XPEnology Community

Driver extension jun 1.03b/1.04b for DSM6.2.2 for 3615xs / 3617xs / 918+

IG-88

Update

Hardware: HP Microserver Gen8 micro

Bootloader: 1.02b --> 1.03b

DSM Version:6.1.7 --> 6.2.2 24922 Update 4

Install Method: Fresh install

Additional NICs: Mellanox MCX312A-XCBT ConnectX-3 EN 10GbE Dual Port SFP+ PCIe3.0 Card CX312A

Results: Success

Notes: Upgraded the USB's extra.lzma on 1.02b this failed. I forgot I was on 1.02b. recreated the USB drive with the same serial and NICs with 1.03b, updated the extra.lzma, zimage, and rd file. Placed the USB drive back into the machine and the upgrade process completed on it's own without having to do the migrate process. 

On 12/25/2019 at 5:01 AM, TyShawn said:

but the Mellanox card did not show up until DMS was loaded

i guess thats the same when using a real 3615/17, the mellanox drivers are not in rd.gz, only in the dsm pat file (system image), so that would be seen as normal behavior

when adding newer mellanox drivers and they get loaded in extra,lzma then it will work for installing using over that 10G connection, but i guess thats kind of a luxury that most people wont need

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, TyShawn said:

Notes: Upgraded the USB's extra.lzma on 1.02b this failed. I forgot I was on 1.02b. recreated the USB drive with the same serial and NICs with 1.03b, updated the extra.lzma, zimage, and rd file. Placed the USB drive back into the machine and the upgrade process completed on it's own without having to do the migrate process. 

yes but i choose the different way in my how to on purpose, when having a 1.02b usb (keeping it by making a image or using a new usb for 1.03b), try to prepare a 1.03b usb and  fail on that step (not doing it right or hardware is not supported/working for some reason) you still have not done anything to the system itself, you can just put back your old usb and boot up again and have another try later, when installing the 6.2.2 dsm first you will be forced to get the 1.03b usb working or need to do a downgrade

creating a usb fist and checking that network and storage is working by booting it up and let it find the disks with the migration process seems safer then producing a semi brick on purpose and having to fix it without knowing that you are up to the task, lots of users do the usb creation step once in years

• Thanks 1

Tried a "safe" install onto a fresh disk and IT WORKS wonderfully,  so now i'm planning on migrating my existing 6.2 setup, thank you.

Btw my nas is a terramaster f4-220  3615xs with integrated realtek NIC and AHCI storage.

Previously i cannot upgrade to 6.2.2 because of the no-more supported NIC adapter.

How stable i am if i use your pack in production? If i understand correctly the possible unstability may come only from the added non-AHCI storage drivers (but my system use generic AHCI), so i guess i'm ok as far my system is using only the updated realtek driver?

Hello everyone, i'm on 3617 version 6.2-23739 in VmWare with BootLoader 1.03b and work fine...

But i try to upgrade on 6.2.2, problem after install with network not find the NAS this is normal!

I trying with your method, i have put the zimage ans rd file on 6.2.2 and your extra.lzma

after reboot the NAS work on the network!! Great news!!!

But he says not hard disk found... i have add one in scsi and sata and always no HDD found...

Anyone have idee how i make detect hdd please?

47 minutes ago, Herrnobiz said:

How stable i am if i use your pack in production?

if a test install works i dont think there will be trouble, its more about the missing support of even more storage controllers and the crashes when loading untested storage drivers, ahci is safe as it is part of synologys kernel

38 minutes ago, Doud said:

But he says not hard disk found... i have add one in scsi and sata and always no HDD found...

remove scsi controllers, only sata will work on vmware for 6.2.2

check your config with the tutorial

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13061-tutorial-install-dsm-62-on-esxi-67/

Edited by IG-88
  • Thanks 2

Il y a 2 heures, IG-88 a dit :

remove scsi controllers, only sata will work on vmware for 6.2.2

check your config with the tutorial

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13061-tutorial-install-dsm-62-on-esxi-67/

Thank you so much!!!!!

