XPEnology Community

Asrock Q1900-ITX/Q1900DC-ITX

Hi,

Thank's a lot ! Informations on this forum help me a lot.

I'm thinking about buying a Q1900DC-ITX. is it possible to install DSM (bare-metal) with an HDMI port ?

Can I use the hdmi port to play video (on my TV) with DSM ? (maybe with XPEnoboot 5.1 ?)

If not, do you think it's a good idea to install DSM with hyper-v or VMware in order to play video with windows ?

Thank you again.

And sorry, my English is not so good.

B81: No way to play video in bare metal. HDMI is enabled but you will only see boot screen.

My problem is back. 14h+ without a problem and then the system hangs. I have to unplug power to be able to boot back to DSM.software, but XPEnoboot finishes without problem after each reset. This points to a HW error?

B81: No way to play video in bare metal. HDMI is enabled but you will only see boot screen.

My problem is back. 14h+ without a problem and then the system hangs. I have to unplug power to be able to boot back to DSM.software, but XPEnoboot finishes without problem after each reset. This points to a HW error?

If you have 2 memory sticks, try removing one of them and test the system. Be sure to have the only memory stick in the right slot according to the manual.

If the problem is still there, change the one stick with the other and do a new test. If it doesn't help, then at least you can rule out the memory.

Which psu do you have? Intel only has one 600W Corsair (GS600) on their list to be Haswell ready. http://www.intel.com/reseller/psu_selector/

You have to select coulumn "12V min-load 0A" to Yes to filter out Haswell ready psu.

Quote fråm Corsair: "According to Intel's presentation at IDF, the new Haswell processors enter a sleep state called C7 that can drop processor power usage as low as 0.05A. Even if the sleeping CPU is the only load on the +12V rail, most power supplies can handle a load this low. The potential problem comes up when there is still a substantial load on the power supply's non-primary rails (the +3.3V and +5V). If the load on these non-primary rails are above a certain threshold (which varies by PSU), the +12V can go out of spec (voltages greater than +12.6V). If the +12V is out of spec when the motherboard comes out of the sleep state, the PSU's protection may prevent the PSU from running and will cause the power supply to "latch off". This will require the user to cycle the power on their power supply using the power switch on the back of the unit."

If your psu is on the list and ok for Haswell, it still can be something wrong with it. Having to unplug power to drain all power from caps is as you said pointing to HW error.

Can you test with another psu, or test this psu in another computer?

I've read in lots of forum about people having different problems with this MB. (System not stable, can't boot, systems won't load and so on) :sad: Some of them had to replace the board and others had to change psu. A couple of those who got replacement MB got the same error back after a while. So I dont know about the quality of the MB. Mine has worked flawless so far :smile:

Whatever you do, do only one thing at a time, so you know what fixed it, if you manage to find the problem. Maybe contact the store where you bought the MB and see what they have to say. Maybe they have had to RMA other q1900-itx boards. If yours is the same batch, then most likely it will be affected as well.

Thanks Rockfire!

I would never have looked at the PSU as a problem otherwise. I've arranged for a exchange of the PSU and will go from there.

I'm also thinking about installing Linux or Win7 on a SSD to test long term stability to rule out any HW errors. But everything point to HW problems I think.

If all things fail I might go for a Pentium G3528 and run Hyper-v.

Cheers!

It doesn't matter. You can use a 1200W PSU and (theoretically) the energy consumption is the same as a 90W DC "power supply"

What it does matter, is that the PSU gives the right amount of power that the hardware needs.

For example, a 4x 4TB HDD with 2x DIMM RAM cards and 1x PCIe card with 2 SSDs consume 40W. If the DC power supply is 90W. So it should work just fine.

I found this - http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Q1900DC-ITX/

"DC Adapter Saves More Energy

Compared to other counterparts, this motherboard is powered by DC adapter and able to reduce power consumption by a maximum of 50% when idle and 38% at full loading! Without traditional PSU, you can save a lot of energy and be more friendly to our environments."

AM1-SaveEnergy-Q1900DC-ITX.jpg

This looks like BIG difference.

I think that the Seventeam ST-201MQ 200 watts used in the comparison it is not a good PSU.

This is just a commercial spot for sell the Q1900DC-ITX board.

Using a 80 Gold PSU with 88% efficiency the difference in power consumption between Q1900DC-ITX and Q1900-ITX is not much.

my q1900DC with Toshiba 65W powerbrick is using 13W, when disks are hibernated...with better powerbrick 12W is plausible...I have no idea how it compares to regular q1900 + good PCU

I get 17W idle with a bronze psu. With a titanium psu which must have at least 90% effectivity at 10% load, then you can probably match those figures.

New PSU which is certified for Haswell and no luck. Trying to replace the RAM next.

Cheers!

.A

Have you tried to clear CMOS?

Yup.

I just don't get this. The web interface dies, I can't find it in Synology assistant, but my router is connected (but doesn't show the name of the Nas) and I can log in with a keyboard. The disk has been stress-tested in other machine. Two PSUs are tested. Three components remain: MB, USB stick and RAM.

My suspects (in order) right now:

1) RAM

2) Bios settings

3) Our cat

4) Evil demons

Maybe I should try a new stick of SDRAM before getting exorcism for dummies from Amazon...

Cheers!

New PSU which is certified for Haswell and no luck. Trying to replace the RAM next.

Cheers!

.A

Have you tried to clear CMOS?

Yup.

I just don't get this. The web interface dies, I can't find it in Synology assistant, but my router is connected (but doesn't show the name of the Nas) and I can log in with a keyboard. The disk has been stress-tested in other machine. Two PSUs are tested. Three components remain: MB, USB stick and RAM.

