XPEnology Community

[SOLVED]how many GB ram of DSM 4.2 3202 support?

HENRY17

how many GB ram of DSM 4.2 3202 support?

i have a asrock e350m1,2*4G RAM running the xpenology 4.2.3202.

the dsm 4.2 system info only show 3072 mb ram.

but my mb bios already detect 8G RAM correctly.

is it the dsm not support >4G RAM?

thank you

sorry for my bad english.

uMAZ7NZ.jpg

i have 8gb recognized (and working i guess... but i don't know how to fill them up)

Your board is probably reserving some ammount of ram for the graphics. Could it be that you have 1gb vram in your BIOS???

EDIT: sorry, i missreaded, you have 8gb.... then it has to be that you are loading a 32bit kernel without PAE... but i dont see how is this possible...

the mb bios has set "512MB" RAM to onboard display function

oh,DSM is 32bit OS/kernal?

if the os is 32bit only,i think my system only install 1 pcs of 4G RAM is more valueable

thank you for your reply.

but the 3202 boot image req a 64bit cpu to boot.so i'm not sure that image is 32 bit or 64 bit.

The largest memory support based on the NorthBridge chipset or CPU (new CPU had include NB).

I can use 16GB memory capacity on Intel Z68 and Z77 platforms with Xeon E3 V2 CPU.

All the boot kernel for DSM had update to x64 after DSM 2.3 build 1167.

Maybe you need to update your MB BIOS to the latest version.

• 3 weeks later...
I have 2 x 8GB and it's a bit overkill, but i had this since i was using FreeNAS.

Apparently DSM 4.2 build 3202 doesn't need more than 2GB. Maybe i'm talking bullshit but this is what i saw on my xpe box

So let's say I get 4.2 running on my server, then 1GB RAM should be fine, right?

I have 2 x 8GB and it's a bit overkill, but i had this since i was using FreeNAS.

Apparently DSM 4.2 build 3202 doesn't need more than 2GB. Maybe i'm talking bullshit but this is what i saw on my xpe box

So let's say I get 4.2 running on my server, then 1GB RAM should be fine, right?

For home size server with 2-6 drives and some applications it is enough. I have 1GB with 4 drives and some apps, like websites, mail server, and few more. Never seen more than half of RAM utilized.

For home size server with 2-6 drives and some applications it is enough. I have 1GB with 4 drives and some apps, like websites, mail server, and few more. Never seen more than half of RAM utilized.

If run Video station, put more RAM better 2-3GB!

Does anyone can help me to solve my ASUS E350 3GB RAM(installed 2x4GB) problem! :cry:

Does anyone can help me to solve my ASUS E350 3GB RAM(installed 2x4GB) problem! :cry:

4 drives in JBOD (nothing important, so... I need the space :grin:), apps I usually run inlude VPS Server, LDAP server, Mail Server, Transmission with Sickbeard, Couchpotato and Headphones, and sometimes a little Minecraft (with everything unnecessary disabled of course). Based on what you say, I could easily go with even 512MB then?

4 drives in JBOD (nothing important, so... I need the space :grin:), apps I usually run inlude VPS Server, LDAP server, Mail Server, Transmission with Sickbeard, Couchpotato and Headphones, and sometimes a little Minecraft (with everything unnecessary disabled of course). Based on what you say, I could easily go with even 512MB then?

Some entri-level boxes like RS812 and other models come with 512MB and 2bay DS even with 256MB. Those are not a speed demons, but still work.

Some entri-level boxes like RS812 and other models come with 512MB and 2bay DS even with 256MB. Those are not a speed demons, but still work.

Let's not talk about speed, I have to use the onboard LAN (100Mbit) and an extra card (again 100Mbit) bonded to have enough speed to play 1080p files directly from CIFS :grin:

Let's not talk about speed, I have to use the onboard LAN (100Mbit) and an extra card (again 100Mbit) bonded to have enough speed to play 1080p files directly from CIFS :grin:

It doesn't take much to saturate 100Mbps link. I would try with 512MB of RAM.

Ok this is odd, My SuperMicro SuperServer Intel Xeon 1230v2 shows 32gb ECC Ram in DSM 4.2, but my AMD Asus M5A97 LE 2.0 (970 Chipset) FX-6300 shows 4gb when there is 8gb ECC ram??

Is this an AMD memory addressing issue?

• 3 weeks later...

Asus C60m1-I with 16 gigs of ram. Only 3 gigs reported under DSM, 16 in bios. Wierd thing is, 3211 shows only 5 drives instead of 6, but showing the full 16gigs of ram.

DS3612xs_3202-Repack

How is this solved BTW?