XPEnology Community

Adding another nic

gros21

I'm running 5.0 if I add another nic will it automaticly work? If not how to I force it to work. Also I've heard u can link nic's how do I do this does it matter if they are not matched?

Also what a good budget gigabit nic to grap to work with the hp micro server.

On my gnoboot 10.5 install it automatically recognised a new card. Have a look for HP360NT Dual NICs on eBay - they are PCI-E, Intel based and go for about £15-20. There is also Dell & IBM variants which should work fine. Just make sure you get one with a low-profile bracket :smile:

As for bonding, the GUI will walk you through creating a bond. There are different types of bonds (performance, redundancy etc - have a google about it), for full LACP bonding you'll need a managed switch on the other end but you'll be able to do a basic bond without one. A basic bond means you'll still only get a maximum 1Gbps throughput per connection - you'll only see a benefit greater than 1Gbps if you have multiple devices hitting the NAS at once.

If you want a good managed LACP capable switch then HP 1810G 8port switches also usually go for reasonable prices on eBay.