XPEnology Community

Asrock Q1900-ITX/Q1900DC-ITX

On 7/22/2017 at 9:29 AM, pwvandeursen said:

successfully upgraded to 6.1.3 from 5.2 with Q1900!!

Tested it first on an empty system (that took a couple of tries to get right; VID,PID,Network etc), after that, updating my production system took 5 min! all packages working like a charme

Did you have to do 5.2 > 6 > 6.1? Any link to the guise you used is appreciated

• Like 1

Hmmm, I was looking to purchase a Synology DS916+ or go the DIY route with Rockstor. Really want to use the BTFS file system.Then I came across XPEnology and this thread. I have a Supermicro X10SBA-O(J1900) 8GB's of RAM and x4 3TB hard drives lying around that I will/could use.This is going to save me $$$ for more or bigger hdd's . BTW is all the storage configs working - - raid 5,6 etc ?? Or is raid 10 still the way to go with BTFS? Any info is appreciated. 

Upgraded on-metal to 6.1 without any data loss. Decided to plug a spare drive in using my Syba card and not seeing any disks on it, anyone had luck using a sata port expander w/ the 6.1 bootloader? Not using the extra ramdisk atm so not sure if that's all I need

On 2.8.2017 at 3:10 AM, Snake Plissken said:

Hmmm, I was looking to purchase a Synology DS916+ or go the DIY route with Rockstor. Really want to use the BTFS file system.Then I came across XPEnology and this thread. I have a Supermicro X10SBA-O(J1900) 8GB's of RAM and x4 3TB hard drives lying around that I will/could use.This is going to save me $$$ for more or bigger hdd's . BTW is all the storage configs working - - raid 5,6 etc ?? Or is raid 10 still the way to go with BTFS? Any info is appreciated. 

why not, raid5 is ok for 4 drives an can be expanded later, as the disks are empty there is no risk in trying

if you are intrested in hardware trancoding (you mention the 916+) this feature is now protected with serial number from synology, so no go for now

btw. if you are just intested in btrfs, you can use btrfs with open media vault, the wizard/gui doen not offer it but you can create it nabualy an use it with omv, i tryed my dsm created raid6/btrfs with omv and it showed up in omv (and in omv forum there was something about that btrfs will work if set up menualy)

but as far as i can see the synology way of using btrfs uses mdadm for the raid and on top of that there is btrfs as filesystem, so no btrfs native (integrated) raid, just a plain single volume with btrfs file system

• Like 2

On 4.8.2017 at 8:49 AM, Jurai said:

Upgraded on-metal to 6.1 without any data loss. Decided to plug a spare drive in using my Syba card and not seeing any disks on it, anyone had luck using a sata port expander w/ the 6.1 bootloader? Not using the extra ramdisk atm so not sure if that's all I need

what kind of chipset/chips are on this card?

whats the name of the card under which syba sells it?

Hello, noob here,  I already have un Synology Nas and never had the courage to try xpenology... Until some days ago, after reading this very helpful topic and decided to buy a cheap Q1900-ITX to give it a try.
I've installed 6.1.3 on a new disk and migrated those of the original Synology Nas I own, following Polanskiman "howto" and everything seems OK for now, but I have a question regarding CPU power management. For now, I disabled all the Bios settings regarding CPU power (speedstep, C7, CE1...). If I enable these features in Bios, will it work with Xpenology 6.1.3 or do I have to rely on the "S99PowersavingINTEL" script? If this script is the only option working, do I have to let the CPU power options in Bios disabled or enabled? Thank you for any help you could provide.

@Jurai: I have 2 disks plugged on a SYBA SY-PEX40039 (ASMedia 1061 chipset) working good on 6.1.3.