This problem is the hdd loader in sata controler 0:1 and the other HDD don't here in that controler...

I have put loader in controler 0:1 and other disk sata in 1:1 - 1:2 and that work fine!!!!

Big thank IG-88

On 12/25/2019 at 12:47 PM, mckaycr said:

Hardware: Dell PowerEdge R410 with 6.2.2 24922 DSM version

DSM Version: 6.2.2 24922 Update 4

Install Method: Migration from 6.1.7.51284

Results: Success

Notes: I migrated from from DS3615xs 6.1.7.51284 to DS3617xs 6.2.2 24922 for no real reason, just wanted to try.  All data was successfully migrated as well.

What nic are you using with this, did you add extra.lzma to the ds3617 loader ?

18 minutes ago, painkiller895 said:

What nic are you using with this, did you add extra.lzma to the ds3617 loader ?

Dell PowerEdge R410 has embedded dual-port Broadcom NetXtreme II 5716 - driver bnx2.ko, suported by new 0.5 extra.lzma for DSM 6.2.2

also any 1 Gigabit intel nic should work as there there are recent drivers in the new package

6 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

Dell PowerEdge R410 has embedded dual-port Broadcom NetXtreme II 5716 - driver bnx2.ko, suported by new 0.5 extra.lzma for DSM 6.2.2

also any 1 Gigabit intel nic should work as there there are recent drivers in the new package

so I would have to add the new extra.lzma 0.5 for ds3617  to work ? The Broadcom NetXtreme II 5716 - driver bnx2.ko is not working for me. I had added a Intel nic to get DS3615 to work on the 3615xs 6.1.7.51284

Edited by painkiller895

33 minutes ago, painkiller895 said:

so I would have to add the new extra.lzma 0.5 for it to work ? The Broadcom NetXtreme II 5716 - driver bnx2.ko is not working for me.

it should have worked wit the old extra.lzma and dsm 6.2.0, only the kernel options change by synology broke that for 6.2.2 and it needed newly compiled drivers to match the new kernel

but now as there are fresh drivers for 6.2.2 it should be working with 6.2.2

when already running 6.2.2 you could add the new extra.lzma to your usb and on next reboot it should be loaded and copied to your system

if you want a test without any risk there are 2 options

- extract the bnx2.ko from extra.lzma (extraction is possible with 7zip or the way described in the driver injection tutorial), copy it to your running 6.2.2 dsm and insmod the driver (as the old one did not work it should not be needed to rmmod the driver), that driver needs firmware but the firmware should be already there and is still the same as in the former 6.2.0 version

- create a new usb, disconnect all drives in use, use new usb (6.2.2 kernel and new 0.5 extra.lzma) and install to a empty disk to check the result

I had added a Intel nic to get DS3615 to work on the 3615xs 6.1.7.51284

if there is no one around providing new drivers then using a hardware that is directly supported by dsm is a option (the other is to stay on a older release like 6.2.0 or 6.1)

on my new system i will use a 8 port ahci controller instead of the good old sas2008 (mpt2sas) based controller - as synology is not meddling in the kernel code of the network cards its still no problem to provide drivers for nic's (as long as they are in the 4.4.59 kernel or the external source is compatible with that kernel - at least for 918+, for 3615/17 its kernel 3.10.105 and that can be a problem in some cases as new external drivers might compile/work with that old kernel)

edit: wait, it did not work for you on dsm 6.1 with my extra.lzma (like v4.8)? should have, the driver is there and the firmware files also match the driver, i'm sure there where people with dell's that got it working, afaik this driver was already part of jun's extra.lzma but there where 2 (mips) firmware files missing in jun's extra.lzma so it work not for all (maybe depending on hardware version of the nic)

Edited by IG-88

1 hour ago, painkiller895 said:

so I would have to add the new extra.lzma 0.5 for ds3617  to work ? The Broadcom NetXtreme II 5716 - driver bnx2.ko is not working for me. I had added a Intel nic to get DS3615 to work on the 3615xs 6.1.7.51284

If you'd like I can share my image with you, you would just need to change the MAC Addresses and the Serial, everything else should boot right up

8 hours ago, mckaycr said:

Shot you a private message with a link to the image I used.

