XPEnology Community

Occasionally unreachable N54L w/6.2.2

phguk

Every now and again (maybe once a month) my HP Microserver N54L running 3615s 6.2.2-24922 Update 2 becomes unreachable (I can't login and pings fail). The expedient action is to simply remove power from the server then reboot. I don't think this behavior is related to newer levels of DSM and previously I've simply ignored this irritant. I have power schedule enabled (05:00-23:59) which seems to work as designed. When I look in the DSM logs, they show a reboot but nothing else relating to the hang or preceding events.  Sadly I can't reproduce because it happens very infrequently and up to now, I've simply learned to live with this. 

Does anyone have suggestions as to the likely cause ?   Thanks Paul

If it's so random and far apart like that first thing that comes to mind is hardware issue. Perhaps PSU, or overheating? Could also be some very short power failures? Difficult to say. Are you sing a UPS? I would recommend a cleanup to make sure to remove any accumulated dust and also re-apply some thermal paste on the CPU for good measures.

Le 06/08/2019 à 15:59, Polanskiman a dit :

Yes but you shouldn't live with it as that could potentially be damaging/corrupting files or perhaps be an indication that something isn't functioning right on a software or hardware level. Also good to know the reason of why this is happening.

Hello,

getting more or less the same thing for the last month. 6.2.2 on an N40L. 

getting the node totally unreachable, and need to press the on/off button. Nothing in the log, just an unexpected shutdown.

Any idea ? 

My N54L  (6.1.7)  is also on a power schedule and occasionally I find it "unresponsive" - or rather I discover that one of the services it provides has stopped working.

Blue light on but nothing doing. Power button to force off and restart cures it. The log shows the box shutting down on the power schedule but the next entry is for the forced boot.

I did various things like using a brand new USB key thinking it might have become a bit suspect over the years but the problem comes back.

But then I found the box one night when it was supposed to be off, sitting there showing the blue light as if it is on but the box was unresponsive. I think (and I can't remember whether I have seen anything on this forum to confirm), that the problem is that the box is failing to shut down cleanly. And as a result, the BIOS can't turn it back on.

I tell myself that next time instead of hard booting it I will take monitor and keyboard over to where the box lives and seeing if anything is still running but I've been telling myself that for a few months now.

Edited by billat29
add software version

16 hours ago, billat29 said:

My N54L  (6.1.7)  is also on a power schedule and occasionally I find it "unresponsive" - or rather I discover that one of the services it provides has stopped working.

Blue light on but nothing doing. Power button to force off and restart cures it. The log shows the box shutting down on the power schedule but the next entry is for the forced boot.

I did various things like using a brand new USB key thinking it might have become a bit suspect over the years but the problem comes back.

But then I found the box one night when it was supposed to be off, sitting there showing the blue light as if it is on but the box was unresponsive. I think (and I can't remember whether I have seen anything on this forum to confirm), that the problem is that the box is failing to shut down cleanly. And as a result, the BIOS can't turn it back on.

I tell myself that next time instead of hard booting it I will take monitor and keyboard over to where the box lives and seeing if anything is still running but I've been telling myself that for a few months now.

Not sure how this is related with the OP. His box does not become unresponsive due a power schedule. In fact his power schedules work. His issue seems more random.

You are most probably right.

But power schedule works for me nearly all of the time.

I offered it as a thought as the process I went through was:

1) Box stops working sometimes. Needs a hard boot. What's causing it to crash?

2) Actually, the problem is that it doesn't boot up from the power schedule. Better look at the boot process. Maybe a new USB key is needed.

3) Hang on. Maybe the problem is actually shut down related.

But yes. I can't remember if you have one of these, but if you have you will know that they are terrible dust collectors and so  it would be worth opening it up, pulling the disks out, maybe the main board too, cleaning and then making sure all the connectors are re-seated properly when it goes back.

I appreciate all the input and am vaguely encouraged that I'm not the only one with a N54L that sees occasional "blips". Because my power schedule involves shutdown overnight, it's difficult to determine whether the lack of responsiveness occurs after the unit has been successfully restarted in the morning, or (as Billat29 speculates) may be because of shutdown problems the night before.