XPEnology Community

First home made NAS

skodik

Hi all, 

I would like to build my first NAS, but I want to build it myself. When I came across Xpenelogy I was thrilled so I decided to make a list of items.

My expectations from build:

- backup of computers at home

- backup of photos from phones

- storage of data that are not needed on computers

- media server

My setup: 

Board: 

ASUS PRIME H310I-PLUS R2.0

Processor:

Intel Pentium G5420

RAM:

Patriot Viper Elite gray 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 2666

Disks:

2xSeagate IronWolf 6TB, in future there will be more

Boot, system:

TRANSCEND MTE510T 128GB - since the board has M.2 I would like to use SSD as system partition. 

Did you guys see any possible issues with my build? Do you think it is possible to use M.2 as boot destination? What release of Xpenology would you reccomend? 

Thank you all  :)

1 hour ago, skodik said:

ASUS PRIME H310I-PLUS R2.0

only 4 sata ports and just one pcie slot, on long term you can only have more sata ports OR 10G network

i'd suggest a flex atx board, more pcie extensions, also a board with 6 sata does nor hurt

i use a gigabyte b360m hd3, in term of depth just 1/2 inch deeper then mini-itx, just wider because of more slots

1 hour ago, skodik said:

Intel Pentium G5420

consider a "T" type cpu, max 35W, if the system is on most of the time that saves heat (=noise) and on long term money on the bill for electricity

1 hour ago, skodik said:

Boot, system:

TRANSCEND MTE510T 128GB - since the board has M.2 I would like to use SSD as system partition. 

Did you guys see any possible issues with my build? Do you think it is possible to use M.2 as boot destination?

M.2 is not general supported with xpenology and xpenology/synology only uses usb as loader for the kernel and the system is on all disks as raid1 partition, there is not just one fast boot device like a normal linux/windows (also the system i small, the partition on every disk is just 2GB)

1 hour ago, skodik said:

What release of Xpenology would you reccomend? 

918+ for newer hardware, especially when you want to use hardware transcoding

Edited by IG-88

Thanks for the fast response :) 

You are right about that processor and its power consumption, do you have any tips which to use? 

I have to check the size of board, because I want to fit everything inside Fractal Design Node 304 which is for mini-ITX.  

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, merve04 said:

Did you ever end up building this system? If you did how well does it work? I'm having issues and have a asus h310m-c

Hi, yes I've build that system but with different board and more RAM. At the end I had some issues with xpenology installation so I switched to FreeNas and  Iam quite happy with it :) 

• 3 months later...

Hey a newbie (to here - but over 40 years IT experience!!)

I've had a DS412+ for the last 8 years and finally decided to make the move to a new model. I then discovered Xpenology in the last week and have never looked back... :)

I am running: all brand new hardware, latest gen:

Fractal Node304 case (brilliant ITX case)

Intel i3-9100

AsRock Z390M-ITX motherboard (dual intel nics onboard, 6x sata connectors, M.2 slot)

8Gb RAM

256Gb Adata 256Gb SSD

4 x 8Tb Seagate Ironwolf (from old NAS)

running Jun's Loader 1.04b std version with the std driver extension (hw transcode working, dual nic's working) setup as a 918+

This post from IG-88 is BRILLIANT!! "Driver extension jun 1.03b/1.04b for DSM6.2.2 for 3615xs / 3617xs / 918+"

DSM 6.2.2-24922 Update 5 

The above setup cost around 2/3 of the price here for a real synology DS918+, at significantly higher performance and much more flexibility.

A few comments to hopefully help people here:

1. it is surprisingly easy to initially setup - the turorials on here are fabulous and I am very impressed with the community
  2. Test and play with the setup using an old sata drive to work it out before going to your real disks
  3. You CAN migrate from an old Synology NAS to your new Xpenology !! I could not find anything on this in here so did a full backup first and then put the disks into the new setup in the same drive sequence as on the DS412+. On first boot, with NO change to the grub.cfg I had working, it asked if I wanted to migrate and it did successfully!!  I had everything in an SHR array.
  4. I used the dummy serial number in the grub, but used the ream mac addresses from my old Synology and all the transcoding issues seem to have gone.
  5. It is stupidly fast now compared to my old one, and from the specs I reckon that I would close to double the performance of the 918+ too.

Issues:

I've just plugged the SSD in and DSM can't see it - but it shows up in the sudo fdisk -l as per below

Disk /dev/nvme0n1: 238.5 GiB, 256060514304 bytes, 500118192 sectors
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

I've also plugged in an Intel X520-DA2 2x SFP+ 10Gb network card and it is not being seen at all - neither in ifconfig, or in DSM. I set the grub.cfg file with 4 x nics and added two more macs, mac3 and 4, continuing the sequence from my original macs. 

Can anyone please advise me where i should look or what I may be doing wrong? I don't know Linux well and cannot find any reasonable hwinfo type commands here... 

Edited by edmo
corrections to spelling :)
  • Like 1

I've sorted both the NVMe drive and the 10Gb card.

If you hunt through the forums there is one - NVMe cache support - that details how you can get it going on a DS918+ build.

With the 10Gb card, its nice and simple - you have to disable the onboard Intel cards in BIOS as you cannot recognise more than 2 nics in a 918+ image.

