbol pci_disable_link_state (err 0)

THAT should not be there, this message will appear when you use the new 6.2.2 kernel and old driver from 6.2.0

[Thu Jan  2 21:00:51 2020] BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at 00000000ffffffff
[Thu Jan  2 21:00:51 2020] IP: [<ffffffff81007b22>] dma_set_mask+0x22/0x50
[Thu Jan  2 21:00:51 2020] PGD 135599067 PUD 0
[Thu Jan  2 21:00:51 2020] Oops: 0002 [#1] SMP
[Thu Jan  2 21:00:51 2020] Modules linked in: skge(F+) ipg(F) uio(F) alx(F) atl1c(F) atl1e(F) atl1(F) libphy(F)

ok here the driver you want to use crashed, but the source of the problem might be come from above (old extra.lzma)

Maybe I should try replacing with new files from the post

[Thu Jan  2 22:14:43 2020] e1000e: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver - 3.3.4-NAPI
3.6.0-NAPI in my 0.5 extra.lzma

[Thu Jan  2 22:14:43 2020] i40e: Intel(R) 40-10 Gigabit Ethernet Connection Network Driver - version 2.3.6
2.4.10 in my 0.5 extra.lzma

[Thu Jan  2 22:14:43 2020] tn40xx: Tehuti Network Driver, 0.3.6.12.3
0.3.6.17.2 in my 0.5 extra.lzma

definitely not what it should be

you can try to empty /usr/lib/modules/update/

the files there should be rewritten from the extra.lzma on usb when booting

if there are still problems please use "Win32DiskImager 1.0"  (with option "real only allocated partitions") to read your usb you are using, upload the file somewhere and PM me the link,i will check the loader for kernel and extra.lzma on it