XPEnology Community

DSM 5.0-4493 Update 4 Complete Install Guide

XPEnology DSM 5.0-4493 Update 4 (Most Current Stable DSM) Complete Bare Metal Guide

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guide is depreciated since update 3 & 4. See below URL for an updated version of this guide with images

http://node1.ignorelist.com/dokuwiki/do ... 4_hardware

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks goes to all who contributed software, time, and a variety of posts that I used to compile this guide.

This Guide was installed on x64 hardware using an x64 version of NanoBoot. You should have a running NAS <15 Minutes if you follow this guide.

Please READ UP on NanoBoot, DSM 5.0-4493 and note if you're data is that critical... buy a Synology Box!

Pre-req hardware:

1. Compatible Hardware [MoBo, Processor, NIC(s), HDD’s, Chipset, ect]

2. USB Drive (preferable not a cheaper unit) 8+GB

Pre-req software:

1. Download SANCOME's Nanoboot (5.0.3.1) http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3052 [scroll down from first post and click the 'download mirror']

2. Download DSM 5.0-4493 .pat File http://ukdl.synology.com/download/DSM/5.0/4493/DSM_DS3612xs_4493.pat

3. Download & Install win32diskimager http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

4. Download & Install WinImage http://www.winimage.com/

5. Download & install Synology Assistant http://global.download.synology.com/download/Tools/SynologyAssistant/4448/Windows/SynologyAssistantSetup-5.0-4448.exe

Prep the USB Boot File:

1. Open nanoboot img file (NanoBoot-5.0.3.1-fat.img) with WinImage

2. Browse to “boot” -> “syslinux” -> & Extract “syslinux.cfg” to a working directory

3. Open syslinux with notepad++ (or other text editor--Notepad will work... NOT Wordpad!)

--a. Locate default serial number (sn=B3J4N01003) and change it slightly… (I replaced the last 4 numbers with some random numbers and a letter in the beginning.) I am not 100% if this is to any benefit with Syno**** Service (Quick Connect), but I didn't want the same Serial# as others who opted not to change.

--b. There should be 6 locations that “Find & Replace” Should find… and replace!

4. Save modified syslinux.cfg & inject syslinux back in overwriting changes

5. Save Nanoboot image file.

Install the NanoBoot file onto flash drive:

1. Format USB Drive to FAT32 (quick format will be fine)

2. Open win32diskimager

3. Locate the file previously modified (NanoBoot-5.0.3.1.img) and write the image file to your USB Flash Drive. [Pay attention to the Drive you are writing to!)

4. Eject/Remove USB Drive and plug it into your BareMetal Server.

Installing DSM:

1. Boot to USB Drive with AT LEAST one SATA Drive destined to be part of your XPEnology Build. (Change BIOS to boot USB Drive First!)

2. Wait for Nanoboot Screen

3. Choose “upgrade/degrade”

4. Choose the DSM version you wish to install (we are going current so 5.0-4493)

5. Wait for the OS to boot (you will see a prompt for DSM Login when completed booting)

6. Launch Synology Assistant (while on same LAN Subnet with DHCP enabled!) and wait until you see a Synology Server Populate with the serial number you modified in the above steps.

7. Right Click & Select Install

--a. Browse to .pat file downloaded earlier [Official Synology .pat]

--b. Input desired Servername, Username, Password & Check Create SHR After Installation [Any data on drives installed/mounted/plugged in will be destroyed!]

--c. Grab a beer and wait until unit says it has finished installing DSM. System will reboot. Please be patient...

8. When you are looking at the "Finished" Wizard; Right Click on your NAS from the list and select “Connect”

Update DSM to the most recent, secure from heart bleed & other exploits, version:

1. Open the control panel

2. Select “Update & Restore”

3. DO NOT CLICK UPDATE!

4. Select “Update Settings”

--a. Select “Important updates only”

--b. Uncheck “Check and download updates regularly”

--c. Click Ok

5. Click Download “Update 2” Once it checks for updates

6. Click “Install”

7. Grab Another Beer and think of sharing some bitcoin wealth with those who helped!

8. Wait for reboot

9. Enjoy your Current DSM!

I will get some screen shots & more details as I go along with my upgrade. I plan to wipe USB Drive & Hard Drive, try again, wipe, try again.. to make sure this is a solid process that can be replicated.

This is my First post... & first Guide with XPEnology... more to come with images as I take my lab box to pseudo production... Since this is a BETA Build!

I couldn't really find a solid "how-to" but was able to cruise enough forum posts and work off the knowledge used to get 4.2 going. Above is the output. Again, thank those who contributed... I just couldn't locate a solid guide and opted to take notes as I went about my install, then shared...

