XPEnology Community

Pulling hair out, bootable usb : Gen8 Microserver

headrat

Hi All,

I''m starting to lose my sanity, I'm trying to create a new USB stick for my Gen8 Microserver (the existing USB had an encounter with an over zealous 6 year old!)

I've got my bootloader  (DS3615xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02b) and I've updated the 

VID for USB

PID for USB

MAC for NIC 

Serial  

using OSFMOUNT (verified that the image does indeed have these values). I then use RUFUS to create a bootable image from the IMG file.

The problem is that the Gen8 refuses to boot of the USB stick (I've tried several).

HELP!

THanks

HEADRAT

Ok so it can boot but do you get the Menu when you boot to the synology drive?

If not, theres possibly an issue with how you're editing the IMG file..

Easiest (for me) is to just Rufus the vanilla image to USB then plug it into a linux VM (or machine), mount the partition and edit the grub.cfg directly..

I'm using Notepad++,  I have no problem spinning up a VM but I guess I'm a little dubious that is the issue as every other video/post I've seen Notepad++ has been fine.

When I try and boot from the Jun bootloader I don't get the normal menu you'd expect e.g.

y4mMzQ7rWONrVfvAOGXUoUOWrMGXmCuo66THlWo0

it just refuses to boot and loops around and around the boot cycle.

It's been a number of years since I've done this but I don't recall it being particularly problematic, this has really got me "scratching my head". I looked at loads of posts/youtube videos and I'm following the correct process but I'm going wrong somewhere!

Just a thought, I'm getting the bootloader from "Xpenology_Tool_V142" maybe that's an issue, what a good source for the "DS3615xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02b" bootloader?

Edited by headrat

OK so I wanted to go for the to go for 1.02b as I was on 6.1 but I thought I'd try 1.03b and upgrade to 6.2.

All seems to have gone OK, to a point, if I just start the box then everything seems to be OK but as soon as I start DSM and say go into "packages" or "control panel" the server drops off the network:

y4mgpedY83a6exsuzadwGsuQgaiRJjgsxcSU8yT0

If I click on "connect" I get into DSM but as soon as I log into DSM and press "control panel" I get kicked out of my ssh session, my constant ping stops to 192.168.1.2 and "Synology Assistant" can no longer find the server!

Oh my !

Edited by headrat

Everything is backed up either to cloud or other NAS so it would be the "end of the world" but ideally I'd like to find out why the network "barfs" when I start DSM applications.

My presumption is that something is getting "updated" as these applications loads which is causing the network to be reset.

Edited by headrat

Found logs in /var/logs ;) (I'm very rusty with CLI)

I think it may have something to do with the VSWITCH, I seem to remember having setup a bond at some point on the box (but it didn't work as desired).

I can see:

admin@DiskStation:/var/log$ sudo synonet --show
System network interface list:

Host Name: DiskStation
Network interface: ovs_eth0
Manual IP
IP: 192.168.1.197
Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DNS: 192.168.1.1
MTU Setting: 2000
-1, Full duplex, active mtu 1500
RX bytes: 56026460
TX bytes: 5110310

Host Name: DiskStation

Network interface: ovs_eth1
Manual IP
IP: 192.168.1.2
Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DNS: 192.168.1.1
MTU Setting: 2000
1000, Full duplex, active mtu 2000
RX bytes: 16843000404
TX bytes: 1900737601049

I'm connected to 192.168.1.2.

I bet something isn't playing nicely since upgrade to 6.2, I'm trying to find I disable the BOND/VSWITCH from the CLI

Currently everything works fine (PLEX/SONARR/RADARR/NZBGET) etc. but when the network just stops working when I press "control panel" I get kicked out of my ssh session, my constant ping stops to 192.168.1.2 and "Synology Assistant" can no longer find the server on any IP.

Edited by headrat

Failed BOND configs can lead to numerous symptoms.

While connected via SSH enter the following:

• sudo -s
  • enter your Admin password

Navigate to:

cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts

You should see 4 files:

ifcfg-bond0 ifcfg-eth0 ifcfg-eth1 ifcfg-lo

Rename the ifcfg-bond0 file by:

mv ifcfg-bond0 ifcfg-bond0.backup

Now you have to edit the cfg files for both network interfaces (set them to DHCP):

vi ifcfg-eth0 (and after that vi ifcfg-eth1)

Replace your entries with the following:

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes
BRIDGE=""
IPV6INIT=dhcp
IPV6_ACCEPT_RA=1

For the eth1:

DEVICE=eth1
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes
BRIDGE=""
IPV6INIT=dhcp
IPV6_ACCEPT_RA=1

Type :wq! to save and quit vi.

To restart your network type:

/etc/rc.network restart

Better - reboot by typing:

reboot

Now your NAS will try to get an IP from your DHCP. Check your Router/DHCP-Server or use find.synology.com.

It's advisable to check if your control panel is working normal after this to exclude the failed bond config from the list of possible error reasons.

Edited by jensmander