XPEnology Community

CPU Frequency scaling for DS918+

Trauma

On 5/14/2022 at 12:05 AM, chickey said:

Did you manage to get it working as i have the same on my system, i'll double check in the morning but i'm sure all states are enabled.

didn't figure out what's wrong,  I have decided to keep it as is until I get time to play with the server again with  next updates. please let me know if you find anything though. 

5 hours ago, bluecatus said:

I tested the script on both DVA3221 and DS918+ DSM 7.0.1 with the same results of failure.

2022-05-22 10_40_43-192.168.29.90 - PuTTY.png

As a side note does your system spin down the HDD if you configure it?  Mine doesn't so wondering if it's some C state issue although i have it fully enabled i believe in the BIOS.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, true said:

hi! had the same problem on rptc 7.1-42661 Update 1 (no such file or directory trying to cat scaling governor) and it was fixed after loading the acpi-cpufreq module manually (modprobe acpi-cpufreq). hope it helps!

Please help me loading the acpi-cpufreq module automatically every dsm starts.

Thanks.

22 hours ago, true said:

hi! had the same problem on rptc 7.1-42661 Update 1 (no such file or directory trying to cat scaling governor) and it was fixed after loading the acpi-cpufreq module manually (modprobe acpi-cpufreq). hope it helps!

Thanks @true, I've waited a while for someone to report if manually loading the driver worked on 7.1. 

Could someone report the output of this command please, after loading acpi-cpufreq :

lsmod| grep "cpufreq"

Just want to make sure all dependencies are loaded before fixing the script, thks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Trauma said:

Thanks @true, I've waited a while for someone to report if manually loading the driver worked on 7.1. 

Could someone report the output of this command please, after loading acpi-cpufreq :

lsmod| grep "cpufreq"

Just want to make sure all dependencies are loaded before fixing the script, thks.

image.png.c55c5e6f39ff61d6e9cb45d6cf845694.png

• Like 1

Guys, I know these are dummy questions but I'm new to it so..) Just want to be sure if doing everything right.

1. Downloading scaler.sh and correcting the number of cores.

2. Uploading it to some folder.

3. Adding a triggered task with a script like this modprobe acpi-cpufreq && bash /var/services/homes/scripts/scaler.sh &

4. Triggering it manually for now.

Is there anything else I need to do (except playing with load parameters)? It's just I had a Xeon 2640v3 engineering sample and a X99 motherboard laying around))) So not sure if the problem is me doing something wrong with the script or just a Xeon ES standard issues. Cause no changes on the wattmeter's display whatsoever. It's DSM 7.1.2.

Edited by pioneer_ma

Hi, I came across this topic searching for a way to scaling the CPU on DS3615xs DSM 7.0.1. CPU scaling has been set up through cpufrequtils for this same machine when it was on 6.2.3, now it seems ondemand mode is missing from the governor in DSM 7.0.1.

I tried the script here, I got:

root@xxx:~# /usr/local/bin/scaler.sh &
[1] 19296
root@xxx:~# /usr/local/bin/scaler.sh: line 48: /sys/bus/platform/devices/cor            

etemp.0/hwmon/hwmon0/temp1_input: No such file or directory

Any idea?

5 hours ago, shadowcliffs said:

Hi, I came across this topic searching for a way to scaling the CPU on DS3615xs DSM 7.0.1. CPU scaling has been set up through cpufrequtils for this same machine when it was on 6.2.3, now it seems ondemand mode is missing from the governor in DSM 7.0.1.

I tried the script here, I got:

root@xxx:~# /usr/local/bin/scaler.sh &
[1] 19296
root@xxx:~# /usr/local/bin/scaler.sh: line 48: /sys/bus/platform/devices/cor            

etemp.0/hwmon/hwmon0/temp1_input: No such file or directory

Any idea?

This happen when the script try to get the current temperature of the CPU (overheat protection), if you can find out a way to get this information on your config I could adapt the script.

Processor J3455, script

currtemp=$(cut -c 1-3 </sys/bus/platform/devices/coretemp.0/hwmon/hwmon0/temp1_input)

does not correctly display the temperature of 3 digits, so the processor is always in cooling mode.

currtemp=$(cut -c 1-2 </sys/bus/platform/devices/coretemp.0/hwmon/hwmon0/temp1_input)

now everything is OK))