XPEnology Community

Asrock Q1900-ITX/Q1900DC-ITX

What is the power consumption (bare metal / ESXI) using the Asrock Q1900?

I'm going to build a second 24/7 XPENology server.

Currently I'm wondering, wether a Celeron J1900 will save some money comparing against a Celeron Haswell or not.

I'm using nanoboot 5.0.3.2 with DSM 5.0-4493 Update 7 on Hyper-V 2012R2 and everything is working wonderful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does Hyper-V support something equivalent to the ESXi Raw Disk Mapping function?

Are you able to pass through SMART data through the hypervisor to the DSM OS?

SMART is not working for pass through disks

Currently I'm wondering, wether a Celeron J1900 will save some money comparing against a Celeron Haswell or not.

The J1900 - Bay Trail Intel chipset can't be (yet) used for VMware ESX-based installations as the setup is crashing.

My suggestion is to use a J1900 and go for either Hyper-V or bare metal. You can switch on the way too. Why J1900? Because it has a strong quad-core CPU that can handle and parallelize a lot of tasks. And because it has a TDP of 10W.

It's silent, strong and stingy in regards to electrical power.

There is a big difference between WD RED disks and other disks when talking about power consumption. Choose RED disks. You can also go for SSD drives as power consumption is near 0 in comparison to a WD RED drive but they're a bit pricey for their size :smile:

Take in consideration that (in theory), each PCI slot consumes in average between 10 and 15W of power (just with something plugged-in) If you want a 24/7 xpenobox and consume few watts/h don't use PCI slots.

My system consumes in full load CPU+Drives 37-38W. That's 2x 3TB WD RED disks and 2x 3TB Seagate disks

Cheers

The J1900 - Bay Trail Intel chipset can't be (yet) used for VMware ESX-based installations as the setup is crashing.

My suggestion is to use a J1900 and go for either Hyper-V or bare metal. You can switch on the way too. Why J1900? Because it has a strong quad-core CPU that can handle and parallelize a lot of tasks. And because it has a TDP of 10W.

It's silent, strong and stingy in regards to electrical power.

There is a big difference between WD RED disks and other disks when talking about power consumption. Choose RED disks. You can also go for SSD drives as power consumption is near 0 in comparison to a WD RED drive but they're a bit pricey for their size :smile:

Take in consideration that (in theory), each PCI slot consumes in average between 10 and 15W of power (just with something plugged-in) If you want a 24/7 xpenobox and consume few watts/h don't use PCI slots.

As info: I use a HP Nic in the pci-e slot and it rises the powerconsumption with 1 Watt. But a tv-card or other will use more!

- DSM 5.0u5

- Nanoboot (5.0.3.2)

- Q1900-ITX + 2GB RAM

- 2x3TB WD GREEN in RAID1

This is a result from ATTO:

bPSd1Wo.jpg

However when I copy 2GB file using TOTALCMD I get ~47-60MB while uplading, and 60-75 when download (the speed changes during operation).

Shouldn't I be able to get the ~100MB of speed when making such a linear copy operation?

I'm so happy about my now NAS, everything is working great with Q1900-ITX and xpenology! :smile:

What transfer rates are you getting on SMB protocol?

I'm going to test it because it looks a bit slower since i upgrade my laptop to win8. Now seems about 45MB/s it looks a bit slow, I have to make some new tests.

How are you testing it? My last test was ~80MB/s Writing and ~45MB/s Reading. The strange thing is that should be opposite!

Anyway I found a small problem, i tried to set up the jumbo frame to 9k, I got an error from kernel such it's not support! Looking over the mb specify it should be supported!

Someone tried it out?

I'm waiting some tips about software to test my nas again. I wanna try over linux too.

Host is Hyper-V 2012R2 and client is Windows 10 Technical Preview and mostly probably SMB3 is used

Don't forget that the speed of your rig is 100% connected to the RAID matrix used and the drives inside.

I have a SHR1 matrix with identical HDDs (well not identical but 3TB drives) and that's a RAID5 which is not the fastest but not the slowest.