XPEnology Community

The best case for 12-bay xpenology

azonin

What is the best computer case or enclosure that will accommodate 12 x 3.5" drives? I'm looking for something compact and quiet. I could watercool it if necessary.

Either cube-box or rack-mount suggestions are welcome. Full towers suggestions are welcome ONLY if they are not monster-sized cases like Case Labs.

I'm trying to build en equivalent of DS3612xs or DS2413+. I was waiting for Synology to announce their 2014 version of the 12-bay cube, but they only announced the rack-mount models.

Hunt ebay for an old supermicro sc933 chassis

Maybe get lucky and find a SCSI version cheap, then hunt ebay for either a sas expander backplane or the plain 15x sata port backplane.

Swap fans for some quiet ones and you will have a nice system.

As a tip, these are also rebranded into "riverbed steelhead" application accelerator's.....usually come with some power hungry dual AMD motherboard inside.

Sell that off to recoup some cost :wink:

Thanks! Any suggestions for a non-rackmount case?

Anything / something with lots of front 5.25" bays

Then you can easily add "4in 3" or "5in 3" bay devices.

I have an old cooler master stacker, so with 4 of the 4 in 3 devices that easily takes 16 drives.... And could hold 20 with a swap to more expensive 5 in 3 devices....

Slightly large than a normal full tower, but more benifit I guess

Another good one "rack mount" ....but remove the ears and it's just a small tower on its side..... Is the se3016 jbod

Cheap and holds 16drives with a sas expander included.

Attach any computer to it with an external sas HBA and a sff8088 cable.... Ebay on e again is your friend :wink:

• 2 weeks later...