XPEnology Community

Asrock Q1900-ITX/Q1900DC-ITX

Well, it was kind of expected, but it was worth a try.

If you read the manual of any recent motherboard, you see that installing a M.2 SSD disables two SATA ports.

The Q1900DC manual states that the minipcie connector only can be used for a wifi module, but it seems it can be used for anything.

I am currently copying files back to redundant storage (new xpenology install :wink: and I see that the CPU maxes out at 25%. Neat.

Is that because I have an Intel nic installed ???

If I replace that with a pcie SATA card and using the Realtec motherboard nic, are there some performance penalties for that stunt ???

I just tested my new half-sized minipcie dual sata card:

http://www.kalea-informatique.com/mag/fr/product-8723648.htm

When this card is mounted, it replaces two of the mobo's sata ports.

Bummer it is...

However the mini pcie port can still be filled with lan card (with extender) vide http://www.speeddragon.com/index.php?controller=Default&action=ProductInfo&Id=499

And regular pcie port could be used for sata card...

So, instead of using the builtin Realtec powered lan port, you intend to use 2 Realtec powered lan ports.

It has an Asmedia chip too, it might do the same as the Asmedia chip on my minipcie sata card that seems to "steal" a pcie line or something similar.

But I'm really interested to hear from you if it works.

I have a Intel based lan card in the pcie slot already.

Have anybody benchmarked Realtek vs Intel nic's ???

Are there some severe performance penalties for using the Realtek chip ???

Hmm, does the xpenology software support gigabit networking using a usb3 <-> lan dongle ???

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using the Q1900DC-ITX and updated to Xpenoboot 5565, now my WOL doesn't work anymore.

I did the usual settings (the "g" and the startupscript) and also the

rmmod=8169 insmod=8168

in syslinux.cfg which worked before, but now it just doesn't WOL.

I also tried rmmod=r8169,r8169_new insmod=r8168

The command "ethtool -i eth0" even shows, that it uses r8168 instead of r8169, but no luck.

Also tried mac1:MYMACADDRESS and mac1=MYMACADDRESS (using my real MAC, of course, not separated by ":")

Anyone got a solution?

I'm using nanoboot 5.0.3.2 with DSM 5.0-4493 Update 7 on Hyper-V 2012R2 and everything is working wonderful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does Hyper-V support something equivalent to the ESXi Raw Disk Mapping function?

Are you able to pass through SMART data through the hypervisor to the DSM OS?

SMART is not working for pass through disks

Hi Schnapps

I have been following you, since i would like to build a "cheap lab" exactly like you :wink: , but i have 2 doubts which maybe you already have come across.

1 - If SMART is not passed you do not get warnings about a degraded disk, right ? do you have a workaround this?

maybe a trigger warning from the host could solve this

2 - If the SSD where the host/VM's are fails, how do you recover VM with XPenology and the SHDR1 inside? new installation would be sufficient?

would it make sense to have a RAID for the SSD from the Windows server 2012 called Storage Spaces?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

- ssh into your xpeno-box an edit syslinux.cfg on your boot stick (xpenology), ususally in /volumeUSB1/usbshare

- append mac1=aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff (replace aa:bb... with your actual mac) to all lines starting with 'APPEND'

- reboot

- start up dsm assistant, right click your xpeno-box an choose wol

- no need to flash the nic (at least for me)

Cheers,

Ole

Trying building my own or get the HP N54L Micro Server, what are the Pros and Cons?

Which one is more stable and faster?

N54L is fast enough and it will be hard for you to assemble a compact NAS case like it on your own with parts.

It is not hard but not sure if it makes sense to build one economically.

Trying building my own or get the HP N54L Micro Server, what are the Pros and Cons?

N54L is fast enough and it will be hard for you to assemble a compact NAS case like it on your own with parts.

It is not hard but not sure if it makes sense to build one economically.

Fair enough since "hard" could be interpreted as meaning "difficulty of effort".

as mentioned unless nobody mentioned it before. Its always cheaper to build something yourself Unless the parts you are putting cost so much it makes you question the validity of the project. there are a few people here who have certain network cards / raid cards that cost several thousand bucks. Seriously if im going that route id plunk down and buy an emc vnx storage cluster and tell synology to suck my digital dick.

Ok to get back on topic with the right amount of expectations you can buy a motherboard with decent specs for about $50-$150 it would kick the crap out of these n54l garbage boxes. Buy a fractal node case and a nice gigabyte mATX board and a nice low powered i3 and bam all under 500 - 400 you can have a blazing fast system.

Ive got one setup and man is it quiet sips little power if any and its got 6 sata connections. Its A LOT faster than the N54L 16GB ram paired with an i3 or i5 or i7 would be a serious machine. in fact my mediasmart server is faster than a microserver. older technology and limited to 4gb ram but is got a faster cpu

I know what you mean. mATX board and a Fractal Node case have crossed my mind, the only issue I have with them is that they are a bit too big and more power hungry. If I had the server placed in the garage then it probably would not have mattered so much but it would be sitting along side my desktop unless you pair it with Node 804 or like.

Today I installed Hyper-V using Windows 10 and then installed a lightweight Linux distro called Elementary OS as a VM. It is possible that I did something incorrectly but it was way slower than on my N54L with ESXI6 whose CPU is supposedly slower than the J1900.

Waiting for my PCI-E extender cable to arrive to install ESXI6 with a VGA card and see what that performance is like.

Well, you have 2 choices:

1. Take the "hypervisor HDD, mount it in another PC and start the ESX installation there. When done, just move the HDD back to the Q1900 PC.

2. Attach a standalone GPU to the Q1900 MB and perform the installation directly.