XPEnology Community

Driver extension jun 1.03b/1.04b for DSM6.2.2 for 3615xs / 3617xs / 918+

IG-88

• Polanskiman changed the title to Driver extension jun 1.03b/1.04b for DSM6.2.2 for 3615xs / 3617xs / 918+
  • Polanskiman pinned and featured this topic
1 hour ago, Mell1ej said:

ice! Any idea about when you'll be able to release the 3617 version?

i hope next weekend

Also, could you please enable the virtio_* drivers? This would be helpful for promox/kvm etc. users

last thing i remember from last year is that i compiled some of this but people got nowhere with it because the kernel options in the synology kernel where not set (we cant change the kernel), but we might try later again

atm i want to do the drivers for 3615/17, then some newer versions of drivers people need

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

last thing i remember from last year is that i compiled some of this but people got nowhere with it because the kernel options in the synology kernel where not set (we cant change the kernel), but we might try later again

I've been messing around with the sources, and have been able to compile the virtio drivers, and succesfully load them into the kernel.

Everything loaded fine, and no errors where thrown, however, no virtio devices (ethernet, disk) actually work. Is this the same problem you've had before?

Why can't we compile a new zImage? I can't seem to find a tutorial anywhere? I'm guesing a simple "CROSS_COMPILE=... make zImage" won't work?

25 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

i hope next weekend

Good news!

Edited by Mell1ej

Why can't we compile a new zImage? I can't seem to find a tutorial anywhere

synology protects its dsm system, we are using the original dsm files from them so it needs a hack to circumvent this protections

its supposed to still look like its running on a original hardware, so the kernel is still the original and all checks (at least on loading) will signal that the integrity is intact

i guess its much easier to just squeeze around the protection then completely analyze everything and build a whole new system, especially as synology is not releasing the whole source, there is no new kernel source for dsm for about 2 years now

its a hacked appliance, not a linux distribution, if you are looking for something open then open media vault or maybe freenas might be more interesting

Ahh oke, i did'nt know that synology did those checks, thanks for clarifying.

The checks are done in DSM? Then kexec also will also not do much good..?

14 hours ago, IG-88 said:

if you are looking for something open then open media vault or maybe freenas might be more interesting

I've been happely running a 3617 vm in proxmox for quite some time now :)

Edited by Mell1ej

ata_piix is still in the same state as documented in the old 918+ thread

i guess it will present in 3615/17 extra.lzma (work in progress)

[…] Either confirmed by users that it is not working OR not supported for DSM 6.2 (kernel 4.4.59) OR does not load at all. Driver was compiled/tested but removed - if someone finds a way to get it working in some way, tell us here and it will be added

30 minutes ago, swanbird said:

because my nic not intel 

whats your nic, i guess it should work with the new 6.2.2 capable extra.lzma if it did in the old one

Edited by IG-88

6 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

yes

Thanks, but I think I shall rephrase, I checked that there are, but I don't think it will work on anything beyond 6.2? (Tried 6.2.1 and 6.2.2, both got reported OOOFs during dmesg, even tho they are using the same kernel), and to be exact, dmesg is as attached.

image.thumb.png.5bf4b4ebef4adec5ea25730ed580c308.png

Edited by kazuni

i already have driver packages 3615/17 for 6.2.2

the new extra/extra2 for 918+ contains new modules for vmware and the 3615/17 will also have the normal set of drivers

after finding the problem with the 3617 drivers and having a fresh install working i'm now testing the migration's from 6.1.x and 6.2.0

i dont want people to end up with semi-bricks and the need to downgrade

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/1/2019 at 2:14 AM, IG-88 said:

i already have driver packages 3615/17 for 6.2.2

the new extra/extra2 for 918+ contains new modules for vmware and the 3615/17 will also have the normal set of drivers

after finding the problem with the 3617 drivers and having a fresh install working i'm now testing the migration's from 6.1.x and 6.2.0

i dont want people to end up with semi-bricks and the need to downgrade

Would you mind sending me the driver package you have for 3615/17 for 6.2.2. I built a test system on an old Acer Veriton m4620G which I think is using a BCM5761 ethernet chip. It is a fresh install, but I can install 6.1.x and do a migration test.

On 10/6/2019 at 9:07 PM, IG-88 said:

extra.lzma/extra2.lzma for loader 1.04b ds918+ DSM 6.2.2 v0.6_test

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=29784352988385987676

Sorry for my stupid question. How use/handle I this driver extension file after download and unzip?

How to put it it on booting usb stick ? I use Synologolgy/Xpenology a longer time but I have no Idea how and where to add driver extension file.

2 hours ago, sunshine said:

How to put it it on booting usb stick ? I use Synologolgy/Xpenology a longer time but I have no Idea how and where to add driver extension file.

if you don't know then its not for you (at least for now), its just for testing and its a little vague on purpose

you need to read the tutorial for installing dsm 6.1 and the description of the former (safer) extra.lzma's

atm im working on the 3615/17 versions but i already know what i want to do for the next 918+ version

please just wait a while until we got more feedback and better versions, its not ready for normal use yet