XPEnology Community

XPEnology + Flexraid possible?

xylitolx

Hello

I’m new to NAS and ESXi. I have the following ideas and preferences but don’t know whether it is feasible or not. Please kindly let me know any alternatives or suggestion.

I want to buy a HP ProLiant G7 N54L MicroServer Server to run ESXi + XPEnology + windows (7/8/WHS). However, I don’t want to use SHR as raid. I would rather like to use flexraid running in Windows to provide parity for below benefits:

1) In case number of damage drives > parity, the loss only limited to the damaged drives.

2) add drives through USB as pooling in flexraid but not XPEnology

My query is that this idea feasible? Whether the pooling created by flexraid could be passed to XPEnology? If it possible to add more drives to flexraid later to increase the volume and reflected in XPEnology?

I don't see how you'd make this work. DSM needs it's own volume, which it creates. Flexraid is just parity on top of a filesystem. They are like polar opposites in how they work. Combining them somehow removes the point of flexraid.

I don't see how you'd make this work. DSM needs it's own volume, which it creates. Flexraid is just parity on top of a filesystem. They are like polar opposites in how they work. Combining them somehow removes the point of flexraid.

Thank you for your reply.

I just want to combine the merit of

1) flexraid/unraid

i) reduce chance of total data loss;

ii) multiple parity (flexraid);

ii) incremental volume increase;

iv) add drive of any form, especially want to add drives via eSATA with HD rack later;

2) XPEnology (I love XPEnology but see many cases of total loss during SHR rebuild and don't want spend the same volume size on offline backup)

i) excellent mobile device apps

ii) easy management

Any ways can archive the above? if flexraid not feasible then unraid + ESXi + XPEnology also won't work?

If ESXi won't do, can Win 8 + Hyper-V + flexraid form a pool and pass to XPEnology do?

Hey, I think that you're complicating things. Do you know the "KIS" concept? Well, it's about keeping it simple. Use DSM and plain ol' RAID. It's proven to be safe.

If you still want to use some mumbo jumbo geek stuff, I recommend searching for a ZFS thread in Xpenology where a user was asking for ZFS on Xpenology and used ZFSonLinux.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk