XPEnology Community

Should Amazon Glacier Backup work?

Agarwal

Hi,

I just installed DSM 5.0 4493 Update 3 to try it out (I've previously been using Unraid, then a custom-made parity-protection kernel driver I made for the last few years); so far so good, I like it a lot, it seems to be what a good NAS should be.

I've been trying to try Amazon Glacier for a while, and was happy to find that it's supported OOTB on DSM. The problem is that when I run the "Create" Glacier Backup wizard, when I get to the last step ("Confirm settings") and click Apply, nothing happens (I can see something, probably a waiting icon or something similar, flashing for like 1/10 of a second, and that's it).

Should Amazon Glacier work on a custom Synology DSM 5.0 or does it only work on a stock Synology?

Thanks!

This seems to be the culprit:

Jul 28 15:57:51 wegel-nas glacier.cgi: glacier_utility.c:21 SLIBSystemFirstVenderMacAddrGet() failed, synoerr=[0x4000]
Jul 28 15:57:51 wegel-nas glacier.cgi: glacier.cpp:2510 GlacierCreateHostMac() failed.
Jul 28 15:58:28 wegel-nas glacier.cgi: glacier_is_any_lines_in_file.c:20 open(/tmp/backup/GlacierRetrieveTaskJobs) failed!!
Jul 28 15:58:28 wegel-nas glacier.cgi: glacier_is_any_lines_in_file.c:20 open(/tmp/backup/GlacierDownloadDBJobs.9741) failed!!

Seems like something related to the Mac Address; I'm using nanoboot and I remember reading that you can change the mac address using it. Any ideas?

Just to make things clear, there's already the true mac address of the network card in Info when I check it.

Nobody ever tried Glacier before? I just want to know if it *should* work, eg, if anyone got it working before.

prob restricted to REAL Synology MAC addresses.

should be easy to get around tho. Most MAC addresses are listed first few digits anyways

look here reveals

http://standards.ieee.org/develop/regauth/oui/public.html

Here are the results of your search through the public section of the IEEE Standards MA-L database report for synology:

00-11-32   (hex)		Synology Incorporated
 001132     (base 16)		Synology Incorporated
 				6F-2, No.106, Chang An W. Rd.,
			Taipei  103
			TAIWAN, PROVINCE OF CHINA

so make one up starting with 00-11-32 and you should be good (pick a high number to avoid conflicts with existing users)

eg

00-11-32-FF-FF-FF

• 3 weeks later...

Just get the exact same message

Aug 21 00:55:33 DiskStation glacier.cgi: glacier_utility.c:21 SLIBSystemFirstVenderMacAddrGet() failed, synoerr=[0x4000]
Aug 21 00:55:33 DiskStation glacier.cgi: glacier.cpp:2510 GlacierCreateHostMac() failed.                                         
Aug 21 00:55:45 DiskStation glacier.cgi: glacier_utility.c:21 SLIBSystemFirstVenderMacAddrGet() failed, synoerr=[0x4000]         
Aug 21 00:55:45 DiskStation glacier.cgi: glacier.cpp:2510 GlacierCreateHostMac() failed.                                         
Aug 21 00:55:45 DiskStation glacier.cgi: glacier_utility.c:21 SLIBSystemFirstVenderMacAddrGet() failed, synoerr=[0x4000]         
Aug 21 00:55:45 DiskStation glacier.cgi: glacier.cpp:2510 GlacierCreateHostMac() failed.                                         
Aug 21 00:55:46 DiskStation glacier.cgi: glacier_utility.c:21 SLIBSystemFirstVenderMacAddrGet() failed, synoerr=[0x4000]
Aug 21 00:55:46 DiskStation glacier.cgi: glacier.cpp:2510 GlacierCreateHostMac() failed.

i tried to set the mac adresse on syslinux.cfg

LABEL Synology DSM 5.0
 MENU LABEL Synology DSM 5.0
 kernel /zImage ihd_num=0 netif_num=4 syno_hw_version=DS3612xs sn=B3J4N09874 mac1=000C2927XXXX vid=0x0EA0 pid=0x2168 loglevel=0 vga=0x305 rmmod=ata_piix

Can anyone have the solution ?

thanks

PS : XXXX to hide my mac

• 2 months later...

Hello.

Same here, I even tried to put the MAC of my dead 209+ with no luck.

I'm using XPEnology on VirtualBox, the good mac is shown in ifconfig -a.

EDIT:

There files:

ls -l /proc/sys/kernel/syno_mac_address*

are empty. Maybe some tools uses sysctl to check the MAC, and fail because of this. Can someone with a working Synology NAS can check?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, this was working perfectly on a 4.3 install and I was quite happy with it. DSM Glacier app was actually the whole reason I chose to use DSM on my n54l.

I'd be very much interested if anyone got it working!

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

OK, so I saw this post, which seemed to mention it should be working with nanoboot given a change of boot configuration. And I can confirm that after adding "mac1=1234567890AB" (change according to your real mac, obviously) to my boot options in /boot/menu-nano.lst, it seems to work beautifully.

Just in case it's still useful to a few of you.

• 1 month later...
OK, so I saw this post, which seemed to mention it should be working with nanoboot given a change of boot configuration. And I can confirm that after adding "mac1=1234567890AB" (change according to your real mac, obviously) to my boot options in /boot/menu-nano.lst, it seems to work beautifully.

Just in case it's still useful to a few of you.

Thank you Sir.

Mine work also with mac1=%MY REAL MAC FROM HP%

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

I have tried changing mac and serial. Using XPEnoboot 5.1-5022.3 and DSM 5.1-5022 Update 4.

Can't get glacier backup to work. Got the same error in /var/log/messages. "GlacierCreateHostMac() failed." etc..

Anyone know how to make it work ?

Exact same problem here, anyone with a solution?

• 9 months later...

This stuff works well with last DSM. Just add mac1=YOURMACADRESS after your serial number (sn=XXXXXXXXXX) in the syslinux.cfg and Glacier will work again !!

Your mac adress must be written without any - or : , just write it.

This must be something like this.

### are personnal data so replace by yours.

LABEL xpenology
      MENU LABEL XPEnology DSM 5.2-5565
      KERNEL /zImage
      APPEND root=/dev/md0 ihd_num=0 netif_num=4 syno_hw_version=DS3615xs sn=########## mac1=######## vid=0x0EA0 pid=0x2168 loglevel=0 vga=0x305

LABEL debug
      MENU LABEL XPEnology DSM 5.2-5565 Debug
      KERNEL /zImage
      APPEND root=/dev/md0 ihd_num=0 netif_num=4 syno_hw_version=DS3615xs sn=########## vid=0x0EA0 pid=0x2168 loglevel=0 vga=0x305 debug=1

LABEL install
      MENU LABEL XPEnology DSM 5.2-5565 Install/Upgrade
      KERNEL /zImage
      APPEND root=/dev/md0 ihd_num=0 netif_num=4 syno_hw_version=DS3615xs sn=########## vid=0x0EA0 pid=0x2168 loglevel=0 vga=0x305 upgrade=5.2-5565

Thank you guys !

• Like 1