XPEnology Community

How to install nanoboot to internal SSD

Stonestrong

Hi all,

i would like your help on this subject: from a previous project i still have an SSD around so i would like to run my OS from the internal SSD instead of the USB drive. Many guides are available on how to create a bootable USB drive, both in linux and windows, but could somebody explain me how i can install nanoboot on the SSD that sits currently inside the server running DSM of a USB drive?

Currently the following disks are connected:

DiskStation> df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/md0                  2.3G    551.3M      1.7G  24% /
/tmp                      3.7G    684.0K      3.7G   0% /tmp
/dev/vg1000/lv            3.6T    288.9M      3.6T   0% /volume1
/dev/sdu1                30.8M     12.3M     18.6M  40% /volumeUSB1/usbshare
/dev/vg1001/lv          105.6G    188.0M    105.3G   0% /volume2

/dev/md0 is the USB drive, /volume1 is my storage drive & /volume2 is the SSD where i would like to copy nanoboot to.

I only have a laptop available, so connecting the SSD to another system is not possible. Only possibility i see is boot regular Ubuntu from the USB, mount the SSD & do the same process as i did on my laptop to previously make the USB drive bootable. Hope there is a faster option available though so i can do the same through SSH on DiskStation OS.

>i would like to run my OS from the internal SSD instead of the USB drive

Sorry I can't help in what you're asking, but it's worth pointing out that you only boot from USB - the OS is actually on your storage disks (distributed redundantly if you have more than one). You might be embarking on a world of pain for very little value.

Stop thinking that you want to run DSM from a SSD. It's not working and it's not worth it. Period.

Your DSM is feeling way better on all HDDs from the volume you have than on an SSD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk