XPEnology Community

Virtualbox and phpVirtualbox on XPEnology

seba

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Seba. Its working on 6.2.2 24922 on 3615xs...(i also tested on 3617xs, it installed but link throwing 403 error as if DSM is blocking it)

tested both DSMs in ESXI inside vmware workstation on windows 7 PC(..crazy)...upgraded from 6.2.1 23824

Hope it helps someone.

..patiently waiting for seba's Virtualbox 6 (for nested virtualization so i can install ESXI on virtual box itself:)  )

1886448092_6.2.224922working3615.thumb.JPG.4874942218681c1cdc32fba1f00767f6.JPG

454643322_6.2.123824update6working3615.thumb.JPG.820ca161f4b70a931b414c03fbff1be0.JPG

Edited by pacemaker72

On 5/18/2019 at 7:26 PM, pacemaker72 said:

Thanks Seba. Its working on 6.2.2 24922 on 3615xs...(i also tested on 3617xs, it installed but link throwing 403 error as if DSM is blocking it)

tested both DSMs in ESXI inside vmware workstation on windows 7 PC(..crazy)...upgraded from 6.2.1 23824

Hope it helps someone.

..patiently waiting for seba's Virtualbox 6 (for nested virtualization so i can install ESXI on virtual box itself:)  )

1886448092_6.2.224922working3615.thumb.JPG.4874942218681c1cdc32fba1f00767f6.JPG

454643322_6.2.123824update6working3615.thumb.JPG.820ca161f4b70a931b414c03fbff1be0.JPG

I confirm that this version works perfectly in the new DSM version 6.2.2-24922

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, jayal1972 said:

Make sure DSM is able to resolve: download.virtualbox.org and virtualbox.org. (Some packages are downloaded from there)

There was a package that was downloading few files from internet, but they are not created by me.

On 3/31/2019 at 6:33 AM, Webster said:

Hi Seba,

Thank you for your great works. You help me a lots to run vm on dsm6.2

One more question. It is possible to run or import vbox guest image file on /volume2/

I try to mount the path to volume2 but unsuccess.

Webster

If you refer about not being able to select anything outside volume1 in file browser then yes. You need to edit file config.php in webstations folder there look for line

var $browserRestrictFolders = array('/volume1');

you can modify it to suite your needs.

Also Virtualbox 6.0.8 is out you can find it on github where I'm  posting new versions.

On 6/4/2019 at 8:25 PM, seba said:

There was a package that was downloading few files from internet, but they are not created by me.

If you refer about not being able to select anything outside volume1 in file browser then yes. You need to edit file config.php in webstations folder there look for line

var $browserRestrictFolders = array('/volume1');

you can modify it to suite your needs.

Also Virtualbox 6.0.8 is out you can find it on github where I'm  posting new versions.

The new version 6.0.8 on DSM 6.2.2-24922 (3615xs) over HP Microserver N54L works perfectly, included the USB assignation to the virtual computers.

Thank you Seba!

Good job!

On 6/4/2019 at 2:25 PM, seba said:

Thanks Seba. 6.0.8 works good on DSM 6.2.1-23824 Update 6- 3615xs (AMD).

I thought i would see the new nested virtualization option but its not there (Guess DSM passthrough problem..i dont know)

Thanks again

19 hours ago, pacemaker72 said:

Thanks Seba. 6.0.8 works good on DSM 6.2.1-23824 Update 6- 3615xs (AMD).

I thought i would see the new nested virtualization option but its not there (Guess DSM passthrough problem..i dont know)

Thanks again

What is possible in GUI depends on good folks maintaining phpVirtualBox but you can always use shell and VBoxManage. For nested options as doc states here

you would run following as root

/opt/VirtualBox/VBoxManage modifyvm "My VM Name" --nested-hw-virt on

On 6/8/2019 at 11:57 AM, seba said:

What is possible in GUI depends on good folks maintaining phpVirtualBox but you can always use shell and VBoxManage. For nested options as doc states here

you would run following as root

/opt/VirtualBox/VBoxManage modifyvm "My VM Name" --nested-hw-virt on

Thanks Seba for follow up. i tried above without success. when i start ESXI in virtualbox the error was "this host does not support "AMD RVI" hardware assisted MMU virtualization."

Anyway this is not very important to me so i gave up.

Otherwise virtualbox is working well for other VMs

On 6/13/2019 at 8:14 PM, pacemaker72 said:

Thanks Seba for follow up. i tried above without success. when i start ESXI in virtualbox the error was "this host does not support "AMD RVI" hardware assisted MMU virtualization."

Anyway this is not very important to me so i gave up.

Otherwise virtualbox is working well for other VMs

Did you try that in some linux distro on same hardware? Quick googling led me to this

1. Please reboot the system and then press [Delete] to enter the BIOS setup.

2. BIOS > Advanced > CPU Configuration > SVM Mode -> set enabled

3. BIOS > Advanced > North Bridge Configuration > IOMMU -> set enabled.

If it is working on same hardware under linux distro it should work here to.

Did you try that in some linux distro on same hardware? Quick googling led me to this
1. Please reboot the system and then press [Delete] to enter the BIOS setup.
2. BIOS > Advanced > CPU Configuration > SVM Mode -> set enabled
3. BIOS > Advanced > North Bridge Configuration > IOMMU -> set enabled.
If it is working on same hardware under linux distro it should work here to.

Yea i saw those posts too...
I only tried on synology DSM. Also those two options are set to ON from the beginning because virtualbox itself needs those to work.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2019 at 3:26 PM, jarugut said:

The new version 6.0.8 on DSM 6.2.2-24922 (3615xs) over HP Microserver N54L works perfectly, included the USB assignation to the virtual computers.

Thank you Seba!

Good job!

Which architecture did you install?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

dsm 6.1.7 here. I installed virtualbox version posted here and seems to work, at least it starts without any error.

I am trying to set up a virtual machine with windows 7 32bit started, because it is very light.

I am using the same iso used to install in dsm virtual machine manager and it works fine.

But in virtualbox I can't even see the loading of virtual cd rom and windows installer setup. What am I doing wrong?

Tryed every possible changing in options, cpu, disk controller, video, ecc.....everything.....but I cannot see loading of windows virtual cd......

any idea guys? the system hangs on windows logo, but not going on at all.

the system is an asrock j3710 with 8gb ram so it should work fine, as it does with syno virtual machine manager

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using  the bromolow version 6.0.8 package on DSM 6.2.2-24922, it works but i've got the following problem:

When I want to create a host-only network in preferences phpVirtualbox locks and even DSM is unreachable. It somehow seems to disrupt the networking.

After a reboot DSM and phpVirtualbox are reachable again and no host-only network is created. I'm not sure in what log file to look for problems.

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, kretzu77 said:

I can't remotely access the virtual machine:

The address for remote connection is 127.0.0.1:9000 and it is not reachable, of course.

There is no place like 127.0.0.1 ...

Then, to be able to access it you must:

1 - Change IP

2 - Add a route to the new IP from "the outside".

I don't now how to change it in php virtualbox :(

In the old days, the was the same with dsm and i just did the port fw in router for 9000.

In dsm web server maybe? There is no entry in web server - virtual host.

Or in virtual box host network options?

When I said outside I ment ouside dsm but in the same LAN.

Edited by kretzu77

@kretzu77 How do you supply your VMhost and your virtual Ubuntu with IP? Static or DHCP?

127.0.0.1 is the "local loopback" adress pointing your local virtual host to itself,

for any other clients to be able to reach it they will need to address the "external" IP (real IP) of the VM host,

and the VMhost must know how to forward the request to your virtual Ubuntu.

Edit:

Disclaimer: I do not use Virtualbox (or know it that well), but I do know a few thing's about IP networking ;-)

Edited by bearcat