XPEnology Community

Virtualbox and phpVirtualbox on XPEnology

seba

can i get some help with building a VM? i went through the virtual box wizard and created a VM. How is everyone loading the OS on this thread? Do you all have physical cd-rom drives on your NAS? i tired to browse to a ISO that i have on my NAS and i cant browse to it. When i go into VM settings - storage - Controller:SATA - CD\DVD Drive - Choose virtual optical disk drive, and all i see is in the attached.

thanks for the help

Capture1.PNG.59076bf8ef8dac676eb5aea44e857bb5.PNG

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

anyone know how to set remote display authentication for the virtual machine?

When I set the authentication method to "External", I am not able to connect to the virtual machine.

I cannot only access to the machine by setting "None"

Is there anyway to solve it?

thanks

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi all

is there are any news for virtualbox in DSM 6 or something planned `?

maybe as docker ? or Ubuntu as docker ? I need virtualbox and Windows VM only for recording internet radio streams

or is there en other possibilitis to record internet radio streams in Audio station this is not possible

I have 3 Servers with xpenology :eek:

I love xpenology and say to all thank you for the great work.

is it possible that i can spent some money for the developer ??

dsm(Xpenology) is the best os for servers!

thank you for your feedback

BR

Michael

@dMajo

thank you for your help.

Think we misunderstand us or I was not clear enough.

I run Virtualbox 4.3.36 on my Asustor NAS and installed xpenology DS 5.2-5967, which is working perfectly on it.

Now I search the Guest Additions which I can upload to the xpenology DiskStation.

The goal is to share the cloudstation Folder on a Asustor Volume.

It means I want mount a Asustor folder in to the Diskstation so that Diskstation thinks it's directly on the DiskStation Fielesystem, but the truth is that it's the mounted folder from the Asustor NAs Server.

Cloudstaion is perfect and unfortunately no other NAS System offers a Linux client to do realtime sync.

Best Theo

I think you need to download the guest additions from the VB official site.

Perhaps sources and you will need to build them. For linux system on which DSM is based over.

This thread discusses the VB installation under DSM not the opposite. You can try other xpenology forums where the argument is running xpenology in a VM. Perhaps there they have already compiled guest additions.

No real reason for VirtualBox when Synology is providing a QEMU/KVM alternative for DSM 6 called "Virtual DSM Manager".

Well not really, Virtual DSM Manager only allows you to run additional DSM instances from my understanding? Virtualbox allows you to run any supported guest OS whereas Docker's approach, feature-set and use-cases are entirely different.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all

There is a package avilable for DSM 6.1.

http://spk.diablos-netzwerk.de/

BR

Michael

VirtualBox

Release: Beta

Beschreibung:

VirtualBox ist ein mächtiges x86 und AMD64/Intel64 Virtualisierungs-Programm für Unternehmen als auch für Heimanwender. Als Frontend wird phpVirtualBox benutzt, wenn die Authentifizierung für phpvirtualbox benutzt wird, ist der standart Login admin/admin.

Package: virtualbox

Version: 5.0.36-114008-1

Minimum DSM verison: 6.1-15047

Maintainer: seba/dodo-dk/DI4bI0

Distributor: Diablos-Netzwerk

Arch: cedarview bromolow broadwell grantley avoton braswell kvmx64

size: 1.20 MB

md5: e1d088f394d3a2bbd8b82020ff7b3384

Signed: Yes

Downloads: 17984

Changelog:

Version: 5.0.36-114008-1

Changes made by DI4bI0

1. Updated VirtualBox to version 5.0.36 r114008

2. Updated Kernel Modules (3.10.102) DSM 6.1 to version 5.0.36 r114008

2.1 cedarview version 5.0.36 r114008

2.2 bromolow version 5.0.36 r114008

2.3 avoton version 5.0.36 r114008

2.4 braswell version 5.0.36 r114008

2.5 grantley version 5.0.36 r114008

2.6 broadwell version 5.0.36 r114008

2.7 kvm64 (VirtualDSM) version 5.0.36 r114008

Add http://spk.diablos-netzwerk.de/ to your package repositiry

Before you can install virtualbox you have to install webstation with the following settings:

1) install Webstation

2) Install PHP 5.6

Config in Webstation :

General settings for Webstation

HTTP Backend server Nginx

PHP 5.6

PHP Settings

Enable PHP Cache

Mark all Extensions

SAVE

Now you can Install Virtualbox

This latest beta version has been working fine for me on my HP Gen 8 running Jun's 1.02 Alpha loader and 6.1 Update 1.

I did notice it didn't automatically shut down the guest VM when I rebooted DSM, but I'm not sure if that has ever worked.

This latest beta version has been working fine for me on my HP Gen 8 running Jun's 1.02 Alpha loader and 6.1 Update 1.

I did notice it didn't automatically shut down the guest VM when I rebooted DSM, but I'm not sure if that has ever worked.

Do you have the Open-VM-tools installed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Working, surprisingly well...

I'm just testing this on my Test Server (with update to 6.1 and new 1.02 Alpha loader) but bloody hell, it works!

When the new loader comes out of Alpha, I'll be running this on my main NAS..

Active Directory; coming up! :grin:

Many thanks!

#H

• 2 weeks later...

I keep loosing my synology network access when I start at VM. I can not browse to the GUI or ssh into the synology. What is weird is if I'm already ssh into the synology the connection doesn't drop and I can ping it. All my docker containers are still online too. Any ideas. I have the VM in bridge mode.

I keep loosing my synology network access when I start at VM. I can not browse to the GUI or ssh into the synology. What is weird is if I'm already ssh into the synology the connection doesn't drop and I can ping it. All my docker containers are still online too. Any ideas. I have the VM in bridge mode.

I had the same, problem with bonded cards resolved, partially by the latest version of virtualbox, partially by the changes on VM. I have to setup Intel Pro/1000 MT server network on each VM

9e08fa2f2753c465028bb89390639d6b.jpg