XPEnology Community

Asrock Q1900-ITX/Q1900DC-ITX

On 6/19/2017 at 6:45 AM, mariad said:

I am having issues with the NIC driver as well.

i think the new boot loader 1.0.2b resolved the issue of loading the updated modules.

there is also a nice tutorial by polanskiman that you can follow to load the needed drivers

On 6/20/2017 at 4:41 PM, opty said:

i think the new boot loader 1.0.2b resolved the issue of loading the updated modules.

there is also a nice tutorial by polanskiman that you can follow to load the needed drivers

Does this mean that now it is possible to _upgrade_ from 6.0.x to 6.1? ( I have 6.0.2 Update 8) 

On 6/23/2017 at 5:47 PM, mariad said:

Thanks for the update, where do i get the tutorial from.

10 hours ago, dk74 said:

Does this mean that now it is possible to _upgrade_ from 6.0.x to 6.1? ( I have 6.0.2 Update 8) 

That depends. If you are on AMD then no. If you are on Intel then yes.

On 6/29/2017 at 6:35 AM, dk74 said:

i am on 6.1 bare metal not the latest yet but from what i read it should be fine.

if you have a spare drive always test it out before upgrade.

@Polanskiman the forum signatures aren't working or it's me 

Can anyone who has been brave enough to test Jun's latest 1.02b installer with the q1900 board report back with success on bare metal? I am currently testing on 6.02 but have been holding off on updating to 6.1 because the previous Jun loader was having issues with updates....can any users with the q1900 report back to the group if 6.02 to 6.1  has been tested to work when using the new loader to update? I am tempted to try but am concerned drivers may be missing for this board or other possible issues .. Thanks.

Edited by zamma

Migration DSM_3615 DSM5.2-5967update3 to DSM_DS3615xs_15132
In image 1.02b I modified:

VID PID
MAC
Serial 
The system started up without problems, works for about 3 hours
Regards 
P.s sorry but i used google translator 

aktualizacja.jpg

Edited by xmir
  • Like 1

I have J3455 with PCI-E 1X port, which NIC do you guys suggest buying for it?

I dont want to mess with drivers too much.

I see only 1 port versions from Intel for 1X PCI-E:

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106036&cm_re=Intel_network_adapter_PCI-Express_1-_-33-106-036-_-Product

but 1 port is not enough.

Saw this but dont know if it's supported:

https://www.amazon.com/Syba-SD-PEX24009-Gigabit-Network-Black/dp/B01HH6WETO

Looks like it's based on Realtek drivers.

Anybody try to install Syba NICs?

Thanks!

ooh, here info (only for plex pass users):

http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/250946/plex-media-server-hardware-transcoding-preview-1-4-0/p1

Happy holidays, forum users! We've got something special in store for you with this release: it enables hardware transcoding for Windows, macOS, and Linux for Plex Pass users. Using hardware transcoding reduces CPU usage and power consumption, and may substantially improve transcoding performance.

This is a special forums-only preview release; the changes in this build will be included in a regular release once any new issues are handled.

Hardware transcoding requires a 64-bit Intel CPU on Linux, ideally from a recent generation (Haswell or later), and will use the primary graphics adapter on Windows and macOS.

The only supported codec for encoding is H.264.

On Linux and Windows, decoding of both H.264 and HEVC are supported. On macOS only H.264 is supported.

Hardware-encoded video may not have the same quality as software-encoded video.

Please test this version with a variety of different media file formats and clients. If you notice any new issues, please respond to this discussion instead of starting a new one, and include your Plex Media Server logs and a sample file that reproduces the issue.

If you're running Windows, you should always uninstall preview releases before installing another preview release or an official release. This won't affect your library or personal data at all, and it will work around some Windows installer-related issues.

EDIT: These links have been updated to point to a new beta (build 3224).

Download links:

Release notes (1.4.0.3173):

Known issues:

• At the moment we only support Intel graphics for hardware decoding. You can try using another graphics adapter, and it may or may not work. We're interested in hearing about your experiences either way.

EDIT: Release notes (1.4.0.3224):

NEW:

• (macOS) OS version 10.8 is no longer supported. (#6155)
    FIXES:

• (Windows) A memory leak in the transcoder.

• (macOS) Transcodes targeting resolutions lower than 480p broke with hardware encoding.
  • (macOS) Transcodes with Matroska output (Chrome, PMP…) weren't working on some hardware.

