XPEnology Community

Cloning Synology disk to new (bigger) disk..

Hostilian

Question

Wondered if anyone could recommend a bootable (USB preferably) cloning tool that works for Synology disks please?

Free please.. There are plenty out there..

One of my Syno boxes has 4 disks and only 4 SATA ports - so no option to add another disk in and move stuff to the new drive..

I wanted to replace a 250GB SSD with a 500GB SSD - without having to reinstall anything..

Anyone tried Clonezilla to clone a Synology disk (or do you have a recommendation)?

It needs to be able to scale to bigger drives.

Thanks!

8 answers to this question

Your limitations on disk bays, and your procedure is making it much harder than it needs to be.

Synology will automatically expand your volumes when you grow in a "normal" fashion (i.e. mirror a larger HDD, etc).  Your idea of the RAID1 migration would have accomplished this.

The only way to expand now is to manually edit via command line.  There are a million different permutations between RAID/LVM/non-LVM/etc that Synology's scripts handle without fuss.  Not so easy to address all those permutations manually... the solution is probably pretty simple, but be sure you know what you have before just blindly executing commands that edit your partition and filesystems.

See: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/14091-esxi-unable-to-expand-syno-volume-even-after-disk-space-increased/

It's a basic disk at present - and I thought that if you mirrored the drive, it would be the same size of volume/stroage pool as the existing disk - so I'd be stuck in the same place I am now..

(Although I wouldn't have the original disk I took the clone of, just part of a broken mirror)..

Anyway, going to remove a mech disk, add in the SSD, create new SP/Vol and just transfer stuff over to it..

A bit fiddly, TBH...

How is your system configured?

Disk setup? JBOD, RAID0-5, SHR1-2?

If you are using a setup with disk redundancy, the far easiest would be (in my opinion) to just pull a disk out, insert a new one and repairing/expanding with the new disk.

As long as the drive's recognised after I put it back in, then yeah, possibility..

Was thinking I could maybe..

-Take out one of the mech disks..

-Add the new SSD in as a RAID1 drive with the current SSD (the one I will be replacing). Let data mirror complete..

- Shutdown then remove the old drive. Switch the new SSD onto the old SSDs SATA port..
- Boot up, should show as degraded.. Break the Mirror by removing any RAID on the disks..

- Shutdown, put original mech disk back in and boot up..

Only thing I'd need to do would be to extend the size of the volume on the new, bigger, SSD..

Doable?

OK. Cloned the 250GB SSD to a 500GB SSD using the default options in Clonezilla.
Worked fine. Able to plug it back into the Syno and boot without an issue.

The disk size has been updated to 500GB in DSM.

HOWEVER.. The Storage pool and volumes have not increased in size.. They're still sitting around 228GB..

Next Question.. How to I increase the size of the Storage Pool (and then Volume, I guess) to fill this 500GB drive?