XPEnology Community

Asrock Q1900-ITX/Q1900DC-ITX

I can confirm schnapps feedback, just tested:

Transcoding on xpenology@J1900: CPU.Load over 90%

Transcoding on win8@I3-2105 : CUP-Load over 90%

So I will go with plex transcoding on Q1900 and hope the nas services will not be impacted during the transcoding time.

Hi,

Good news, I solved my USB problem by going in the BIOS and put "Enabled" instead of "Automatic" on the USB 3.0

For the rest, everything was already configured like fufik65 suggested

Thanks!

By the way, do you know if it is possible to enable a MINIPCIe WiFi card? Indeed I did not find much info about it... Is it only a problem of driver?

I can confirm schnapps feedback, just tested:

Transcoding on xpenology@J1900: CPU.Load over 90%

Transcoding on win8@I3-2105 : CUP-Load over 90%

So I will go with plex transcoding on Q1900 and hope the nas services will not be impacted during the transcoding time.

The way Plex transcode is by default it will try and transcode 120 seconds of the video as fast as it can, that's why every CPU maxes out regardless of speed. Then it will throttle down and up as it tries to maintain that buffer.

While transcoding is CPU intensive it's also I/O intensive as there are combination reads and writes, if you don't want your NAS services to be impacted during the transcode I suggest you put your apps/Plex Temp folders on separate spindles then your media. Personally I use an SSD for my apps/temp and keep my media/files on a separate volume.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone!

Schnapps, can you confirm me that I can install mSATA SSD (and the another 4 SATA) in the Q1900? Because Asrock say that the mainboard have minipci-e half size...and maybe it can't be compatible with mSATA.

Thanks and regards.

Hi Tocinillo,

Natively, you can install 4 SATA HDDs and supplimentary, with a mini PCI-E half size or an addapter, you can have in total 5HDDs/SSDs in your Q1900-ITX box.

I also bought a 2x SATA Syba PCI-Express-Card (2 SATA-Ports with6 Gbit/s, PCI Express 2.0, PCIe x1) and i can squeeze more HDDs.

SATA2 is also working and is recommended if you have HDDs connected to the PCI-E SATAaddon card

I bought this motherboard and I would like to know if I can easily put the stick from my N36L with Nanoboot and my 4 diskdrives with DSM 5 in SHR-1 into this board and everything would work as it did before.

Anyone experience with this?

Theoretically and practically, if you just do a mobo transplant as i did, you will have no issues with your data.

So it's safe.

Hi everyone!

Schnapps, can you confirm me that I can install mSATA SSD (and the another 4 SATA) in the Q1900? Because Asrock say that the mainboard have minipci-e half size...and maybe it can't be compatible with mSATA.

Thanks and regards.

Hi Tocinillo,

Natively, you can install 4 SATA HDDs and supplimentary, with a mini PCI-E half size or an addapter, you can have in total 5HDDs/SSDs in your Q1900-ITX box.

I also bought a 2x SATA Syba PCI-Express-Card (2 SATA-Ports with6 Gbit/s, PCI Express 2.0, PCIe x1) and i can squeeze more HDDs.

SATA2 is also working and is recommended if you have HDDs connected to the PCI-E SATAaddon card

Nice! Thanks for your quick reply. So with a mini-pcie half size SSD the motherboard works fine? (because some motherboard doesn't work HDD/SSD in the mini-pcie, becuase it is only for wifi/BT modules).

Thanks again and regards.

• 4 weeks later...

hey guys

i have Xpenology running stable on my AsRock Q1900DC-ITX

The issue I am having now I believe power.

The machine runs fine with just 2-3 hard drives. Once I add the fourth, it will power on and shut down.

I'm assuming this is from power consumption. Does anyone know what laptop power adapter can power this four hard drives?

The one I am currently using is my Lenovo laptop brick. It says "20v 3.25amp"

Do I need a higher voltage? or amp?

i believe I am topped out on the voltage because the motherboard supports up to 19v. Does amp have anything to do with power output?

hey guys

i have Xpenology running stable on my AsRock Q1900DC-ITX

The issue I am having now I believe power.