My suspects (in order) right now:

1) RAM

2) Bios settings

3) Our cat

4) Evil demons

Maybe I should try a new stick of SDRAM before getting exorcism for dummies from Amazon...

Cheers!

I think the network dropout can be a driver issue. I've experienced it with both my systems.

You could change the network cable just to rule that one out.

Is the power going into your apartment/house stable?

Is the sata cable ok? (I think you have already changed that one?)

You could also try to eject the usb memory after the system is up and running, and remove it from the computer.

Thanks Rockfire, I really appreciate it!

How long between your network dropouts and does is need a reboot afterwards? My box crashes consistently within an hour or so.

Wow.. Not so often. :sad:

Maybe 1 or twice in a couple of month and a reboot is required afterwards.

What version of DSM do you use?

Hey everyone!

I am trying to get WOL to work. I have followed THIS tutorial but I got stuck. The machine hybernates itself, okay, but it will not wake up. The LAN port is also not blinking or anything. What do I have to set up in the BIOS? I have disabled the Deep S5, and enabled the WOL in the boot menu. What am I missing?

Also after some failed tries, I have removed (ctrl + M) the WOL from synology assistant and now I cant even reenable it.

I am using "XPEnoboot 5.1-5022.2"

I am sorry if this has been answered before, I didnt fint it.

Hi,

Thank's a lot ! Informations on this forum help me a lot.

I'm thinking about buying a Q1900DC-ITX. is it possible to install DSM (bare-metal) with an HDMI port ?

Can I use the hdmi port to play video (on my TV) with DSM ? (maybe with XPEnoboot 5.1 ?)

If not, do you think it's a good idea to install DSM with hyper-v or VMware in order to play video with windows ?

Thank you again.

And sorry, my English is not so good.

Can't use HDMI. But it does provide a magnificent set of DLNA tools to stream videos. If you don't own a smart TV, go for a cheap but capable Android-based player that you attach to the TV via HDMI. Preferably one that has Ethernet too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks again Rockfire. I see you're a fellow Swede- if you ever pass Gothenburg I'll buy you a beer.

Any settings in config. files or BIOS I might have missed?

New SDRAM module installed and still no luck so it's give up time. Sad because I really liked my system when it worked..

Mate, take my advice and go for a 180day installation of Windows Server 2012R2 add Hyper-V role and test xpeno as VM with passed-through disks but also the stability of the system.

Don't give up. :smile:

Mine is so stable with an UPS that I forget having it. Once the wife wanted to watch a movie and said "The NAS isn't working. I can't see it on TV." And I was "W T F?!?"... After doing some basic troubleshooting I found out that the router got stuck and wanted a reboot (after 382days) :grin:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks again Rockfire. I see you're a fellow Swede- if you ever pass Gothenburg I'll buy you a beer.

Any settings in config. files or BIOS I might have missed?

New SDRAM module installed and still no luck so it's give up time. Sad because I really liked my system when it worked..

I live only 80min from Gothenburgh. My wifes parents lives there, so we visit every now and then,

Might take you up on that beer. :smile:

As to the config files I haven't done any changes to them.

I powered the nas down and looked in the Bios. Turns out I am runnig all default. All Changes i made prior to the bios update seems to have reverted back to default. I was so eager to get the new hw up and running so I forgot that little thing after the update. :oops:

Have you tried a factory reset?

I hade to do that after 2 days, because some services began to fail. Couldn't find what caused it, so I did a factory reset and installed everything from scratch. The first atempt was an update from my test system which I moved to the new hw.

And as Schnapps said. Don't give up. :smile:

Thanks for the moral support guys :grin:

I installed win 7 and performed 12h stress tests. Guess what, no errors. So, system is stable.

I've been thinking about Hyper-V, but in that case it has to double as my main Win machine (on a Mac otherwise) and do HTPC and medium gaming tasks at the same time. Is this a bad idea? This of course need other HW.

Having ruled out "all" possible problem sources (I've asked the cat and hey, demons LOVE Win 7) a fresh install on a new disk is probably the last resort.

Looking good Schnapps!

Final attempt at bare metal here now. A fresh install has been up and running for 7h. My previous record is 14h so crossing fingers.

Edit: And, after 14h or so it crashed. I found this in the logs:

Feb 17 05:29:25 Simcoe kernel: [50287.631823] sched: RT throttling activated

Feb 17 08:38:21 Simcoe kernel: [61601.986647] ------------[ cut here ]------------

Feb 17 08:38:21 Simcoe kernel: [61601.986660] WARNING: at net/sched/sch_generic.c:255 dev_watchdog+0x220/0x230()

Feb 17 08:38:21 Simcoe kernel: [61601.986663] Hardware name: Synoden

RT throttling activated caused the crash? And after reboot this morning it complains about de_watchdog. These looks to be related.

Looking good Schnapps!

Final attempt at bare metal here now. A fresh install has been up and running for 7h. My previous record is 14h so crossing fingers.

Edit: And, after 14h or so it crashed. I found this in the logs:

Feb 17 05:29:25 Simcoe kernel: [50287.631823] sched: RT throttling activated

Feb 17 08:38:21 Simcoe kernel: [61601.986647] ------------[ cut here ]------------

Feb 17 08:38:21 Simcoe kernel: [61601.986660] WARNING: at net/sched/sch_generic.c:255 dev_watchdog+0x220/0x230()

Feb 17 08:38:21 Simcoe kernel: [61601.986663] Hardware name: Synoden

RT throttling activated caused the crash? And after reboot this morning it complains about de_watchdog. These looks to be related.

Be strong, young Jedi!