EDIT (by StSimm1): Release updated onto a 1.6.0 base (see 1.6.0 release notes)

• EDIT: In order to support hardware transcoding on Linux, you'll need to add the PMS user to the "video" group. You can do this by running usermod -aG video plexmediaserver as root, substituting "plexmediaserver" for the name of the Plex user on your system. Future versions will handle this automatically on install or upgrade.
  • EDIT 2: If you'd like to use this preview with Docker, see this post for installation details.

The source code of the transcoder is available here.

Great news. In this days i'm planning to upgrade my build from DSM 5.1 to DMS 6.1 with a fresh install.

Now i've installed 4 sata drives each with their own volume, so nothing RAID o SHR.  To avoid the problem to have to backup data before each DSM update i will change the build.

I'm switching the sata drives from sata internal mode to esata mode, in this way the drives will become only data EXT4 drives, and i'll add a new drive which will runs DSM. 

So when i want to update DSM i have only to unplug the esata data drives, update DSM, check synoinfo.conf and reconnect the drive in esata mode.

I'm thinking to use a SSD as DSM system drive to create a zero-noise build when the esata data drives gone to sleep/hybernation. 

About the new transcoding option for Plex i've found this topic: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7151-difference-ds916-ds3615xs-and-ds3617xs/

DS3617xs use the Xeon D-1527 which doesn't have any GPU integrated, so i infer that the hardware transcoding will not work with a DS3617xs system image.

At this point, i wonder which system image is better between DS916+ and DS3615xs to test the new hardware transcoding feature.

Edited by robermix

A possible (?) dirty solution is to manually corrup the system partition of the old drives (https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7004-tutorial-how-to-access-dsms-data-system-partitions/), add them to the new build and when DSM 6 will boot it will copy itself to the old drives fixing the volumes. But i think that is a very dirty and dangerous solution and i'm not sure it will work.

I'm switching to esata drive mode to avoid this problem. DSM (and packages) installed in only one drive and all other are only data drives. (I don't need RAID or SHR solutions.)

Edited by robermix

In my Case Raid has saved my system more than once after a power outage, or unexpected power off of the system, after which the partition(s)/drive(s) became corrupted... so will unfortunately stay on RAID. 

indeed very dirty, and will try am upgrade, but first will do a clean HDD to see if I can get it working correctly

14 hours ago, test4321 said:

I have J3455 with PCI-E 1X port, which NIC do you guys suggest buying for it?

I dont want to mess with drivers too much.

I see only 1 port versions from Intel for 1X PCI-E:

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106036&cm_re=Intel_network_adapter_PCI-Express_1-_-33-106-036-_-Product

but 1 port is not enough.

Saw this but dont know if it's supported:

https://www.amazon.com/Syba-SD-PEX24009-Gigabit-Network-Black/dp/B01HH6WETO

Looks like it's based on Realtek drivers.

Anybody try to install Syba NICs?

Thanks!

Just tried it out the SYBA 4 port PCI-E 1X is working!

swwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

9 hours ago, test4321 said:

Just tried it out the SYBA 4 port PCI-E 1X is working!

swwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

does having 4 nic ports work for increasing transfer bandwidth for a single connection (Link bonding?)  I was thinking of purchasing a Synology Nas model with 4 Nic ports but theoretical gigabit speed is saturated over 1 port so why have 4 unless you have multiple users accessing simultaneously? 

Edited by zamma

13 hours ago, zamma said:

does having 4 nic ports work for increasing transfer bandwidth for a single connection (Link bonding?)  I was thinking of purchasing a Synology Nas model with 4 Nic ports but theoretical gigabit speed is saturated over 1 port so why have 4 unless you have multiple users accessing simultaneously? 

I'll be testing the speeds only in the end of August unfortunately, the 4 NIC Intel card for my desktop is coming from China :| 

But the card is working and I can set each of the links to specific Docker apps I setup. 

Also I need to play around with my new switch TL-SG1024DE that can do link aggregation.

Why have 4 NICS? Because I have a desktop that I would like to back up - and backing up 3TB of data (half of which is SSD drives) could take a while. I'd like to speed up that process.

PS: 1 HDD saturates 1 LAN port easily - transfer speeds on current HDDs(even platter ones) are 150-200mb / second

Edited by test4321