XPEnology Community

Driver extension jun 1.03b/1.04b for DSM6.2.2 for 3615xs / 3617xs / 918+

IG-88

On 11/26/2019 at 1:10 PM, IG-88 said:

we will see in about 2 weeks, i have got ideas what to try with 918+ when redoing the driver and i have a good kernel config to try out

good to know same names now being able to test ixgbe and even i40e

i will stop trying to get sas/scsi drivers working for 3615/16 on 6.2.2, network drivers seem to work fine and 3615 has mpt2sas and 3617 has mpt2sas and mpt3sas, good enough

@IG-88  - 

I know I am a new member, but I've been reading this forum for a long time.

I really appreciate your efforts on improving hardware support for the loaders, and if there is anyway I can encourage you to continue on the 3615/17 (1.03b) modules -  I am specifically looking for the hpsa module. I have a lot of different hardware, and would gladly assist in testing for you.  I just found the threads on building the modules/extra.lzma, so if you are 100% done working on 3615/17 I can go that route on compiling and creating a custom extra.lzma.  Thank you for everything you've done so far (and continue to do).

@vlaser How warm is your j3455-itx?
Mine is in a case that's got holes like swiss-cheese AND I have a fan that blows onto the CPU heatsink (and hard drives)..

I don't do transcoding yet.. Not sure what the point is - I play in whatever resolution the movie is already encoded in..

That might change once I'm forced to buy a 4K TV.. Though I'll see what difference, if any, it makes..

Have you tried different types of files for transcoding etc?

Also, how does the CPU/RAM behave when you're doing it?

It might also be DSM itself, ya know.. :)
The latest Video Station update has a fix for "video transcoding failures"..

1 hour ago, wickedgtr said:

I am specifically looking for the hpsa module.

the hpsa driver from kernel 3.10.105 is in the extra.lzma but there seems to be something wrong with most sas/scsi drivers my compiled mpt/mpt2/mpt3 drivers dont work, also  vmw_pvscsi (vmware paravirtual scsi) does not work, synology might have changed the kernel code in the sas/scsi area preventing us having new drivers because they did not publish any new kernel source since the 6.0 beta over 2 years ago, maybe we cant do much and from the feedback of some testers i dont have much hope that the the (yet untested) hpsa driver will work (also it does not support newer controllers and we had a lot of trouble with the external drivers too already)

for now the is no mpt / vmware driver and mpt2 will be use what comes with dsm (3617 also has a mpt3)

as long as i cant compile a working mpt2sas driver from the kernel source there is not much hope to get other sas/scsi drivers working

after 3615/17 release i will try whats possible with the 4.4.x kernel from 918+

for people wanting to buy a controller my recommendation is ahci not sas

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/19854-sata-controllers-not-recognized/?tab=comments#comment-122709

Maybe I am missing it, but I dont see any download for a extra.lzma for loader 1.03b at all.  Only for 1.04 and 1.02 - I did try insmod the hpsa.ko that is in the 1.04b loader:

insmod: ERROR: could not insert module hpsa.ko: Invalid module format

Not sure where to go from here.

checked dmesg - its the from kernel version - again maybe I am missing the correct download for extra.lzma

hpsa: version magic '4.4.59+ SMP preempt mod_unload ' should be '3.10.105 SMP mod_unload '

Edited by wickedgtr

Thanks for your great work.

I'm using DSM 6.2.2 (DS918+) under Proxmox, so I really need VIRTIO drivers for 10G communication and fast DISK IO access.

Could you add all VIRTIO drivers(virtio_net, virtio_scsi, virtio_blk..)?

I compiled and added VIRTIO drivers under DSM 6.1.7. but under DSM 6.2.2, didn't load VIRTIO drivers.

sorry for poor english 

Edited by riverflow

Hello, just a question, i did not see it working anywhere but i would like to verify by myself...

Is there a way to hace hyper-v nic to work? I tried some days ago and i finally moved to VirtualBox since i was not able to get any lan to work, i tried dda to passthrough nics but i dont know if still need to do something on guest or my AMD platform has some virtualization issues with hyper-v.

15 hours ago, wickedgtr said:

Maybe I am missing it, but I dont see any download for a extra.lzma for loader 1.03b at all.

polanskiman changed the topic a while ago (original war just 1.04b),it takes more time then expected (new problems with sas/scsi drivers found) and i don't have much time left atm (kind of end of the year rumble at work)

also installing needed more testing as you can't just copy the new extra.lzma to jun's loader 1.03b (for now it seems best to extract zImage and rd.gz from 6.2.2 DSM *.pat file and copy it together with the extra.lzma to usb)

10 hours ago, riverflow said:

Could you add all VIRTIO drivers(virtio_net, virtio_scsi, virtio_blk..)?

already happend for 3615/17 but still not released yet and will be done in the next weeks for 918+ too when restarting work in 918+ after finishing with 3615/17

10 hours ago, riverflow said:

I compiled and added VIRTIO drivers under DSM 6.1.7. but under DSM 6.2.2, didn't load VIRTIO drivers.

sorry for poor english 

there was a change in kernel config in 6.2.2 making most driver incompatible

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7187-how-to-build-and-inject-missing-drivers-in-jun-loader-102a/?do=findComment&comment=122631

i also found a "good" kernel config and have documented some steps i did to adapt to 6.2.2, but that extension need some more writing and i dont have much time, if you are interested i can send you what i have, its not fool proof but if you know how to compile a kernel you will find your way i guess

感谢你付出的努力。我将0.6版的测试文件放在USB启动盘上。打开计算机时,无法获取IP。我无法在局域网中搜索主机。我的方法正确吗?(我的主机是1.04b,6.2.2,918+,CPU是i3-5005u,集成网卡inter1218lm,USB3.0网卡rtl8153)

