XPEnology Community

Xpenology 5.0 on old NetApp StoreVault

Roachy

To preface this, I have been reading every thread, website and tried everything possible before posting this...

I am currently trying to repurpose a old NetApp StoreVault s500 and install the most recent Synology 5.0. Unfortunately, due to the fact that it is an "older technology" and has specific bios limitations, I am limited to 686 based architecture and need to be able to use the onboard RAID controller. The RAID controller that is in the StoreVault connects to 12 hot swap SATA drives; the one controller has two Marvell Chipsets to support the 12 drives; 88SX6081-BCZ and 88SX6041-BCZ.

That being said, I have already built multiple "XPEnology" builds on Virtualbox and ESX, but porting it to this physical box is tricky. I believe I have come to the conclusion that the issue is the Marvell Controller/Chipset.

I have already turned the StoreVault into a Linux box, so I know that it can be converted into a usable appliance. The StoreVault has two USB ports on the back, so I have leveraged those to put various "Synology Boot Images" to boot and attempt to detect the 12 SATA drives. The boot images I have tried are all the recent various permutations of Nanoboot IMG files, ISOs, etc. I booted into Verbose/Debug mode and, while all drives were detected, all drives threw multiple errors due to some type of ATA issue.

I built a Linux VM and am beginning to build/rebuild a custom kernel, but, to be honest, I am getting completely frustrated. I have attached a pic of the errors I am encountering.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

photo.JPG.cac99fe954f9922d75e5034b9d6f1e8e.JPG

• 10 months later...

I too have an S550 that I want to re-purpose and have also been able to install Ubuntu on one of the 12 drives in the unit, I cannot find any way to configure the raid outside of the Netapp Ontap software.

Does the Marvell controller have a BIOS setup page you can access to configure the RAID independent of Ontap?

Have you had any luck with this device?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

i have a Thecus N5200 NAS and was lucky to get a dsm 4482 version installed but i have the problem that it does not show any of the drives online and its taking hours on the bootscreen while nanoboot tries to fin the disks.

• 4 weeks later...

I gave up in the end and stuck Windows Server 2008 on the S550, had a job finding a SATA controller driver but in the end found an adaptec driver that worked a treat!

I now have a Win 2008 server installed on drive 1 with drives 2 - 12 as a RAID5 array, and also running all the services I need!

• 2 weeks later...
I gave up in the end and stuck Windows Server 2008 on the S550, had a job finding a SATA controller driver but in the end found an adaptec driver that worked a treat!

I now have a Win 2008 server installed on drive 1 with drives 2 - 12 as a RAID5 array, and also running all the services I need!

trb, can you give more details on what you had to do to get it installed? I have the s500 and it needs 'something' for us to move forward. windows installed to it would be great.