I do want to point out to those fellow Linux users... unetbootin will work too for writing the image! My 4.2-3211 box ran off a unetbootin-ed image for over a year and thus far my Nanoboot with 5.0-4493 U2 has been through several boot cycles without any issues.

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for such a clear consise guide. I followed it, and am now looking at a lovely new install.

Many thanks for this!

I registered just to say thanks and hope to have much enjoyment tinkering around with this.

Current nas units are 3 x Synology DS410J's. Running out of space so I got a 24 bay sata server and have this now to take over the duties of the 3 x 410j's.

:ugeek:

I currently am running DSM on ESXI but i would prefer to run it bare metal. I have no troubles setting up everything as you mentioned but here comes my problem and i hope you can help me with it.

I have 3x 4TB disk running RAID 5 on my current DSM setup and i want to migrate them to the bare metal system. Any tips on how i can achieve this?

First... I highly recommend a backup! Data & Config!

From my understanding the configuration is kept on the drives. You should be able to follow the following guide with some amendments.

http://www.synology.com/en-us/support/tutorials/484

More Specifically

http://www.synology.com/en-us/support/t ... s/484#t2.2

Maybe someone more versed in this process can sound off. But I am assuming you have ESXi installed on different drives than the 3x4TB Drives? I am also assuming you mounted the drives in vSphere as "raw" drives. The exception being the drive or drives ESXi Hypervisor is installed on?

Yeah the 3x 4TB disks are pure data. I am running ESXI from an USB device. All packages and its settings are on a seperate SDD. Since i couldnt map the drives directly as RAW I mapped the disks as "raw" with the workaround named in the perfect ESXi installation guide. So they should function the same.

Tnx for the advise on using the regular guide. I think i can work with that. I dont mind doing all my settings again so the packages etc dont matter it's just the pure data i want saved.

Sancome gets credit for Nanoboot.

Andy928, Trantor, Gnoboot, Nanoboot - all different releases by different authors.

And the rest of the community counts too!

What good are a bunch of servers and a network without its clients? :smile:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the guide worked a treat, however when I follow the instructions to do the update it downloads, starts the update then comes back with an error about the file might be corrupt.

Any way to get this to work?

Thanks

Kimbie

hi all... I've just update my N54L to DSM5 - 4493 - update 3 with Nanoboot.

Actually, I can't see my 5th SATA Hard Drive, connected on the CDROM Drive, is there an issue with this? I would like to mount my 5th hard drive to the other 4, to make a volume with 5x3TB hard drive.

I have updated the BIOS, and have all the settings right on it.

Is it possibile?

thank you very much

@bottman

Hello,

Is there a website that lists all hardware compatibility with DSM somewhere?

Also, is the DSM 5.0-4493.pat link you provided from Synology servers? I can actually find the same file at http://global.download.synology.com/dow ... s_4493.pat

Finally, would you mind explaining why you chose that file and not any other in /DSM/5.0/4493/? Was the choice related to your hardware? I am Looking at this http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.ph ... y_NAS_have and after consideration I might have to chose another .pat file since I have 8Gb installed and DS3612xs seems to only accept 6Gb.

DS3611xs would seem more appropriate for me but your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your answer.

EDIT: after looking the internet about the RAM capabilities of DS3612xs I found this http://www.synology.com/en-us/products/ ... w/DS3612xs. The previous link I provided seems to be wrong about the maximum RAM of 6Gb

The latest Nanoboot linked in this thread doesn't work with 4493 from the Synos website. Well it didn't for me. It would get to about 40% and then fail everytime.

Also, the update process didn't work either - "States failed or corrupt file". I have created a new set of instructions that worked for me for a bare metal and upgrade from 4.2 on a HP N54L on a seperate thread.

This thread helped me though so thank you.

The latest Nanoboot linked in this thread doesn't work with 4493 from the Synos website. Well it didn't for me. It would get to about 40% and then fail everytime.

Also, the update process didn't work either - "States failed or corrupt file". I have created a new set of instructions that worked for me for a bare metal and upgrade from 4.2 on a HP N54L on a seperate thread.

It did work for me.

I used this http://xpenology.trantor.be/nanoboot/ as linked in the OP.

However I used this link for the .pat file http://global.download.synology.com/dow ... s_4493.pat which normally should be exactly the same as the link for the .pat file provided in the OP.

Thanks for the guide worked a treat, however when I follow the instructions to do the update it downloads, starts the update then comes back with an error about the file might be corrupt.

Any way to get this to work?

Thanks

Kimbie

Is this Update 5.0 Update 1, Update 2 or Update 3?

No problem.

