XPEnology Community

DS918+ on Odroid H2 problem

doveoscar

Hi,

I have I believe installed DSM6.2.2 for a DS918+ on an Odroid H2 with loader 1.04b. The install appears to occur without error, from either Synology Assistant or the web interface. I believe it completes because (a) there's regular disk activity after the installation, and (b) if I remove the disc and look at it on another machine, it looks as if DSM is indeed there.

I have used (a) genuine DS918+ S/No and MACs in the grub.cfg and (b) the hardware's own MACs and the S/No already in the file. In both cases, after the install and the mandatory 10 minute wait (how annoying is that?) neither ethernet socket on the H2 indicates any activity. Each has a green and an orange  light. The greens are both lit, neither orange shows any activity at all. As far as I can tell the NICs are not working at all.

Any thoughts on how to proceed would be most welcome.

Edited by doveoscar

2 hours ago, richv31 said:

It wont work, you have a realtec netwok card. Search the forum and find out what previous version of dsm to install, probably 6.1.7 is your best bet. Maybe 6.2 will work. Again search function on this forum is your friend and read the tutorials.

OK thanks, I spent hours combing the forums. I did find two people claiming the H2 worked for them (but maybe earlier versions of DSM?) and I found a lot of contradictory stuff about Realtek NIC. But mine definitely don't work so I'll take your advice and report back.

look up the threads "Guide to native drivers for DSM*"  in the tutorials section, also look at the threads reporting success/fail after updates to the latest version, you will see that installations with Realtek NICs failed the updates since synology removed all support for those chipsets.....

OK so I now have my Odroid H2 running DSM 6.1.7 for DS3617xs.

Bootloaders earlier than 1.04b do not work on the H2, they just don't boot. 1.04b however does not work with earlier versions of DSM. So I used jhonny's trick of copying /EFI/BOOT/BOOTx64.EFI from 1.04b loader to 1.02b, and it booted (I didn't do the other changes till I had a loader that booted).

With a few more tweaks to grub.cfg - setting VID, PID, MAC addresses for both ethernet ports and setting the number of net interfaces to 2, it not only booted, it went all the way through installing and running DSM 6.1.7 without the infamous error 13 and with both NICs still working.

Many thanks richv31 and jhonny for the help.

• 2 weeks later...

I have established that my Odroid H2 runs DSM 6.1.7 on DS3615xs and DS3617xs; and DSM 6.2.1 on DS918+.

None of them recognize an NVME SSD, as dealt with elsewhere.

I'm sticking with the DS918+ as it's the only one of the three where Plex Media Server uses the processor's hardware transcoding.

Edited by doveoscar