XPEnology Community

XPenology not connecting network after update

Subtixx

you don't write what bootloader and image type and if you use any additions like a extra.lzma or added hardware

the internal nic is a HPE 332i a Broadcom BCM57xx, will need the driver tg3, that's not a default driver of synology

as documented you loose additional drivers, depending on image and loader

i'd assume in your case that its a 3615/17 image as the tg3 is part of 1.04b integrated extra.lzma

you can wait a few days, i'm doing 918+ drivers atm (mostly finished, just some documentation needed) but will work on the other two after this

depending on the hardware you might migrate to the 918+ image (you can check the update reports section for your hardware, use olegins extra.lzma if jun's default in 1.04b does not work for you)

much more complicated is a downgrade, but also possible (faq section, nice if you want to learn about some things about dsm)

a not so well known/used option is to boot from a external media or additional disk into open media vault (also a nas distribution, but completely based of open source), it can automatically use the software raid of synology (witch is just the normal linux raid and lvm) and give you network access to it with a nice gui, it has plugins too, it can stay as temporary solution until you fix the dsm issue (its my tested plan when things with dsm go south, dsm its still a hacked appliance and synology does not like the freeloaders and does things to keep them off, usually with new dsm major versions)

• Like 2

where did you get a 1.04b for 3617?

the "offiicial" thread is still on 1.03b for 3515/17

(i did not check if there is something newer in the download links, i will check later when testing extra.lzma for 6.2.2 on 3615/17)

if you dont want to do crazy stunts like downgrade and dont want to change to 918+ then just wait until the weekend, i guess until then i will have tested if everything works as expected for 3615/17 too)

Edited by IG-88
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi. I used Jun's loader 1.03b and DSM_DS3615xs_25426 to upgrade to 5556. 

Everything went fine using Fixsynoboot.sh. 

But when rebooting it was dead in the water. I have now tried to do a new image/loader and can see the system but every time I reboot its, dead.

By dead I mean the network does not work. No lights nothing. But when I restart  the NIC is just green.

I managed to backup everything using UBUNTU live, cleaned my HDD, new loader and eventually i came in to setup. WOW! Well no wow. No I'm back to square one again. the network is dead. What is happening? What is bricked? I don't understand. Help?

Hi. I used Jun's loader 1.03b and DSM_DS3615xs_25426 to upgrade to 5556. 

Everything went fine using Fixsynoboot.sh. 

But when rebooting it was dead in the water. I have now tried to do a new image/loader and can see the system but every time I reboot its, dead.

By dead I mean the network does not work. No lights nothing. But when I restart  the NIC is just green.

I managed to backup everything using UBUNTU live, cleaned my HDD, new loader and eventually i came in to setup. WOW! Well no wow. No I'm back to square one again. the network is dead. What is happening? What is bricked? I don't understand. Help?

• 1 month later...

I have a similar issue. I have been running DS3615xs on the 1.03b loader for a couple of years. Recently I was having some issues updating DSM and some packages and ended up finding out that my usb stick had some issues. So I made a new boot usb and was able to boot fine and install the latest DSM update.

However when the upgrade process restarted the machine, I encountered the same issue as described, no network. I then made another usb boot device using a fresh copy of synoboot.img (after having edited the grub.cfg with my mac/pid,uid values). When booting using the fresh image,  DSM gets an ip, but synology assistant shows the status as "Recoverable." 

When I click the button to recover the array, my device reboots and once again has no network. I can't find any way out of this recoverable loop, nor have I found any way to get access to the system while in the recoverable status.

Someone mentioned disconnectinng the disk array and installing a fresh copy of DSM on a blank drive and then connecting your array back. Is that the best way to go about getting back online?

• 10 months later...
On 6/13/2021 at 7:21 AM, a575606 said:

Someone mentioned disconnectinng the disk array and installing a fresh copy of DSM on a blank drive and then connecting your array back. Is that the best way to go about getting back online?

Did you figure this out? I often have no connection at boot. There's a ping for 3 seconds than ALL 3 types of NICs are killed. Didn't even update. Sometimes it works after hard reset (the only to reset is power off, causing some BTRFS corruptions), and then i doesn't for days.