Edited by yufeiyang

Thank you for your efforts. I put the test file of version 0.6 on the USB boot disk. I can't get the IP when I turn on the computer. I can't search the host in the LAN. Is my method right? (my host is 1.04b, 6.2.2, 918+,CPU is i3-5005u, integrated network card inter1218lm, USB3.0 network card rtl8153)

18 hours ago, yufeiyang said:

USB3.0 network card rtl8153)

i would not count on a usb nic for installing, i've never tried this, also i'm not sure the driver in 0.6 is new enough for youre adapter, its just the one that came with kernel 4.4.59

intel i218-lm is a e1000e device, that driver is the latest 3.6.0 in 0.6 so it should work (as i had this one tested)

maybe try some "older" loader for dsm 6.1 at first, or maybe a version meant to be used with 6.2.0

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/12859-driver-extension-jun-103a2dsm62x-for-ds918/

the 0.6 918+ needs to be redone, and i will do it the week before or after christmas

Edited by IG-88

On 12/3/2019 at 4:13 AM, Hostilian said:

@vlaser How warm is your j3455-itx?
Mine is in a case that's got holes like swiss-cheese AND I have a fan that blows onto the CPU heatsink (and hard drives)..

I don't do transcoding yet.. Not sure what the point is - I play in whatever resolution the movie is already encoded in..

That might change once I'm forced to buy a 4K TV.. Though I'll see what difference, if any, it makes..

Have you tried different types of files for transcoding etc?

Also, how does the CPU/RAM behave when you're doing it?

It might also be DSM itself, ya know.. :)
The latest Video Station update has a fix for "video transcoding failures"..

Hi, mine is in the Thermaltake Core V1 Mini ITX Cube case (front fan speed is set at 20% in the bios) so j3455-itx is pretty cool. :)

I think hw transcoding feature is required and critical for online streamers only and probably it is used by 1% of all users.

All smart TVs (I've got LG, Samsung and Panasonic) can play all formats without any transcoding. Smartphones can do the same. You just need to install and use VLC player.

HW transcoding always fails on my j3455-itx and even with the latest VS update. I have tried all possible extras I found on this forum. :(

SW transcoding works fine. CPU loading depends on original file codec/bitrate and it is between 20% to 95% for 1 stream/file.

Anyway, I disabled hw transcoding in Video Station and Media Server. If I ever need to transcode a video file, I can use offline sw transcoding in Video Station, then I can play transcoded mp4 file at any device and at any time.

On 12/4/2019 at 2:15 AM, IG-88 said:

polanskiman changed the topic a while ago (original war just 1.04b)

Original topic title was:
"Driver extension jun 1.03b/1.04b for DSM6.2.2"

renamed to (the current title):
"Driver extension jun 1.03b/1.04b for DSM6.2.2 for 3615xs / 3617xs / 918+"

1.03b was already there 😉

9 minutes ago, rony said:

I still have to rub my sleepy eyes ^^ - where can I find the download link?

Download link of what? I believe @IG-88 already answered that question:

On 12/4/2019 at 2:15 AM, IG-88 said:

it takes more time then expected (new problems with sas/scsi drivers found) and i don't have much time left atm (kind of end of the year rumble at work)

also installing needed more testing as you can't just copy the new extra.lzma to jun's loader 1.03b (for now it seems best to extract zImage and rd.gz from 6.2.2 DSM *.pat file and copy it together with the extra.lzma to usb)

If you are looking for the loader links then they are all available here:

IG-88 - Thank you again for your efforts - I currently have a DS3515xs VMware VM running version DSM 6.2.2-24922 Update 2 (kernel 3.10.105)  -- can I just swap the extra.lzma with the one in your download and reboot? I can snapshot the 'loader' disk and try if, was just curious since I am already on 24992 build if I just need to change the extra file.

Thanks!

not much you could win by that, maybe a little more ntwork performace by using vmxnet as nic?

but you could also extract that driver, copy it to your system load it with insmod and test it

you would also need to snapshot the other disks as the loader copys the contend (driver) from the extra.lzma to your system partition (lib/modules/update)

I am using HW pass-though for the disk controllers, including now a HP H240  as I  have run out of SATA ports, and it was cheaper than (already had it) and the bios wouldnt detect any of the LSI based controllers - 

I basically have a HP Z220 workstation running 3 VMs, XPenology, Plex (HW Passthough GTX 1060) and a MineOS on one box. ESXi boots from a USB stick, then the datastore is a old/very slow NVMe disk, hosting the 3 VMs including the XPenology loader drive.

I tested it with the extra file replaced, and it never responded to pings, reverted snapshot, and it came back online.

copying out the hpsa.ko and using insmod hpsa.ko does successfully load the module, but I cant see the disks attached or an additional scsi controller is /sys/bus/scsi/devices/

Edited by wickedgtr
added more info -

20 hours ago, wickedgtr said:

copying out the hpsa.ko and using insmod hpsa.ko does successfully load the module, but I cant see the disks attached or an additional scsi controller is /sys/bus/scsi/devices/

hpsa is the driver from the 3.10.105, so its pretty old, likely not supporting your h240

i've tried to compile a recent driver from here

https://sourceforge.net/projects/cciss/files/hpsa-3.0-tarballs/

i did not compile by default so i tricked it to expect redhat server 7.3 that seems to use kernel 3.10.x, it compiled that way

try the attached driver and tell us about what happens when you load it in 6.2.2, 3615

edit: did you set the h240 into HBA mode?

hpsa.ko

Edited by IG-88