XPEnology Community

Can't access NAS through PIA VPN

Shortybear

Question

Hi

I have XPEnology DSM 5.2-5967 on my mini ITX build, and have been running for some time now.

Resently a bought openvpn at PIA and the server is now running the VPN connection, exept that i can't connect the server outside my home (externally).

I have an static IP address and a DDNS running on the NAS-server, but none of them is working.

If i disable the VPN everything is working, but that's not what i want to do.

My router is the build-in from my ISP (Icotera i5800) so i doesn't support VPN or DDNS of any sort.

Anyone with a solution?

I can do a little bit of PuttY on my NAS, if it is nessesary (money see, monkey do concept).

Thanks

\Shortybear

7 answers to this question

You installed an OpenVPN profile on your Xpenology? That means that DSM establishs a secure connection to the service provider for (mostly) anonymous traffic. But this has nothing to do with a VPN connection from the internet to your Nas. If you want to establish an encrypted connection from the internet to your Nas you’ll have to 

1) run the VPN server package on your Nas or

2) see if your router supports any form of VPN

Afaik PIA is not a point to point VPN.

Hi Jensmander

Rephrased:

I want to connect to my NAS server from any location and from different units as i've done for some time, but since i got the VPN service up and running from PIA on my NAS, i'm not able to connect to my NAS anymore from external networks.

My router is the build-in from my ISP (Icotera i5800) so i doesn't support VPN or DDNS of any sort.

I can use the example 1 you mentioned for it to work (not tested), but it's not the solution i was hoping for.

\SB

As mentioned: PIA is a VPN system for privacy, like dozens of others. You could use a free Ddns on your router (if supported), install the VPN server package and do the port forwarding on your router for the appropriate ports on the Nas (NAT). But you can’t run a VPN connection/profile on your Nas AND the VPN server package simultaneously. PIA VPN makes more sense on a regular PC or smartphone for internet privacy.

• Thanks 1

Depends on what your goal is. Do you want a simple solution for a secure connection: internet -> your nas? Then you can install and use the VPN Server on DSM. But this requires DDNS and port forwarding (NAT) from your router to your Nas. Your router is capable to port forward, found here:

https://portforward.com/icotera/i5800/

(skip to step 2)

But I couldn’t find anything about DYNDNS. This leaves you with 3 options:

1) request a static ip from your provider

2) try to setup DDNS in DSM

3) you could use a Docker image, Raspberry or VM with „SoftEther VPN“ which is a free and powerful VPN with an integrated DYNDNS

Or 4): get rid of your ISP‘s router and use your own hardware (if this is supported by your ISP)

I recently had the same problem. Most VPNs don't allow port forwarding for security reasons, so even if you set up ddns and port forwarding on your router that won't help you. PIA does allow port forwarding, but only for one port and you have to manually enable it and configure the port every time you connect to the vpn. You`ll need to run a script on your device for that if you can't use their app. Here is the thread that's discussing this: https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/forum/discussion/3359/port-forwarding-without-application-pia-script-advanced-users/p2

As I only need VP for my jdownloader on the NAS I bought a second NIC and configured the standart NIC as VPN passthrough and the other NIC to go through the VPN on my router. Then I setup the DDNS on the NAS an forced the JDownloader via proxy to only use the second NIC. It's not a pretty solution, but it seems to work for now.