XPEnology Community

Asrock Q1900-ITX/Q1900DC-ITX

Okay I can live with 50MB/s since that's how fast I transfer to/from my ReadyNAS Pro 4 with 4x 3TB in raidz-1.

Just tested this J1900 with Plex transcoding. It can only handle one 1080p stream at a time for transcodes. I guess I was hoping too much out of this little Celeron. Highest temp I saw while transcoding was 53C. Idles around 40C. In a Fractal Node 304 case with fans on LOW.

Thank you Schnapps and everyone in this post for fixes/issues. I'm happy I got my server running.

CPU: J1900 2.0ghz Quad Core

MObo: Asrock Q1900-ITX

Case: Fractal Node 304

PSU: Corsai 400W (4 years old)

PCI-E Rosewill RC-216 SATA II controller card (2xSata II + 2x eSATA)

SSD OS: OCZ Arc 100 240gb

HDDs: 1x Seagate 6TB STBD6000100 (Passthrough)

Hyper-V: XPEnology + DSM 5.0 4528 Update 2

*Update* Copying files over to the xpenology showing about 20MB/s instead of the 50MB/s from earlier... looking like it's spiking up to 70MB/s, then down to 3MB/s and over and over.... is this a hyper-v issue or xpenology issue?

Hey guys. Does somebody try to change the MAC address on Q1900-ITX? On the Asrock site is the "MAC Address Writer" http://www.asrock.com/support/Download/MACTool.asp.

Will that works?

No, it will not work

MAC can be changed in xpenology by following some of the guides here: https://www.google.ro/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#safe=off&q=xpenology%20change%20mac

Okay I can live with 50MB/s since that's how fast I transfer to/from my ReadyNAS Pro 4 with 4x 3TB in raidz-1.

You could have much better performance on this hardware using bare-metal installation without Win2012 and Hyper-v overhead.

Tinkered with the box for the whole day and not sure what did it but now I transfer from windows 7 to xpenology hyper-v @ 75-80MB/s.

One of the things I did was in windows 7 command prompt:

netsh interface tcp set global autotuningl=normal

Many guides said disable... tried that first and speed fell even worse. Then today I made it normal and speed is now back up to better than before. Switching Cat5E cables didn't help and plugging it in to the unmanaged switch vs my Asus RT-AC68U didn't change a thing either.

Hello.

1) Someone can explain which configurations are needed on Bios to enable wol?

2) is wol working with nanoboot? on which version is ok?

3) Do I need to put this row?

menu_nano.lst kernel /zImage ihd_num=0 netif_num=4 sn=B3J4N02105 vid=0x0EA0 pid=0x2168 loglevel=0 vga=0x305 rmmod=r8169 insmod=r8168

Thanks!

Hello.

1) Someone can explain which configurations are needed on Bios to enable wol?

2) is wol working with nanoboot? on which version is ok?

3) Do I need to put this row?

menu_nano.lst kernel /zImage ihd_num=0 netif_num=4 sn=B3J4N02105 vid=0x0EA0 pid=0x2168 loglevel=0 vga=0x305 rmmod=r8169 insmod=r8168

Thanks!

1) pcie device power on (advanced\acpi configuration).

Don't forget usb 3.0 controller enabled (advanced\usb configuration).

2) yes. 5.0.3.2.

You need check what MAC address have your system.

dmesg | grep "eth".

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4492

3) In this row you need write Synology MAC and SN (see this forum), VID/PID your flashdrive, downgrade driver version (rmmod=r8169 insmod=r8168).

syslinux.cfg or menu_nano.lst.

4) http://www.xpenology.nl/wake-on-lan/

P.S. Sorry for my english.

Question: How much ram should I have for XPEnology?

I forgot to ask/look but I currently have 8gb ram total, 4gb for XPENology. I am now thinking this is too much? I don't run any apps in xpenology. Main thing I care about is transfer speeds(does it use ram as cache?)

Another question:

I wake my server from DS Finder app but not always start at first try..

Someone knows why?

Shutdown from DS Finder always works at first try.

I don't know. But my "DS" have long start, after run WOL.

You are welcome. I also had a problem with WOL.

Hello!

After hours of research I decided to to build a XPEnology NAS with Fractal Node 304 case (with 4 HDD's) and Q1900DC mobo. But one thing forgotten, how will I feed the 3 case fans?

There is only one case fan connector on the mobo, it could feed the 140 mm fan. There is a CPU fan connector as well, it might be powerful enough to feed one of the 92 mm fan. Is it? But what to do with the second 92 mm fan? Any recommendation? Can I use a splitter for the mobo case fan connector and use it for the 140 mm and 92 mm fan(s)? Or would it be too much load?

Another solution considered to connect a second power source directly to the MOLEX connector of the case.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Fractal_Design/NODE_304/images/innercablefc.jpg

Does anyone knows how the fan speed switch works on this case? On higy it use the 12V line, on medium "mix" the 5V and 12V, and on low use the 5V line? Or? I assume the low settings would be enough for me. Maybe a small 5V adapter connected to MOLEX 5V line could solve my problem.

Any help would be highly appreciated!

Thanx

nj

HI nickjames,

I have the case you're asking about.

The back of the case has a fan switch controller. It takes a molex 4 pin power to feed it. and in the controller has 3 connectors for your case fans. So all you really need is 1 4pin molex from your PSU and just plug the case fans into the controller. Easy.

******************************************************************************************************************

Second order of business. I reviewed my gigabit lan speed problem. A reminder of the pertinent:

Asrock Q1900-ITX

Windows Server 2012 R2(R2) + Hyper-V Xpenology(Xpe)

Gigabit lan from mobo to unmanaged gigabit switch then to the rest of my appliances like desktop and other NAS.

Transfer speeds:

Desktop <-> NAS 110MB/s either way (full gigabit)

Desktop <-> R2 70MB/s

Desktop <-> XPE 70MB/s

R2 <-> XPE 70MB/s!!! (it's essentially on the same machine but going from host to vm through ethernet? Maybe the gigabit is used by each direction and become 500mbit each way? no clue

NAS <-> R2 70MB/s

NAS <-> XPE 70MB/s

I googled for few hours tonight on this Realtek RTL8111GR or just realtek in general, also in connection with Windows Server OS's.

Tried many tricks, including the auto-neogotiate, left it back to auto in the end. Updated my drivers to the latest realtek.com/download one

The trick that worked better for me is: within the properties of the NIC, i disabled all the excess features except flow control(left it alone).

things like ARP offloading, energy efficient ethernet, green, interrupt moderation, checksum offland, large send offlads, NS offload, tcp and udp checksum offloads, wake's and WOL. Pretty much disabled EVERYTHING except Flow Control.

Now I get(iperf tcp blocks 64 and monitored through NetWorx(windows 7) and server 2012's resource monitor):

Desktop <-> R2 118MB/s

Desktop <-> XPE 100MB/s

NAS <-> R2 85MB/s

NAS <-> XPE 112MB/s

Maybe it's voodoo... but I was tired of seeing 40-60MB/s transfers when i know it should reach 100-110MB/s. Final testing with windows transferring a 2gb mkv file was ranging from 77-90MB/s in a saw tooth pattern.