So everything working! :) Now I am putting it all together step by step for myself so I dont forget what i patched (eg the CPU patch so I can see my cpu correctly in info centre)...

Gotta love modding 

Hey Bono2007

No, I don't use the 2 x onboard Gb ethernet at all - I don't see any benefit since I now have an operation 10Gb running.

No, you cannot use the M.2 as part of the volume. It can only be used for SSD cache from my understanding,

I don't have any other devices YET with 10Gb - my nic for my PC was lost in shipment and I am waiting for another one to arrive next week. As soon as it does I will update...

Hey a newbie (to here - but over 40 years IT experience!!)

I've had a DS412+ for the last 8 years and finally decided to make the move to a new model. I then discovered Xpenology in the last week and have never looked back... [emoji4]

Intel i3-9100
AsRock Z390M-ITX motherboard (dual intel nics onboard, 6x sata connectors, M.2 slot)
8Gb RAM
256Gb Adata 256Gb SSD

running Jun's Loader 1.04b std version with the std driver extension (hw transcode working, dual nic's working) setup as a 918+
This post from IG-88 is BRILLIANT!! "Driver extension jun 1.03b/1.04b for DSM6.2.2 for 3615xs / 3617xs / 918+"
DSM 6.2.2-24922 Update 5 

The above setup cost around 2/3 of the price here for a real synology DS918+, at significantly higher performance and much more flexibility.

A few comments to hopefully help people here:
  1. it is surprisingly easy to initially setup - the turorials on here are fabulous and I am very impressed with the community
  2. Test and play with the setup using an old sata drive to work it out before going to your real disks
  3. You CAN migrate from an old Synology NAS to your new Xpenology !! I could not find anything on this in here so did a full backup first and then put the disks into the new setup in the same drive sequence as on the DS412+. On first boot, with NO change to the grub.cfg I had working, it asked if I wanted to migrate and it did successfully!!  I had everything in an SHR array.
  4. I used the dummy serial number in the grub, but used the ream mac addresses from my old Synology and all the transcoding issues seem to have gone.
  5. It is stupidly fast now compared to my old one, and from the specs I reckon that I would close to double the performance of the 918+ too.

Issues:
I've just plugged the SSD in and DSM can't see it - but it shows up in the sudo fdisk -l as per below

Disk /dev/nvme0n1: 238.5 GiB, 256060514304 bytes, 500118192 sectors
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

I've also plugged in an Intel X520-DA2 2x SFP+ 10Gb network card and it is not being seen at all - neither in ifconfig, or in DSM. I set the grub.cfg file with 4 x nics and added two more macs, mac3 and 4, continuing the sequence from my original macs. 

Can anyone please advise me where i should look or what I may be doing wrong? I don't know Linux well and cannot find any reasonable hwinfo type commands here... 

If I remember it correctly then there is a hack to modify some libraries so any NVME will be recognised and shown by DSM and not only a few types.
I sadly do not have the exact url to this patch but you can read from here as a first starting point: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/21663-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm622-for-3615xs-3617xs-918/page/9/?tab=comments#comment-130074

Please search for the term "libNVMEpatch" in the forum and I am sure that you will find some info s regarding NVMEs and DSM. :-)

If I remember it correctly then there is a hack to modify some libraries so any NVME will be recognised and shown by DSM and not only a few types.
I sadly do not have the exact url to this patch but you can read from here as a first starting point: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/21663-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm622-for-3615xs-3617xs-918/page/9/?tab=comments#comment-130074

Please search for the term "libNVMEpatch" in the forum and I am sure that you will find some info s regarding NVMEs and DSM. icon_e_smile.gif.bb4a27290a182ac60e4a070b209c5c5e.gif
I have found the url to the thread: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13342-nvme-cache-support/page/3/

There you find hopefully useful information regarding NVMEs.

Balrog,

Yes it took a bit of searching but finally found it. Gave me a heart attack on reboot when the machine would not come up a couple of times - had to choose the reinstall option from Jun's boot menu and hope that it worked!! It actually did, and everything seems to work find now...

Thanks for your assistance - I now have absolutely every feature working and very happy with it :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2020 at 8:17 AM, edmo said:

Intel i3-9100

8Gb RAM

256Gb Adata 256Gb SSD

Hi edmo, I like your setup, and am kind of thinking about getting a similar gear. Would you mind sharing how much it consumes power under idle vs typical use? Thanks.

11 hours ago, edmo said:

Hi

It runs at 59W typical use, including an Intel X520 10Gb card now...

And that is with standard 9100 or 9100T?

Also you mentioned hw transcoding, above. Do you refer to Plex transcoding? If so, I understand you have Plex pass subscription and you were successful in activating hw transcoding, right? 

Were there any issues with this out of the box? If so, what was the solution?

This is with a standard 9100. Yes, I am a Plex pass subscription and hw transcoding is active.

Plenty of issues in building lol, but once I found the brilliant post "Driver extension jun 1.03b/1.04b for DSM6.2.2 for 3615xs / 3617xs / 918+" and chose the std files to add in everything just worked!

Only things to patch afterwards was the cpu idnetification, and getting the nvme cache drive running.

When I get some time I want to put a step by step guide for those of us not knowledgable on Linux to make things easier!