XPEnology Community

Hyper-V Hard Drive SMART Data Issue

dp64

Hello

I am trying to deploy nanoboot/Synology on Hyper-V in a Windows Server 2012 R2 virtual machine. I have found out that when using pass-through disks using Hyper-V, hard drive SMART data is not passed along to Synology. This does not seem good as I don't know if I will be alerted if one of the drives has a problem or begins to fail.

I thought alternatively I could configure my drives in RAID using the onboard Intel Raid utility of my motherboard then pass the disks through to the VM so the onboard controller can monitor the drives but this does not seem ideal.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

• 2 years later...
Hello

I am trying to deploy nanoboot/Synology on Hyper-V in a Windows Server 2012 R2 virtual machine. I have found out that when using pass-through disks using Hyper-V, hard drive SMART data is not passed along to Synology. This does not seem good as I don't know if I will be alerted if one of the drives has a problem or begins to fail.

I thought alternatively I could configure my drives in RAID using the onboard Intel Raid utility of my motherboard then pass the disks through to the VM so the onboard controller can monitor the drives but this does not seem ideal.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Any update on this? Did you every resolve the issue?