XPEnology Community

Is XPEnology hardware hungry?

down_shift

Hey guys

new here. I am a 5 year Windows Home Server user. It's time to upgrade the resident NAS.

I am piecing together a new system as I want to migrate everything slowly off the current setup. Taking the precaution so I don't lose any data.

It's another excuse to upgrade hardware as well!

My question is- Does Xpenology require a boat load of memory, processor, bus etc?

I haven't found much info on the software. It seems it works as fast as the slowest harddrive. The memory would be useful for running Apps?

Should I go for 8GB or 16GB of ram?

Does XPEnology rely heavily on the processor?

Which processor?

Intel Celoron G1840 2.8Ghz LGA 1150 -$40

Intel Pentium G3240 3.10GHz LGA 1150 -$50

Intel Core i3-4150 3.4GHz LGA 1150 -$100

Intel Core i3-4360 3.7 GHz LGA 1150 -$140

Excited to get started!

Hi down_shift,

I recently took the plunge and installed xpenology on my htpc (see my sig for hardware specs). The installation is fairly easy. So my first recommendation is to try a test installation on the hardware you already have, if possible. I tested out the DSM 5.0 on my gaming rig (Intel i7-3770K CPU, MSI z77 MPower Motherboard, a HDD, and a USB stick) prior to deploying it on the current machine. It will allow you to get a feel for the DSM 5.0 and the specific uses you might have for it.

After my initial testing, I realized that DSM 5.0 was very efficient. It doesn't need a of lot memory or cpu power. If you are planning on using plex to transcode, I think that may require extra processing power (I have not tried this yet). I use a Celeron G1610 and I barely see cpu utilization greater than 50% (most of the time much less). Also, I have 8 GB of memory and I think even that may be overkill. More than half is free, and the majority of the rest is being used as cache.

I currently have SABnzbd and Sickbeard installed and running. I also have been using DownloadStation (and the chrome plugin) for torrents and general downloads initiated from my browser.

I would recommend getting the Celeron G1840, and saving money on the cpu. You can then spend money on a motherboard that has all the features you want depending on your needs (i.e. dual NIC, more onboard SATA ports, mini-itx form factor, etc.).

Another solution to consider is the low power quad-core celeron J1900 boards (like the ASRock Q1900-ITX). It seems like those are working well now.

You'll need lots of SATA connectors, a low power x86_64 CPU and max 2GB of RAM (I just changed my GA-E350 with an Q1900-ITX) and just imagine that it consumes 38W/h in full load comparing it with the former board which used to consume 58W.

For a NAS that's always powered, you need to be silent, cheap and full of TBs :smile:

When thinking of costs, have in mind the "always on"factor :smile:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have decided On a 6port sata mitx mobo with 4x4Tb drives and a h60 water cooler.

All fits in a very small mitx box.

Just want to know if I should go ahead with 16gb of ram to max out the system or 8gb.

As well as getting a cheaper celeron processor or getting the i3.

Looks like both run at 53w.

So I assume it will be more with hard drives spinning?

I will be running apps like sickbeard. And plex.

I was a WHS user too, welcome to what should have been.

ZOTAC Atom Dual-Core 1.6GHz/MCP7A-ION/DVI&HDMI/A&V&GbE/Mini ITX Motherboard IONITX-G-E with 2GB RAM barely breaks a sweat, GIGe network moves data at around 65MBs easily. 5x2TB(soon to be 4x2) + 1x3TB(soon to be 2x3TB) drives plus a 4port PCI-E card, the mobo only has 4xSATA. This tiny rig has not been found wanting for anything. Adding drives pushes CPU to about 50% during rebuild/recalc for about 5hours. it was a $60 mobo/CPU combo, use your $$ for storage. It is on24x7.

This is one of the two cards I use:

IO Crest 2 Port SATA III PCI-Express x1 Card (SY-PEX40039)

The other is a 4 port. both came with mini bracket for smaller case. I use tower cases to accommodate HDD's

original build had 4X1TB WD RED 2.5 drives. Very low power and very reliable (at least for me)