XPEnology Community

Volume degraded

merve04

So in the past week, I've been having issues with my main volume. The first time I noticed this my volume was degraded, disk 5 was not initialized. I did a repair and all was good. A few days later it happened again, but it wouldn't let me repair on disk 5, so I used another HDD that was in the system. On top of that problem, I also had disk 6 having system partition fail, but it also repaired it. Today I wanted to pull out disk 5, but apparently I was pulling out the wrong one, as I would reboot and volume was degraded, so I plug it back in, try another hdd, now my volume was crashed. Once again plug it back in, volume came back degraded, my old disk 5 came back online crashed as well as drive 3 is crashed which happened to be one of the drive I pulled out while trying to find disk 5. Yes I know I should probably label my drives. So the volume is now repairing itself again here for the 3rd time in less than a week. Am I just having that bad of luck??

You probably have a power or SATA cable problem with the drive that keeps failing, it appears to be physically disconnected from the system momentarily.  It could be a drive problem too but I'd check cabling first.

You are rolling the dice with your recovery method.  Any degraded array needs to be treated very carefully.  You have probably already lost some data given the crashed status.

DSM tracks all disks by model and serial number.  Once it decides a disk itself has crashed irrevocably, it will flag it in /var/log/disk_overview.xml.  You can edit the file yourself and delete the tag for that particular disk.  Reboot and DSM will regenerate it as a new drive with no flags.

anyway figured out how to open the file now.. so I see in the disk_overview.xml file the <SN_S300GLW2 model="ST4000DM000-1F2168"> as well as <SN_S300HFMP model="ST4000DM000-1F2168">

Under DSM in Storage manager, under HDD\SSD those hardrives based on those SN are fine and the ones reporting crashed arent in that disk_overview.xml file.

Problems just seem to be getting worse. As I try to remove a crashed drive, say hdd3 I follow the data cable from mobo port sata 2 (as there’s 0,1) when I boot back in, hdd 1 is gone. So power off plug back in and now drive 1 says crashed, i now have 4 hdd reporting crashed. The sata port mapping seems completely out of whack, and the only thing that’s coming to my mind is dsm 6.2.2. Been backing up 24/7 since Wednesday, still got 4 and a bit TB to go.