XPEnology Community

Questions regarding HP Microserver Gen8 with Xpenology

vk2002

Hi everyone,

I've been looking for answers regarding my questions but can't seem to find them, or just don't know where to look lol.

I'm a newbie when it comes to configuring the microserver as I'm actually still contemplating of getting one. I've been using a 4 bay synology for quite a while, which is why I'm attracted to using the Xpenology and DSM even though I know I can also use Freenas and other options. The reason why I'm considering the HP microserver is because it's cheaper than synology and also it is more versatile with usb ports and can attach an optical drive. I just have a few questions which I wish someone can help me with before I make the jump.

1. From the specifications, it said it can support up to 4x 3TB hdds. Can it take the WD 4TB Red instead or the 3TBs? From what I read it seems it's compatible, but I ask just to be sure.

2. One of the main reason for buying the microserver is for the USB ports, but if I use the DSM, can I actually use the usb ports to transfer files or attached external drives since I don't think DSM actually uses usb ports.

3. Apply question no. 2 to an optical drive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

1. I do not think there is a limitation relative to the disk drives.

2. All the USB ports are working and can be used to transfer to/from an external storage device.

3. I do not know how will see an optical unit, I'll try in 2 days.

DS3612xs has 12bays and accepting 2 more expansion DX12112 units. So in total 36 drives (https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/spec/DS3612xs) but for max performance, you'll need an infiniband connection between the NAS and it's expansion. It will work on eSATA but yeah, not with the same speed.

So, to rephrase it, current Xpenology can pe used with lots and lots of drives :smile:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am using the HP Gen8 microserver. Interested to know how to get the USB 3.0 ports working. Currently, I am running HP customised ESXi 5.5 and DSM 5.0.4458 with genoboot 10.5 alpha. I can only get the USB 2.0 ports working under DSM. Tried adding xHCI USB driver under ESXi but not working. Do I need to "load" specific driver? If so, how to do that?

Many thanks!!!

I run latest Xpenology DSM 5 update 2 nanoboot (4493) bare metal on the gen8 microserver. With 4x WD RED 4TB drives. The HP raid controller not configured and let the Xpenology do the raid stuff. working great. Also frond and back usb ports all working. Having a second HP gen8 box upgradend with Xeon 8core and 16gb ram running esxi 5.1 as test i installed xpenology on the esxi also working good but slower performance then bare metal.