Edited by pmchan

1 hour ago, pmchan said:

Hello, noob here,  I already have un Synology Nas and never had the courage to try xpenology... Until some days ago, after reading this very helpful topic and decided to buy a cheap Q1900-ITX to give it a try.
I've installed 6.1.3 on a new disk and migrated those of the original Synology Nas I own, following Polanskiman "howto" and everything seems OK for now, but I have a question regarding CPU power management. For now, I disabled all the Bios settings regarding CPU power (speedstep, C7, CE1...). If I enable these features in Bios, will it work with Xpenology 6.1.3 or do I have to rely on the "S99PowersavingINTEL" script? If this script is the only option working, do I have to let the CPU power options in Bios disabled or enabled? Thank you for any help you could provide.

@Jurai: I have 2 disks plugged on a SYBA SY-PEX40039 (ASMedia 1061 chipset) working good on 6.1.3.

hrm, did you make any changes to the SataPortMap config option? I'm using the same card (SY-PEX40039)

Actually, looks like I'm having some kinda power issue, one of the midway sata power connectors isnt powering any of my drives for whatever reason even though the one that passes through it to the end works fine, and doesn't seem to be over powering the rail, gonna pick up some splitters and work around it

I didn't change the SataPortMap, just plugged 2 SATA drives and it worked (lucky me), but I suppose you found the real culprit with this power issue.

Regarding the CPU power states, I followed the S99PowersavingINTEL howto and it seems to work as it should, it varies from 1993Mhz to 1328Mhz and I set speedstep to enable, C State to C1 and C1E enabled, don't know if il was the right thing to do..?

The last thing not working is WOL and I didn't look the powerswitch script yet... But so far, so good!

Edited by pmchan

3 hours ago, pmchan said:

I didn't change the SataPortMap, just plugged 2 SATA drives and it worked (lucky me), but I suppose you found the real culprit with this power issue.

Regarding the CPU power states, I followed the S99PowersavingINTEL howto and it seems to work as it should, it varies from 1993Mhz to 1328Mhz and I set speedstep to enable, C State to C1 and C1E enabled, don't know if il was the right thing to do..?

The last thing not working is WOL and I didn't look the powerswitch script yet... But so far, so good!

Thanks for the help either way, can you link the S99PowersavingIntel guide? In regards to WOL, I have never been able to get that working on bare metal personally with my combination of router, I got it semi working over my lan, but could never get wan to route the magic packet to it

Did get all my disks online once I picked up a sata power splitter and just split the good connector off

Edited by Jurai

On 8/5/2017 at 7:33 AM, IG-88 said:

why not, raid5 is ok for 4 drives an can be expanded later, as the disks are empty there is no risk in trying

if you are intrested in hardware trancoding (you mention the 916+) this feature is now protected with serial number from synology, so no go for now

btw. if you are just intested in btrfs, you can use btrfs with open media vault, the wizard/gui doen not offer it but you can create it nabualy an use it with omv, i tryed my dsm created raid6/btrfs with omv and it showed up in omv (and in omv forum there was something about that btrfs will work if set up menualy)

but as far as i can see the synology way of using btrfs uses mdadm for the raid and on top of that there is btrfs as filesystem, so no btrfs native (integrated) raid, just a plain single volume with btrfs file system

I went the Rockstor route for now doing a raid 10 with LAG works like a charm.Tried OMV in the past and didn't like it at all was too buggy for my taste. I will be building a more powerful Xenology box sometime soon.Using the Supermicros MBD-A1SRi-2758F-O. Transcoding will only be needed remotely hence the more powerful build. Thanks for the Info non-the-less.

Edited by Snake Plissken

updated DSM to 6.1.3-15152 Update 3 without problems so far, I'm very pleased with this little Q1900, only missing feature at the moment is WOL, I can't make it works with S99ZZZshutdown.sh :( 
Can anyone confirm it's working in DSM 6.1.3 and is it the right way to do it?

On 17/07/2017 at 9:30 PM, pwvandeursen said:

Before going to my production system I wanted to test it with an old drive I still had lying around. It has an older version of DSM installed, however I forgot the password on it..... How can I reset the password with 6.1? Anybody have an idea?

I think you're going to have to re-install which is the equivalent of the RESET on the Synology models.