XPEnology Community

GIGABYTE J1800N-D2H USB ports

belami

Hello,

my first post, so I would like to thank the XPEnology enthusiasts for their great work!!! The forum was very helpful for setting up my first XPEnology with much more power than my 2 original Synology DS have.

I set up my NAS on a GIGABYTE J1800-D2H with 1 SSD and one 2TB WD red, Nanoboot and DSM 5.0 build 4493 with update 1 succesfully.

Now to my problem:

I cannot use the USB ports on it, neither the USB stick with nanoboot nor an external USB HDD is recognized, it says no external devices.

When I plug the USB HDD (used for backup of my old Synology DS) into any Synology, no problem with recognition and mounting.

I read several threads for activation of USB ports for Microserver etc., but I am no Linux expert and do not want to mess up this installation I made so far.

What I did is that I tested activating and deactivating EHCI and XHCI, USB3.0 suppert etc., without success

Does someone have an idiotproof manual how to activate the USB ports on this MB?

Thx

Unfortuantley I have been looking for a solution and not found one as I want to use the same for my DIY nas. My only thought would be to get a known xpenology working PCI card with USB ports on it. Have you thought about that?

Does your LAN work okay, have you tried WOL and lastly does scheduled startup/shutdown work?

Other then that, what's performance like? Any ideas of powe usage?

J

There is only one PCIe slot which I wanted to use for additional SATA if it would be necessary some day.

LAN works, Scheduled start-up/shut-down was not tested so far as the last 4 days it was running nonstop for file transfer and tests.

WOL works.

The performance is excellent, web apps and GUI are very responsive, CPU and RAM (4GB) utilization is 5% and 16% when copying a large file.

Regarding power usage, I did not measure.

I also have the USB issue but still switching from an AMD E-350 27W TDP to an ASRock 10W TDP is pretty nice in regards to power efficiency.

Power consumption dropped from 57W to 38W

WOL and schedules are working for me.

I tried installing ESX. Quite disappointed it's not working :sad:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Asrock Q1900-ITX mainboard, nanoboot, DSM5.0 4493 update1, USB work fine,

I can use usb tv stick with video station,

power consumtion 24W idle, full load 48W.

but I have a question, this cpu is 4 core, but my xpenlogy only show 2 core at control panel > Info center,

how can I fix the problem?

Thanks for help

no.jpg.7d4917600fecaf32d6bb36e3fed509f0.jpg

So the USB ports on the Q1900 work and the J1800 not and there is no way to make them work? No workaround or drivers or something like that?

When I switch to the Q1900, will the system work plug and play or do I have to modify something on the nanoboot stick?

sobong, just ignore what's written in the info panel. Parts of information from there are hardcoded. You also don't have an i3 CPU, right :wink:?

The info panel for the DSM we are using was hardcoded for a specific type of hardware.

Generally, I have no idea why a developer would hardcode anything in his code but let's assume is for good reasons.

yqa2uhyh.jpg

I also have the USB issue but still switching from an AMD E-350 27W TDP to an ASRock 10W TDP is pretty nice in regards to power efficiency.

38w still seems a lot given your cpu won't use more then 10W, are you using a picopsu?

J

So the USB ports on the Q1900 work and the J1800 not and there is no way to make them work? No workaround or drivers or something like that?

When I switch to the Q1900, will the system work plug and play or do I have to modify something on the nanoboot stick?

does anyone have experience in changing the mobo of a XPEnology box?

does anyone have experience in changing the mobo of a XPEnology box?

I did it for several colleagues. Very easy if you have basic hardware knowledge

38w still seems a lot given your cpu won't use more then 10W, are you using a picopsu?

J

I have 5 SATA 7200rpm HDDs. These use about 5-9W each, depends on the HDD. The WD RED are power friendly :wink:

PS: I have a 450W PSU

Then and now 'confirmed that the asrock q1900 works perfectly with xpe?

the usb work now after the last aggiormaneto bios.

If it works also for audio ...

thank you

sorry but I'm waiting to buy it.

P.S. but this bay trail j1900 is 'faster AMD Turion N54L

Then and now 'confirmed that the asrock q1900 works perfectly with xpe?

the usb work now after the last aggiormaneto bios.

If it works also for audio ...

thank you

sorry but I'm waiting to buy it.

P.S. but this bay trail j1900 is 'faster AMD Turion N54L

Assuming that aggiormaneto is actually "aggiornamento" and you are reffering to a bios update, i just want to say that i had 2 weeks ago the latest bios i could find from BIOS itself. Did I understood correctly that there is a newer bios version and fixes some issues?

Thanks

Victor

Unlikely, the last bios update is F4 released back on 29th April 2014 for gigabyte.

The motherboard referred to on the first page is an asrock one

That bios was updated to 1.20 back on 6/3/2014 which improved usb capability. Can't tell if the mean march or June.....

J

I'm considering one of the ASRock boards, they seem to offer more for the money. One question I have, that would concern all J1900 boards, concerns the USB configuration. I know the 1900 has a great many USB2 ports, what I want to know though is how they are arranged, that is, what does the Universal Serial Bus Controllers list in Device manager look like. Does any one who has the Q1900-ITC, Q1900DC-ITX or Q1900TM-ITX be able to share that info? What I'm looking for is the number of USB Host Contopllers. I know some boards have a Renesys cihp for USB3.

The reason I am asking id that I have a USB-S/PDIF converter, which accepts input from a USB2 port, and works much better if it's the only device on that controller. I won't be adding much else, just a kbd and mouse (wireless). If there are more than on Host Controllers I'd be very happy :smile: This's meant to be a dedicated audio HTPC.

BTW the USB sound device is a DXIO PRO 3, it gives wonderful sound, very clean and among the best I've heard. I'd very highly recommend them, especially over onboard sound, no matter the chip. There's no coincidence that manufacturers have tried shielding, daughter boards, 'audio only' sections of motherboard. This gets the signal out of that environment as quick as it can, via USB.

TIA

Rob

I have Q1900-ITX and I'm using an older version of nanoboot and DSM 5.0-4482 and my USBs are not working, so guessing the issue comes from either nanoboot or DSM. Nanoboot mostly probable.

I will upgrade this evening to the latest nanoboot and then to the newest DSM and tell you what's the cause.

Thanks for your feedback

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...