The machine runs fine with just 2-3 hard drives. Once I add the fourth, it will power on and shut down.

I'm assuming this is from power consumption. Does anyone know what laptop power adapter can power this four hard drives?

The one I am currently using is my Lenovo laptop brick. It says "20v 3.25amp"

Do I need a higher voltage? or amp?

i believe I am topped out on the voltage because the motherboard supports up to 19v. Does amp have anything to do with power output?

Please google 'amps to watts.' P(W) = I(A) × V(V), Power in Watts = Current in Amps X Voltage in Volts

So your 20v 3.25 amp brick puts out 65 Watts. You need a more powerful AC adapter, probably 90 Watts at least.

• 5 weeks later...
Hmmm, switched to gnoboot. System booted just fine and wol works

Driver now reports:

ethtool -i eth0

driver: r8168

version: 8.037.00-NAPI

firmware-version:

bus-info: 0000:03:00.0

While nanoboot has r8169 2.3 LK NLP. Even if i prevent r8169 from loading and therefore r8168 version 8.038.00-NAPI is loaded, there is no wol possible.

So my wol problem is def driver related. I checked my ubuntu system and there is also no wol possible as sone as i use the latest driver r8169 version 8.038.00 for the 8111 networkdevice.

So suggesting to change driver in nanoboot towards early 8.037.00-NAPI

Trying to enable WOL with nanoboot (no luck so far). Any idea how to achieve the older driver in nanoboot?

Hi Guys, I bought this board two and have trouble getting it to work properly, i use the two sata 2 ports for two wd red 1tb drives in shr (1 redundant) and the sata3 port with a wd red 3 tb drive. the moment i use Nanoboot-5.0.3.2 DSM 5.0-4493 X64 the system crashes with a large file transfer. With gnoboot this problem is not there, does anyone reconize this problem or has a fix for it?

specs

ASRock Q1900-ITX

2x wd red 1tb (SHR with error tollerance)

1x wd red 3tb (SHR without error tollerance)

4gb (KVR13LS9S6/2)

Kingston DataTraveler 100 G3 8GB (with Nanoboot-5.0.3.2 DSM 5.0-4493 X64)

Hi everyone!

Thanks and regards.

Hi Tocinillo,

Nice! Thanks for your quick reply. So with a mini-pcie half size SSD the motherboard works fine? (because some motherboard doesn't work HDD/SSD in the mini-pcie, becuase it is only for wifi/BT modules).

Thanks again and regards.

mSATA and mPCIe use the same connector and each leaves certain pins reserved that the other can use with the exception of serial data which is differently specified for SATA vs PCIe. mPCIe support for USB (which is used for BT) and UIM (used for SIM cards) seems to be optional. It is up to the system designer how many of these they actually implement in their mainboard for an OEM design which is why people have different experiences when they plug WiFi, BT, WAN, mSATA storage, mPCIe storage or combo cards into their systems. Some data sheets will have a notation like "the mPCIe slot does not support BT" but most don't say anything.

An app note from the supplier of a chip that helps deal with the signal differences between SATA and PCIe data also sheds light on the pinouts in general and can be found at http://www.nxp.com/documents/application_note/AN11001.pdf

The actual specs at the PCISIG website seem to require a paid membership.

I have a HP N54L running successfully with Nanoboot NB_x64_5032_DSM_50-4493_Xpenology_nl and DSM 5.0 Update 7. Earlier today, I used the same USB boot stick and hard drives and connected them to my ASRock motherboard (BIOS 1.30) and was happy to see that Xpenology came right up.

However, while the Nanoboot console screen displays, it will not interact with the keyboard regardless of whether I connect it to USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 ports in the rear.

So I switch to Gnoboot 10.5. Again, system boots into Xpenology fine but keyboard will not interact with the Gnoboot console.

Are those of you running this motherboard able to use your console keyboards?

Thanks.

P.S.: For completeness, I should say that the keyboard works in the initial part of the boot process when you interact with grub, just not once you are at the DiskStation login prompt.