The Update 3 for 5.0-4493 CANNOT be done via update in DSM. There is a thread here that highlights accessing via secure shell (SSH) and installing Update 3. I will locate and post.

@bottman

Hello,

Also, is the DSM 5.0-4493.pat link you provided from Synology servers? I can actually find the same file at http://global.download.synology.com/dow ... s_4493.pat

Finally, would you mind explaining why you chose that file and not any other in /DSM/5.0/4493/? Was the choice related to your hardware? I am Looking at this http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.ph ... y_NAS_have and after consideration I might have to chose another .pat file since I have 8Gb installed and DS3612xs seems to only accept 6Gb.

DS3611xs would seem more appropriate for me but your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your answer.

EDIT: after looking the internet about the RAM capabilities of DS3612xs I found this http://www.synology.com/en-us/products/ ... w/DS3612xs. The previous link I provided seems to be wrong about the maximum RAM of 6Gb

The DS3612xs was the closest to my Hardware except the listing of 2 cores in the information center vs 4 cores on my Quad Core CPU.

I also wanted SSD Cache (http://ukdl.synology.com/download/Docum ... _Paper.pdf) and support for 4 Gig Ports (only 3 Intel Gig ports installed now... two on Server board and a 3rd via PCI-Express which was used only to set up my LACP & VLAN on the two onboard). Nothing at my house needs more than a 2GB Interface. The only other 2GB interface I have is the uplink between my All GIG Cisco Catalyst Switch and my Cisco Catalyst 10/100 PoE Switch for Cameras & Access Points. Who knows... maybe 10Gb cards will drop as 40Gb comes around the corner! And dare I say 100?!

I will say after "playing" with serial numbers... the serial number you input seems to possibly effect the Syno Model #. I tossed some garbage into an Dual Core Atom board and it said I had a RS2414+ (but that has an Atom CPU listed)

Get some hardware and tinker... who cares what the output is... its not your main rig!

hi all... I've just update my N54L to DSM5 - 4493 - update 3 with Nanoboot.

Actually, I can't see my 5th SATA Hard Drive, connected on the CDROM Drive, is there an issue with this? I would like to mount my 5th hard drive to the other 4, to make a volume with 5x3TB hard drive.

I have updated the BIOS, and have all the settings right on it.

Is it possibile?

thank you very much

This could be a hardware compatibility issue...

Let me make sure I follow... you've got a HDD on a SATA Connetor that once had an optical drive?

I would suggest speaking with other N54L Owners vs broadcasting that support request on an installation guide... Obviously you made it to the bottom of the rabbit hole since you are running DSM 5.0-4493 which is all this guide was slated to do.

I personally wanted more HDD's than what the N54L would hold. I used to rock an older Intel SS4200e with its 4 bay max... I needed more!

To install Update 3 see the below post from another member. It is what I used to get Update 3 working

[side note. WHen this guide was compiled there was only Update 2. If you follow the same instructions but see it jump over Update1 or Update2 you may want to download and NOT install Update3 and follow the below method)

Re: Issue with DSM 5.0-4493 Update 3?

Unread postby Badj4ck » 25 Jul 2014 12:15

Work fine:

Download the update without installing (inside dsm update utility)

connect in root with ssh

type:

Xpenology> sed 's/flashupdateDeb/flashupdateDeb1/' /autoupd@te.info > /autoupd@te.info1

Xpenology> mv /autoupd@te.info1 /autoupd@te.info

Then do the update.

The DS3612xs was the closest to my Hardware except the listing of 2 cores in the information center vs 4 cores on my Quad Core CPU.

I also wanted SSD Cache (http://ukdl.synology.com/download/Docum ... _Paper.pdf) and support for 4 Gig Ports (only 3 Intel Gig ports installed now... two on Server board and a 3rd via PCI-Express which was used only to set up my LACP & VLAN on the two onboard). Nothing at my house needs more than a 2GB Interface. The only other 2GB interface I have is the uplink between my All GIG Cisco Catalyst Switch and my Cisco Catalyst 10/100 PoE Switch for Cameras & Access Points. Who knows... maybe 10Gb cards will drop as 40Gb comes around the corner! And dare I say 100?!

I will say after "playing" with serial numbers... the serial number you input seems to possibly effect the Syno Model #. I tossed some garbage into an Dual Core Atom board and it said I had a RS2414+ (but that has an Atom CPU listed)

Get some hardware and tinker... who cares what the output is... its not your main rig!

I figured that out after looking around indeed. Same as you my CPU is a 2cores/2threads so DMS is only showing 2C/2T.

For the serial I changed the last 5 digits. When I tried to register at Synology for the fun it showed up like a DS114 if I remember right.

