XPEnology Community

[Guide] How to expand the volume if DSM doesn't want to

That's very interesting! If you also experience this problem on a physical PC running NanoBoot, then I would suggest that it's either something that is not emulated correctly by NanoBoot or a problem with drivers/controllers.

Thinking out loud:

might help if we post configurations to aid with the trouble shoot process. VM's are obviously different to physical boxes. I have swapped out smaller disks for larger, swapped bad disks for good, added SATA cards and added disks to the cards, added and removed disk while system is running, across versions of gnoBoot and Nanoboot all without issues on Intel based systems.

System -

ZOTAC Atom Dual-Core 1.6GHz/MCP7A-ION/DVI&HDMI/A&V&GbE/Mini ITX Motherboard IONITX-G-E x2

2x1GB DDR2

SATA Card IO Crest 2 Port SATA III PCI-Express x1 Card (SY-PEX40039)

HDD of all types

I have had mixed results with other boards/chipsets, some ok, others not so much, tend to avoid AMD systems

Intel based systems seem to provide most stable experience.

No experience with VIA, ARM or VM's even though I run VM for other purposes.

The ZOTAC Atoms are 24x7 systems

I tried an test build with 6 disks. started with 2 disks and then added on bye one and it worked. and then I build the real rigg with 2 x 4tb as one volume and then added 3 disks one bye one. and with the last disk number five it says that it is ready to be expanded to 14 tb something and when I start it it stops before it even gets to 0,01 procent :sad: and I have fild the disks with media and don't want to lose it.

my rigg is

i7 960

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R V2.0 Motherboard Intel X58 Express LGA 1366 DDR3

5x4 tb segate nas hd

6gig corsair mem

650 corsair power

I've tried that and it did't go very well. The volume got marked as crashed, set to read-only and I could not get it to rebuild itself.

DSM asked me to reboot in order to fix issues with the volume, but it didn't do anything upon a new boot (as I guess GnoBoot/NanoBoot does not support this).

I've tried that and it did't go very well. The volume got marked as crashed, set to read-only and I could not get it to rebuild itself.

DSM asked me to reboot in order to fix issues with the volume, but it didn't do anything upon a new boot (as I guess GnoBoot/NanoBoot does not support this).

okey that's to bad. wounder what it could be :sad: I was so happy that my test build worked and now with the real setup it dose not work. and I don't have anywhere to backup my data :sad:

I also found this thred. have you loked in to that

http://59-124-41-244.hinet-ip.hinet.net ... =7&t=56468

can someone help me with the commands in the text below?

when I log in with putty as root I get in to my nas and then I tried to enter the command like this "umount /volume1" and enter butt it says umount/volume1: not found

Make sure all users on all PC's are logged out on all the shares of the volume (also make sure all network drives on all PC's are disconnected!)

Via ssh try to "umount /volume1"If that fails, shut down all connected network shares

If that still fails, look with "smbstatus" if there are no locked connections => if you see locked connections, look at the pid (process id) of the smb process, and issue a

"kill " per process

"umount /volume1" again

Issue a "fsck.ext4 /dev/md2" (this can take some time), if you want an unattended fsck issue "fsck.ext4 -y /dev/md2" <= in this case all fix operations will be executed automatically w/o prompts to the user (=you) to enter yes/no for the execution

After checking / fixing is complete, "mount /volume1"

Your volume should now come back online and you should be able to successfully expand the volume via the Storage Manager

If you keep getting problems unmounting the /volume1 directory, do a:

"mount -o remount,ro /volume1" instead of "umount /volume1".This will make the volume read-only, you can then fsck the /dev/md2.

I get this when I type the command vgdisplay -v.

how do I change the size of the Total PE / Free PE 3810823 / 0 ?

TVIX> vgdisplay -v

Finding all volume groups

Finding volume group "vg1000"

--- Volume group ---

VG Name vg1000

System ID

Format lvm2

Metadata Areas 1

Metadata Sequence No 9

VG Access read/write

VG Status resizable

MAX LV 0

Cur LV 1

Open LV 1

Max PV 0

Cur PV 1

Act PV 1

VG Size 14.54 TB

PE Size 4.00 MB

Total PE 3810823

Alloc PE / Size 3810823 / 14.54 TB

Free PE / Size 0 / 0

VG UUID Md51rm-ke80-E104-cN2s-fuJT-Dbqo-WiOIN3

--- Logical volume ---

LV Name /dev/vg1000/lv

VG Name vg1000

LV UUID YiBJnA-k8yD-F2rq-Aj5t-rgwL-rkmz-UQG2SW

LV Write Access read/write

LV Status available

# open 1

LV Size 14.54 TB

Current LE 3810823

Segments 1

Allocation inherit

Read ahead sectors auto

- currently set to 4096

Block device 253:0

--- Physical volumes ---

PV Name /dev/md2

PV UUID H5YF1N-iNUc-CmJM-fjbZ-yKyp-Srz8-QdcwQJ

PV Status allocatable

Total PE / Free PE 3810823 / 0

Even after upgrading to ESXI and having no issues whatsoever, I got the same problem again after inserting disk no. 11 and 12.

My next question is.. might this issue only be related to SHR/SHR-2 or also traditional Raid 5 and 6. Anyone having this problem with raid 5/6?

There has to be a "magical" ~14TB limit...

this last 2 weeks I replaced 2x2TB with 2x3TB and had similar issue regarding expansion of capacity. Volumes were all hot swapped. As soon as I rebooted the option to expand appeared.

I start the expansion and it stops straight away. Running 4.3-3810. with SHR1

Followed instructions from further up the page but no joy.

Tried umount /volume1 but get a device busy or in use, cannot see what has a hold of the volume, all shares are shutdown, no PC's accessing shares. Next this is to power off any media devices or smart TV's attached to SHARES via media server

16TB Volume(not disk group) limit. Disk Groups limit = size of wallet.

Issue on Trantor 4-3-3810 system is a bad file system stopping expansion. While the various "how to's" point in the right direction I can not correct FS problem and therefore can not expand the volume.

A little more light reading

after a hard crash of server.

-Plugged in monitor.

-Reboot

-login to DSM

-Storage Manager > Expand volume and watch monitor traffic

-Expand fails and last line on console "no reserved gdt blocks can't resize"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/656115

This outside my pay grade so it's a clean install for from here

16TB Volume(not disk group) limit. Disk Groups limit = size of wallet.

Issue on Trantor 4-3-3810 system is a bad file system stopping expansion. While the various "how to's" point in the right direction I can not correct FS problem and therefore can not expand the volume.

A little more light reading

after a hard crash of server.

-Plugged in monitor.

-Reboot

-login to DSM

-Storage Manager > Expand volume and watch monitor traffic

-Expand fails and last line on console "no reserved gdt blocks can't resize"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/656115

This outside my pay grade so it's a clean install for from here

so in volume1 that I have is a 16tb limit?

found something about making volume bigger then 16 tb to be able to expand further . and if you make an volume smaller then that you can only expand to 16bt