XPEnology Community

2019 Hardware to build own XPEnology

caaai84

Hello,

I want to build my own NAS with XPEnology on it. My questions is about Hardware recommendation with 2019 hardware in the market. I have read the recommended hardware page but most of the hardware is no longer available, outdated whose or prices are high right now. Can someone help me to make a hardware list with hardware from 2019/18. Most important information for me is de Motherboard and the CPU.

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

beside the time needed to maintain such list(s) there is the fact that people have very different needs and expectations about a nas (server), so there is no best choice or one fits all, look at the spectrum what synology or qnap offering they go from 2 drive to 12+ for "home use"

some are extremely eager to user hardware transcoding (cpu choice is important here) other want a beefy docker host (RAM, cpu cores) other just want to store a huge mount of data and need a high sata port count (just for hording i guess)

also as xpenology is linked to what synology image can be used (aka is hacked) it depends (atm 3615xs, 3517xs, 918+)

synology delivers a small spectrum o drivers in every image (drivers needed for that specific hardware + drivers for "official" extensions), if you want to use more drivers you depend on some one to build them (extra.lzma), to keep hassle free you might consider only using hardware that work ootb with just the synology drivers (limiting the options, might be more expensive) - to do this needs some good knowledge about hardware, dsm and linux  - so it can take years ;-)

keep in mind xpenology is not a normal linux it's a hacked appliance, you buy the comfort with some need to know things and uncertainties

if you want a more open approach without the driver limits look out for open media vault

Edited by IG-88
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/13/2019 at 5:55 AM, caaai84 said:

Hello,

I want to build my own NAS with XPEnology on it. My questions is about Hardware recommendation with 2019 hardware in the market. I have read the recommended hardware page but most of the hardware is no longer available, outdated whose or prices are high right now. Can someone help me to make a hardware list with hardware from 2019/18. Most important information for me is de Motherboard and the CPU.

Thank you!

We cant read your mind - we need to know what you are exactly looking for.

Like - crazy CPU with 4 PCI-E ports that rips everything to shreads or tiny PC on an ITX board that sits in the background and does its own thing.

Here is for example my build this year:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/BDHyWb

Some of the parts I had, some I didnt (bought new CPU + Motherboard + 2 SSDs).

14 hours ago, bearcat said:

@test4321 Any special reason why you picked a variation of HDD's ?

BTW: is the Intel I219-V supported by XPE?

Nope, just whatever the 8TB drives were cheaper - I bought. I was replacing 4TB Seagates one by one and whenever I found a deal I bought a drive.

As for the NIC I think one of them doesnt work because it's not supported.

I really don't care about that because I got Brocade 1020 in there so I'm mainly using that for file transfers.

• Thanks 1

Intel CPU is generally more compatible than AMD.  Anything current runs fine - i.e. 64-bit, Haswell or later.

Transcoding is problematic no matter what you select, but any modern Intel processor with iGPU is technically capable.

I haven't heard of any Intel embedded (chipset) SATA controller that did not work, ever.  The DSM/Linux driver for SATA is generic and not tied to chipset.

NVMe support is gimped by Synology but we have a patch now that fixes it if you must run NVMe drives.  Or you can always virtualize and solve the problem that way.

The only other consideration is the network card.  The latest embedded Intel NICs are not always supported.  So plan on a $20 PCIe Intel CT card and/or a 10Gbe card like Mellanox or Intel X557 and you'll be ready to go.

See the hardware support guides in my signature for supporting information (or just go to the guide section of the forum).

On 12/26/2019 at 7:59 AM, flyride said:

I haven't heard of any Intel embedded (chipset) SATA controller that did not work, ever.  The DSM/Linux driver for SATA is generic and not tied to chipset.

i can "offer" a HP DC7600 MT, bios does not offer AHCI mode and just SATA cant be used with xpe 6.2 (i still use it for testing with a 2port jmicron sata controlles that is ahci compatible)

in some other cases the bios options to switch to ahci mode can be a little cryptic (had two cases like this)

there are some rare cases where you cant switch to ahci even when the chipset does support it

On 12/25/2019 at 4:15 PM, bearcat said:

BTW: is the Intel I219-V supported by XPE?

with the new extra.lzma for 1.03b and DSM 6.2.2 it should work (again) as it uses the latest intel drivers

1.04b for 918+ will get the same drivers soon if nothing special pops up in the process

• Like 1