So far, the only things that do not work (but this is registration related) is the QuickConnect functionality but it can easily be overcome by setting up a custom DDNS and the Push Notification to the DS Finder app. Those two can only work if the product is purchased and properly registered on Synology's website with a valid serial number.

I have also noticed something peculiar regarding the network interface. If I bond LAN 1 and LAN 2 then I will not see any activity at the Resource Monitor Network tab. The graph will remain totally flat even if I am uploading stuff to server. In fact, even without bonding, LAN 2 always remains flat although I have sent data to that network interface. Any ideas why?

Edited by Guest

@bottman

Hello,

Check with Sancomes Nanoboot for anything the communicty has injected... otherwise if you stick to what Syno--- supports... you cannot go wrong!

http://www.synology.com/en-global/support/compatibility

Thanks. Yes I had seen that link before but it doesn't list he most important part: the mobo/CPU :grin: reason why I asked.

To install Update 3 see the below post from another member. It is what I used to get Update 3 working

[side note. WHen this guide was compiled there was only Update 2. If you follow the same instructions but see it jump over Update1 or Update2 you may want to download and NOT install Update3 and follow the below method)

Re: Issue with DSM 5.0-4493 Update 3?

Unread postby Badj4ck » 25 Jul 2014 12:15

Work fine:

Download the update without installing (inside dsm update utility)

connect in root with ssh

type:

Xpenology> sed 's/flashupdateDeb/flashupdateDeb1/' /autoupd@te.info > /autoupd@te.info1

Xpenology> mv /autoupd@te.info1 /autoupd@te.info

Then do the update.

This is what worked for me to install update 3: http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3666 Look at the ***UPDATE 3 for 4493*** section. As stated by Bottman, the update has to be downloaded manually then uploaded to the server. Follow the instructions carefully and it should work.

So far, the only things that do not work (but this is registration related) is the QuickConnect functionality but it can easily be overcome by setting up a custom DDNS and the Push Notification to the DS Finder app. Those two can only work if the product is purchased and properly registered on Synology's website with a valid serial number.

I have also noticed something peculiar regarding the network interface. If I bond LAN 1 and LAN 2 then I will not see any activity at the Resource Monitor Network tab. The graph will remain totally flat even if I am uploading stuff to server. In fact, even without bonding, LAN 2 always remains flat although I have sent data to that network interface. Any ideas why?

Move to a new subject; not an issue with this guide. Let me know the post and I will see what we can do...

First thought tho... 1+1 Does not always =2 !!

http://packetpushers.net/the-scaling-limitations-of-etherchannel-or-why-11-does-not-equal-2/

Second thought is switch configuration and/or switch support for 802.3ad/LACP. Is your switch configured to see this as one bonded link and does your switch support it. If your switch is "unmanaged" it most likely does not support port agg.

Either way... new subject or PM me!

Just installed DSM 5.0-4493 Update 3 on My N54L after having the security messages about the ransomware having ran DSM 4.3 for the past year.

Now having spent the best part of 2 days backing up and getting DSM 5.0 setup I have come across a stumbling block with the push notifications. I understand from the above posts that this is not working. Yup I should have read the vast amount of posts on the forums prior to install but then again the forums aren't the most user friendly in terms of ease of use for the less experienced amongst us :???: It confused me and took me long enough to decide on which bootloader to use, started with gynoboot but struggled to update to 4493 Update 3 with any updates saying they weren't for my NAS so then I tried with nanoboot and updated successfully which is where I am at now.

I use the push notifications in conjunction with surveillance station to alert me when the camera detects motion when I am not home. Is there a work around for this? as I am not sure how to interpret Polanskiman comment a few posts up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Neil

Does the Surveillance Station Notify your DSM? ie: do you get an alert inside of DSM when there is motion? It's the 5th Icon from the top right inside of DSM.

If you do get alerts inside of DSM. You could use "Notification Forwarder" from the community packages and PushOver [My Preference] to receive alerts.

SS Detects Motion -> Sends Alert to DSM -> Notification Forwarder Parses Alert -> Sends Alert to PushOver -> PushOver Alerts your mobile device.

With Pushover you can schedule alert times/quite times. So say from 0800-1700 M-F you want Alerts, but all other times you do not. That can be done.

I am not sure why Push Notifications is not working. I am assuming it is one of many Syno---y features that is being blocked due to the fact that we are not running legitimate DSM and/or Serial#'s.

Was Push being handled by SS or DSM?

I use SS... but not PushNotifications. I even picked up a 4-pack to accomdate my 6 total IP Cameras after testing with SS for about a month. I was able to shutdown another PC-DVR box! I must say that I am impressed with the low CPU usage for 5 720p Cameras & 1 1080p Camera recording motion @ 10fps