Good news and Bad news: Bad News is that my Dell R410 Intel E5620 2.4 gz  did not work using your loader, was not found on the network.  I had an Intel nic installed also

Good News it worked on my Dell 990 migrated from ds3615xs to ds3617xs

Thanks I keep you updated as I keep testing, BTW what are the specs on your R410 ? Did you add a Intel nic ?

Thank you to all on the board and Happy New years to all !

Edited by painkiller895

On 12/30/2019 at 10:41 PM, IG-88 said:

it should have worked wit the old extra.lzma and dsm 6.2.0, only the kernel options change by synology broke that for 6.2.2 and it needed newly compiled drivers to match the new kernel

but now as there are fresh drivers for 6.2.2 it should be working with 6.2.2

when already running 6.2.2 you could add the new extra.lzma to your usb and on next reboot it should be loaded and copied to your system

if you want a test without any risk there are 2 options

- extract the bnx2.ko from extra.lzma (extraction is possible with 7zip or the way described in the driver injection tutorial), copy it to your running 6.2.2 dsm and insmod the driver (as the old one did not work it should not be needed to rmmod the driver), that driver needs firmware but the firmware should be already there and is still the same as in the former 6.2.0 version

- create a new usb, disconnect all drives in use, use new usb (6.2.2 kernel and new 0.5 extra.lzma) and install to a empty disk to check the result

if there is no one around providing new drivers then using a hardware that is directly supported by dsm is a option (the other is to stay on a older release like 6.2.0 or 6.1)

on my new system i will use a 8 port ahci controller instead of the good old sas2008 (mpt2sas) based controller - as synology is not meddling in the kernel code of the network cards its still no problem to provide drivers for nic's (as long as they are in the 4.4.59 kernel or the external source is compatible with that kernel - at least for 918+, for 3615/17 its kernel 3.10.105 and that can be a problem in some cases as new external drivers might compile/work with that old kernel)

edit: wait, it did not work for you on dsm 6.1 with my extra.lzma (like v4.8)? should have, the driver is there and the firmware files also match the driver, i'm sure there where people with dell's that got it working, afaik this driver was already part of jun's extra.lzma but there where 2 (mips) firmware files missing in jun's extra.lzma so it work not for all (maybe depending on hardware version of the nic)

Hi IG :)

Thank you so much for your work. Much appreciated!!

Do you mean that LSI 2008 IT mode will not be viable for the future and will it not work for the current DSM?

Ive been lurking here to build myself an Xpenology box that will include the LSI card.

Thanks and a Happy New Year to all forum members!

2 hours ago, tahuru said:

Do you mean that LSI 2008 IT mode will not be viable for the future and will it not work for the current DSM?

it does work on 3615/17 and also does on my current test version for 918+ (6.2.2)

atm i'm using juns mpt3sas driver and i have no clue whey my compiled drivers do not work (kernel oops when drive is attached to controller)

if we get no (recent) kernel source from synology and they alter things further then there might be no way for dsm versions that do not come with lsi support (like 918+)

i got a 8 port ahci controller for my new build (additional network drivers seem to be no problem)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/19854-sata-controllers-not-recognized/?do=findComment&comment=122709

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

what hardware do you use?

did you try the already released 0.5 version?

A Dell PowerEdge R710. Cannot get NIC to work whatsoever. Tried the 0.5 version on both the 15 and 17 loaders and was unable to get the NIC working. 

The NIC is Broadcom/QLogic 5709c, which uses the bnx2 driver.