XPEnology Community

Copy large files from xpenology to pc

cernu

Hi together,

i have some Problems with my xpenology Installation.

I tried the newest Version from here. All Installation are done and without Problems.

I configure some addons etc. All works, but often if i copy a large file (between 2 - 5 GB) my nas stop working. I am not able to ping. All what i can do, ist reset the pc.

I had the same Problem with a older Version and other pc. So it is a configuration ? :smile:

I have no ideas but if it work by design, i must look for other solution. But i will use the xpenology.

I hope i get some answer and sorry for my english

Greets

If you've already had problem with older DSM, it's not software issue but it's your hardware and if you've also had problem on other pc, it's most likely your Ethernet cable, modem cable, router, modem... so first try different Ethernet cable, and if using Wi-Fi dongle, try connect it directly with Ethernet cable, and if still have problem, then try different modem cable, then different router, then different modem...

I agree with koolvn. It sounds like a hardware problem. I had problems with the wifi throughput/dropped connection on my linksys gigabit router. It turns out that it was overheating and then dropping the wifi connection. I had to open the housing and strap on a fan to cool it. That fixed the dropped wifi signal and even the wired connection throughput increased. Good luck with your troubleshooting!

Theory, cable should not be degraded; however, there is no warranty the connection b/w the head and the cable is as good, so if you constantly download or transfer big files, stream large video files... your cables might go bad due to excessive heat. Similarly, the components inside routers, modems... have their lives and of course some would last longer and that's why they advertise "solid cap, military grade, ... and also commercial vs business..." but, a big BUT, those premium hardware would cost a fortune and don't get me wrong, a lot of people do like to spend money to get the good stuffs but I personally like a simple math that I'd spend 10 or 20 bucks for a router on clearance and can only use it for 2 years or so, instead a very good router cost $100+ that can be used for 5+ years because technology changes so quickly, so after 2 years, I might able to get a new-tech router, thus no matter how good an expensive router is, it cannot compete with new-tech one, and that's why I've bought my 60" 3D Smart LED (thin) TV for 700 bucks instead more than 7 thousands when it first came out. Anyways, it's just my 2-cent :wink:

• 5 months later...

Hi

You could try a test to eliminate your other hardware setup.

Make a direct ethernet connection between the PC and the NAS, set static IP addresses for each and then try the transfer.

Also test by using a mapped drive, upload/download via File Station and FTP.

If these work then you might have a problem with other hardware, eg router or switch or cable.

Good luck

Make sure that your cables are suitable for high speed data transfer.

CAT-5 is rated to 100 Mhz > [don't use any old C5 cables!]

CAT-5e is rated to 350 Mhz > [these will be the minimum you should use]

CAT-6 and CAT6e is rated to 550 Mhz or 1000 Mhz depending on your source

CAT-7 is rated to 700 Mhz or 1000 Mhz

If you look on the sheath of your cables it should state what type of cable it is - if it doesn't assume it's Cat5 and try a known good Cat5e cable instead.

More Info here